Karanji recipe With step by step photos – Karanji is a Maharashtrian sweet savory snack often made for festive occasions like Diwali and Ganesh Chaturthi. Karanji is also one of the sweet snack that is a part of Diwali faral.
Karanji and gujiya are two Indian sweets which have a similar look and appearance. Basically both karanji and gujiya are fried pastries with a sweet stuffing. The Goan version of karanji is called as nevris.
Karanji as well as gujiya are made in different parts of India with different stuffings. Gujiya has a stuffing of mawa (khoya or evaporated milk) with dry fruits. In karanji, the stuffing is usually made of desiccated coconut, poppy seeds and dry fruits.
Here I am sharing My mom’s recipe of making karanji at home. Few months back when she visited me then we made the karanji together. I took the role of a photographer and helper, while she became the master chef. She has been making karanji since ages. Every year in our home during festivals, lots of snacks and sweets used to be made by her.
A well made karanji has an outer crisp & flaky cover. Its melt in the mouth with a sweet coconut based stuffing inside.
The outer crisp cover of karanji gives you a taste of having a savory snack whereas the inner sweet filling makes it a sweet dish to relish. Thus this very popular dish has two in one flavors of a sweet savory snack.
You can make karanji in bulk and store them in airtight container and have them for next few weeks. We usually have them as a sweet snack with the evening tea.
How to make karanji
Preparing the stuffing for karanji
1. heat ghee in a small frying pan. Add the desiccated coconut.
2. Saute stirring often till the coconut turns golden. remove the coconut and keep aside.
3. in the same pan, add the sesame seeds and roast till they pop and change color. Keep aside. Roast on a low flame.
4. in a dry grinder or coffee grinder, grind the almonds, cashews, raisins to a semi fine powder. You can also chop the dry fruits.
5. add this ground dry fruits powder to the sesame seeds and coconut mixture.
6. add powdered sugar, nutmeg powder and cardamom powder. mix everything well and keep the stuffing aside.
For the outer pastry of karanji
7. heat the ghee first. Just lightly heat it.
8. In a bowl or pan, take the flour. Make a well in the center and add the hot melted ghee and salt in it.
9. just lightly mix everything.
10. add milk in parts and begin to knead the dough.
11. Continue to knead the dough.
12. knead the dough till smooth.
13. cover the dough with a moist kitchen towel and keep aside for 15 to 20 mins.
Assembling and making karanji
14. divide the dough into two parts. roll each part into a log and begin to cut the log in equal slices.
15. Take each slice and roll it between your palms and flatten it.
16. With a rolling pin on a dusted board, roll the dough round in 4 to 5 inches diameter circle. while rolling, cover the other slices with a moist kitchen towel.
17. place 1 tbsp or 2 to 3 tsp of the coconut stuffing in the center or on one side of the circle, keeping the edges empty. Don’t add too much of stuffing as then its difficult to shape them and the karanji may break in the oil.
18. with your fingertips, apply water all over the circumference edge.
19. Carefully, bring together both the edges and join.
20. gently press the edges.
21. now with your fingertips, start pinching & pleating the pressed edges.
22. Keep on pleating till you come to the end. Seal of the end with a pleat. If you are unable to pleat, then press the edges with a fork.
22. gently place the karanji in a moderately hot oil for deep frying. Just add 1 or 2 karanji, depending on the size of your kadai or pan. Too many will difficult to fry.
23. fry till crisp and golden. remove and drain karanji on paper towels to remove excess oil. The karanji will puff while frying.
24. once cooled, store karanji in an air-tight container.
25. Serve karanji warm or at room temperature. You can have them for next few weeks with tea or as a snack.
More Diwali sweets
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
Karanji Recipe (Authentic)
for karanji stuffing
- ½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 8 to 9 almonds
- 9 to 10 cashews
- 9 to 10 golden raisins
- 4 green cardamoms powdered or ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar or as required
- a pinch of nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- ½ tablespoon ghee
for outer cover of karanji
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon milk or as required
making karanji stuffing
- Heat ghee in a small frying pan.
- Add the desiccated coconut and saute stirring often till the coconut turns golden.
- Remove the coconut and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the sesame seeds and roast till they pop and change color. Keep aside.
- In a dry grinder or coffee grinder, grind the almonds, cashews, raisins to a semi fine powder.
- You can also chop these dry fruits. If you want, you can also roast the dry fruits and then chop or powder them.
- Add this dry fruits powder to the sesame seeds and coconut mixture.
- Add powdered sugar, nutmeg powder and cardamom powder.
- Mix everything well and keep the stuffing aside.
making outer cover of karanji
- Heat the ghee first. Just lightly heat it.
- In a bowl or pan, take the flour. Add the hot melted ghee and salt. Just lightly mix everything.
- Add milk in parts and knead the dough till smooth.
- Cover the dough with a moist kitchen towel and keep aside for 15 to 20 mins.
rolling and stuffing karanji
- Divide the dough into two parts. Roll each part into a log. Cut the log in equal slices.
- Take each slice and roll it between your palms.
- With a rolling pin on a dusted board, roll the dough round in 4 to 5 inches diameter circle.
- Place a tbsp or 2 to 3 tsp of the stuffing in the center or on one side of the circle, keeping the edges empty.
- Make sure you don't over stuff as then it becomes difficult to shape the karanjis. They may also break while frying.
- With your fingertips, apply water all over the circumference edge.
- Gently bring together both the edges and join. Gently press the edges.
- Now with your fingertips, start pinching the pressed edges.
- Make all karanjis this way and then fry them.
- Keep them covered with a moist kitchen towel, so that the dough does not dry out.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a pan or kadai. Gently place the prepared karanji in hot oil.
- Just add a few karanji while frying and don't crowd them.
- Fry till crisp and golden. remove and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Once cooled, store them in air-tight container. Serve karanji warm or at room temperature.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later