mysore masala dosa recipe with stepwise photos – now here is a recipe of mysore masala dosa much different than the mumbai mysore masala dosa which i had posted before.
the recipe is like the mysore masala dosa served in the bangalore and mysore restaurants. by the way, i have had mysore masala dosa both in bangalore and mysore. so i know the ones that are served there and the ones served in mumbai or delhi restaurants.
the difference is of the batter. the mysore masala dosa served in mumbai is crisp and white like the regular masala dosa.
whereas the ones served in mysore are crisp from outside and have a soft porous bite as well as texture. they have a nice golden brown color too. this soft texture and golden brown color, is due to the addition of cooked rice or poha/flattened rice. few more popular recipes from the mysore cuisine like:
here i used sona masoori rice for making the batter. the batter fermented really well. you can use any regular rice for making the batter. i have also made this dosa with 1:1 proportion of idli rice (parboiled rice) and sona masoori rice. this ratio also worked very well.
mysore masala dosa recipe below:
mysore masala dosa recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR mysore masala dosa recipe
ingredients for the dosa batter:
- 2 cups regular rice
- ½ cup urad dal (skinned and split black gram)
- ½ cup cooked rice or poha (flattened rice)
- ¼ teaspoon methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- rock salt (sendha namak) or sea salt as required
- water as required for grinding the batter
ingredients for the potato palya/filling:
- 2 large potatoes - boiled
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- 1 inch ginger (adrak) - chopped
- 1 or 2 garlic (lahsun) - optional
- 12 to 15 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 green chili - chopped
- ½ or ⅔ teaspoon black mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ or ⅔ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ or ½ cup water
- 1 or 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
ingredients for the red chutney:
- 2 tablespoon roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram)
- 4 to 5 garlic (lahsun)
- 2 to 4 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - soaked in warm water for 30 to 40 minutes. adjust as per your taste preferences and depending on the type of chilies. for a hotter version add 3 to 4 dry red chilies.
- 1 teaspoon seedlees tamarind (imli)
- ¼ cup onion - roughly chopped
- salt as required
- some water to grind the chutney
HOW TO MAKE mysore masala dosa recipe
making dosa batter:
- pick and rinse the rice and urad dal in water for 3-4 times.
- soak the rice, urad dal and methi seeds in a large bowl in enough water for 4-5 hours.
- in a wet grinder, grind the rice, urad dal, methi seeds and cooked rice or poha with enough water.
- grind till you get a fluffy and smooth consistency of the batter.
- take the dosa batter in a large bowl and mix salt.
- cover the bowl loosely and let the batter ferment for 7-9 hours.
preparing the potato palya or filling for dosa:
- first boil the potatoes in a steamer or pressure cooker, till they are fully cooked.
- peel and either just crumble them with your hands or chop them.
- heat oil in a pan or kadai.
- first fry the mustard seeds till they splutter.
- now add the chopped onions and saute till they become soft.
- add the ginger, garlic, green chilies, curry leaves and saute for some 20-30 seconds.
- now add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and asafoetida.
- stir for 2-3 seconds and add the potatoes.
- stir and add water plus salt.
- cover and simmer the potatoes till the water dries up.
- lastly add the lemon juice and stir well.
- add coriander leaves and mix well with the potatoes.
- keep the potato palya aside.
making red chutney for dosa:
- take all the ingredients in a small blender or chutney grinder.
- add very little water and grind to a smooth paste.
- keep aside.
making mysore masala dosa:
- on a tava or a flat frying pan spread 1 or 2 tsp oil. if using non stick pan, then don’t spread oil. you won’t be able to spread the dosa batter then.
- take a medium sized ladle or a big spoon and with circular motions spread the dosa from the center towards the edges on the pan.
- sprinkle some drops of oil from the top.
- cover the dosa with a lid.
- let the base get browned and the top side get cooked completely.
- spread 1 or 2 tsp of the red chili chutney on top of the dosa.
- place 2-3 tbsp of the potato stir fry on top of the mysore masala dosa and spread lightly.
- fold and serve the mysore masala dosa hot with coconut chutney and sambar.
how to make mysore masala dosa recipe:
1: make the potato palya or stir fry and keep ready.
2: heat a frying pan or the tava. spread the dosa batter. if using non stick pan, then don’t spread oil.
3: sprinkle some oil on the sides of the dosa. cover the dosa with a lid and let it cook.
4: when the top side is cooked, spread some more oil if you prefer on the dosa. spread the red chutney on the dosa all around.
5: top the dosa with the potato filling and spread it lightly.
6: fold the mysore masala dosa.
7: serve mysore masala dosa hot with coconut chutney and veg sambar.