ganesh chaturthi sweet recipes
a happy ganesh chaturthi to all the readers. lord ganesha loves sweets. modaks and ladoos are the favorite sweets of lord ganesha and often served as naivedhyam or bhog to lord ganesha. most people make modaks on the first day of ganesh chaturthi festival in maharashtra.
this year ganesh chaturthi is starting on 2nd september 2019 and as usual will last for 10 days.
apart from sweets, other popular recipes which are made during ganesh chaturthi festival are:
- varan bhaat
- alu vadi or patra
- moong dal khichdi
- batata bhaji
- rishi panchami sabzi
- black pea (kala vatana) curry
- rice pooris or wheat pooris
i have already posted a list of 60 recipes which can made during ganesh chaturthi festival.
35 sweets recipes for ganesh chaturthi festival
1. ukadiche modak or steamed modak – ukadiche modak is one of the most popular modak recipe made during ganesh chaturthi festival in maharashtra. this is a maharastrian modak recipe made from rice flour. its also called as ukadiche modak where the modaks are steamed. a step by step post to make modaks.
2. fried modak – these fried modaks are made with whole wheat flour with a sweet coconut and jaggery filling. they can also be made with all purpose flour (maida). again a step by step post to make modaks.
3. kozhukattai recipe – kozhukattai or kolukattai is a festive south indian sweet of steamed dumplings made with rice flour dough and stuffed with a filling of coconut and jaggery. basically kozhukattai is the south indian variation of modak made in maharashtra.
4. chocolate modak – these chocolate modaks are prepared mainly from three ingredients chocolate, mawa/khoya (evaporated milk solids) and sugar. this modak recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make and is simple to make during ganesh chaturthi or any festive season. i have used chocolate chips but you could use grated chocolate of any good brand.
5. mawa modak – these tasty modaks are made with minimal ingredients which is mawa (khoya or evaporated milk solids), sugar and cardamom powder. you can make this sweet in less than 30 minutes. this is a quick modak recipe and comes handy if you don’t have much time. these mawa modaks can also be served as naivedyam to lord ganesha.
6. puran poli – puran poli is a popular maharashtrian recipe made during ganesh chaturthi or diwali or any other festive occasion. puran poli is a flat bread stuffed with a sweet lentil filling made from skinned spilt bengal gram/chana dal and jaggery…. in marathi language the sweet filling is called as puran and the outer covering is called as poli. step by step recipe. it is served with katachi amti. you can also check this holige or bobbatlu recipe.
7. coconut ladoo – these coconut ladoos are made with desiccated coconut. just a three ingredient recipe and one which does not take a lot of time to make. these are melt in the mouth ladoos. so do try this coconut ladoo recipe for ganesh chaturthi or for any festival. other delicious variations you can make are:
9. coconut barfi recipe – an easy step by step recipe of coconut barfi made with condensed milk. these coconut barfis have a melt in the mouth soft texture. you can also make coconut ladoos with the same mixture. another delicious variation you can make is coconut barfi with khoya.
10. patholi recipe – patholi are steamed rice rolls which are stuffed with fresh coconut and jaggery mixture. patholi are made during the gauri – ganesha festival. what makes the patholi special is the steaming technique. these rolls are steamed in fresh turmeric leaves which make them aromatic. step by step recipe.
11. besan ladoo – these are one of the most popular ladoos made in india. basically these are sweetened roasted chickpea flour balls spiced with cardamom and nutmeg. besan ladoos are delicious and made during all festive occasions in india. for more delicious ladoo recipes you can check this collection of 23 ladoo recipes.
12. banana sheera or banana halwa – banana sheera or banana semolina pudding is often made during ganesh puja or satyanarayan puja or devi puja or for any auspicious occasion. banana sheera is also made to be served as a prasad. prasad means a gift from the divine. it also means food that is first offered to the deity and then served to the devotees. other popular halwa recipes you can check are:
13. gajar halwa – a classic indian dessert that goes for any celebrative occasion or season. its an evergreen indian dessert and one of the most popular halwa made in india. few variations of making carrot halwa are:
14. sweet kozhukattai recipe – south indian recipe variation of modaks made with a stuffing of chana dal, coconut and jaggery.
15. sooji halwa – classic indian semolina pudding made with ghee and dry fruits. step by step recipe. other variations of sooji halwa are:
17. aval payasam recipe – delicious poha payasam made with flattened rice, ghee and milk. in the recipe i have used thick poha, but you can also use thin poha. even red poha can be used. this poha payasam gets done in 20 to 25 minutes. for more delicious kheer recipes you can check this collection of 26 kheer recipes.
18. boondi ladoo – a popular indian sweet made from gram flour batter and sugar syrup. there are two types of boondi ladoos. one is a soft textured one and the other is a crisp hard one. both these ladoos have some variations in the method and the consistency of sugar syrup, thus yielding different textures. this ladoo recipe give a soft textured boondi ladoos.
19. basundi recipe – basundi is sweet thickened milk, flavored with cardamom and nutmeg, with the addition of dry fruits. this milk based dessert is popular in the western part of india, specially in the states maharashtra and gujarat.
20. rava ladoo – quick and easy ladoo recipe made with semolina, khoya (evaporated milk solids) and desiccated coconut. gets done in 20 minutes. for more delicious rava recipes, you can check this collection of 24 rava recipes.
21. shrikhand recipe – a traditional indian sweet made with hung curd and flavored with saffron and cardamom. its very easy to make shrikhand provided you follow the steps of preparing hung curd properly.
22. rava modak or semolina modak – this rava modak recipe is an easy method of making modak which takes less time, but effort is there. less time, since no steaming or frying is needed. fine sooji or rava is used to make the outer cover of the modak. the sweet filling is made of coconut and jaggery. taste wise it is similar to the modak made from rice flour. step by step post plus video recipe.
23. sabudana kheer – sweet pudding made with tapioca pearls or sabudana and milk. we generally make sabudana kheer during the fasting or vrat days. if you plan to keep fast during ganesh chaturthi festival then you can check these fasting recipes like:
- makhana kheer
- kuttu ki khichdi
- samvat rice khichdi
- kaddu ki sabzi
- vrat wale aloo
- rajgira ki kheer
- singhare ki poori
24. atta ladoo recipe – easy and quick to prepare delicious ladoos made with whole wheat flour, sugar and ghee. other popular desserts made with whole wheat flour are:
25. poornam boorelu recipe – one of the most popular sweet snack from andhra cuisine is poornam boorelu. these are deep fried snacks made with a stuffing of chana dal+jaggery and coated with rice+urad dal batter (similar to dosa batter).
26. maladu or maa ladoo – quick south indian ladoo made from roasted gram or roasted chana dal. it takes less than 15 minutes to makes these ladoos. they are not only delicious but very nutritious and healthy also.
27. mango modak – these modaks are prepared with fresh mango pulp, khoya (evaporated milk solids), sugar and flavored with cardamom powder. these modaks are delicious, rich, melt in the mouth and with a lovely taste of mangoes. to make the modaks, i have used fresh mango pulp. you can even use canned mango pulp. i chose alphonso mango since they are sweet but you can use any good quality of sweet and pulpy mangoes.
28. til ladoo recipe – simple recipe of ladoos prepared with sesame seeds, jaggery, peanuts and desiccated coconut. these sesame seeds laddus make for a good warming sweet snack for the winters. make them, store them and have them whenever you want. another variation you can make is this til gud ladoo recipe.
29. nevris recipe – nevris are deep fried pastries made with whole wheat flour and stuffed with grated coconut, jaggery and dry fruits. nevri is the goan version of the maharashtrian karanji and the north indian gujiya.
30. semiya payasam recipe – one of the easiest sweets that can be made for any festive occasion is semiya payasam. semiya are vermicelli and payasam akins to pudding. making seviyan payasam does not take much time and the entire dish can be brought together in a matter of about 20 to 25 minutes.
31. dry fruits modak – modaks made from rice flour and stuffed with mixture of mawa, poppy seeds, coconut and dry fruits.
33. rice payasam – this payasam is made with coconut milk and jaggery. this kheer is a nice fusion between the kerala rice payasam and the konkani rice payasam. another south indian variation is this paal payasam recipe.
34. sabudana ladoo – ladoos made from tapioca pearls. these sabudana ladoos can be made for any festival as well as for fasting. the ladoos tasted awesome and you will like them even more, if you are fond of having sabudana in sweets. other popular sabudana recipes made for fasting are:
35. 7 cup barfi recipe – easy and delicious south indian sweet that can be made for any festive or religious occasion. 7 cup barfi includes 7 cups or 7 measures of ingredients. it is also called as 7 cup cake. for more delicious barfi recipes you can check this collection of 12 barfi recipes.