vrat wale aloo recipe with step by step photos – vrat ke aloo recipe are made during fasting/vrat or during navratri. sans onion-garlic, the aloo or potato sabzi is simple and delicious.
and you don’t need to make this potato curry recipe on any fasting occasion. you can make this sabzi and serve with pooris or chappatis any time. there are many variations of vrat ke aloo.
sharing the way i make this vrat wale aloo sabzi at home. the boiled potatoes are crumbled and added to sauted tomatoes-spice mixture. simmered for some minutes and then served hot with a garnish of coriander leaves. this aloo recipe is light and not heavily spiced. just to add a bit of spice and heat, green chilies are used, which you can easily skip.
usually the fasting recipes are easier to make and does not demand much preparation. you can make many fasting or vrat recipes using aloo like:
- dahi aloo
- vrat ki aloo chaat
- falahari aloo vada recipe
- aloo jeera recipe for vrat
- aloo tamatar sabzi recipe
these vrat wale aloo goes well with kuttu ki poori or kuttu roti or rajgire ki poori or rajgira paratha. i served them with singhare ke atta ki poori (pooris made from water chestnut flour) and kala chana sundal (black chickpea sundal).
vrat wale aloo recipe card below:
vrat ke aloo
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 3 medium potatoes (aloo)
- 3 medium tomatoes OR about 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds) or cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1.5 to 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- rock salt or sendha namak as required
how to make vrat ke aloo
- rinse the potatoes, add the potatoes with 3 cups water in the pressure cooker.
- sprinkle teaspoon of sendha namak.
- boil the 3 potatoes in the pressure cooker for 4-5 whistles, till the potatoes cook and soften.
- peel and keep them aside.
making vrat wale aloo recipe:
- heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- crackle the 1/2 teaspoon of carom seeds first.
- now add the 1-2 chopped green chilies .
- saute for half a minute.
- add a cup of chopped tomatoes and saute.
- stir and saute till the oil starts to leave the sides of the mixture.
- the tomatoes would have cooked by now and become soft.
- continue to stir in between when cooking the tomatoes a couple of times.
directly crumble the 3 boiled potatoes in the tomato gravy. stir and mix well.
add 2 cups of water, stir well. sprinkle sendha namak as required.
- simmer till the gravy thickens a bit.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve vrat wale aloo hot. the gravy will thicken as it cools down.
- these vrat wale aloo goes well with puri or rotis made from kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour) or singhare ka atta (water chestnut flour).
how to make vrat wale aloo recipe:
1. first rinse the potatoes very well in water. then add the potatoes with 3 cups water in the pressure cooker.
4. when they become warm, then peel the potatoes and keep aside.
18. simmer on a low flame till the gravy thickens a bit. do stir occasionally. when the vrat wale aloo is done then you will see some oil specks on the top. you can thicken the gravy less or more as per your requirements.