Pesarattu Dosa Recipe with step by step photos – Pesarattu Dosa or Moong Dal Dosa is a popular breakfast recipe of Andhra Pradesh. I make Pesarattu at times as these dosas are easy to make. Just soak the lentils and then grind them. No need of fermenting the batter. You can use the batter straightway after grinding.
Pesarattu are a healthy & nutritious Dosa variety. Vegan as well as Gluten free.
These dosas can be made with whole moong beans or spilt moong lentils which are also known as green gram in English. I usually make the Pesarattu dosa with both the versions of moong dal.
The dosa made with yellow moong lentils are more like moong chillas. Whereas the ones made with whole moong beans taste a bit different. But both are delicious. Pesarattu Dosa is served with Upma. The dosa can be served with coconut chutney. They also taste good with a simple coriander chutney.
There are many varieties of dosa made in india like:
INGREDIENTS FOR Pesarattu Recipe
For the Pesarattu batter
- 2 cups green moong beans
- 1 green chilly, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing), optional
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves optional
- salt as required
- 3 to 4 tbsp rice flour
Toppings and other ingredients for Pesarattu
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped, optional
- few chopped coriander leaves
- oil or ghee for frying the dosa, as required
Serving suggestions for Pesarattu
- upma, as required
- coconut chutney, as required
- coriander chutney, as required
HOW TO MAKE Pesarattu Recipe
Making Pesarattu Batter:
- Firstly, pick and rinse the moong beans.
- Then soak the moong beans overnight in enough water.
- Drain and add the moong beans along with ginger, green chilies, asafoetida, coriander leaves and salt in a grinder jar.
- Add some water and grind into a smooth batter.
- Remove the batter in a bowl or pan.
- Stir in the rice flour and mix well. The consistency should be similar to a dosa batter.
Making Pesarattu Recipe
- On a griddle or flat pan, spread a little oil/ghee.
- With a ladle, pour the dosa batter on the griddle and use the same spoon for spreading the moong dal dosa batter into a round shape.
- Pour some oil on the sides and in the center of the dosa.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped onion, green chilies and coriander leaves.
- Press these with the spatula so that they get stuck to the batter which is getting cooked.
- Flip and cook both sides a couple of times till crisp and browned.
- Serve the Moong Dal Dosa or Pesarattu hot with Upma and Coconut Chutney.
- This Pesarattu dosa can also be made with spilt green gram or sprouted moong.
- If using yellow moong, then you can soak the lentils for 2 to 3 hours.
- Instead of adding rice flour, you can also grind both soaked rice and green moong beans together.
- The moong dal dosa can be had plain too.
How to make Pesarattu Dosa or Moong Dal Dosa
1: Firstly, soak the moong dal overnight in a water. The soaked and drained moong beans on the next day.
2: Grind it into a smooth paste in the morning with the green chilly, ginger, coriander leaves, salt with some water. Add the rice flour and stir well.
3: On a griddle, smear a little oil/ghee. With a big spoon, pour the dosa batter on the griddle and use the same spoon for spreading the moong dal dosa batter into a round shape. Sprinkle some of the finely chopped onions, green chilies and coriander leaves.
4: Drizzle oil at the sides and in the center.
5: Flip the dosa a couple of times till both sides are well cooked and browned.
6: Make all moong dal dosas this way. Serve Moong Dal Dosa hot or warm with upma accompanied with coconut chutney. Or just plain with some coconut chutney or coriander chutney.