mawa modak recipe with step by step photos – these tasty modaks are made with minimal ingredients which is mawa/khoya (evaporated milk solids), sugar and cardamom powder. also you can make this sweet in less than 30 mins. since its ganesh chaturthi today thought of sharing mawa modak recipe.
during ganesh chaturthi mainly steamed modaks and fried modaks are made. modaks and ladoos are favorite sweets of lord ganesha. there are other modak varieties which are also made like chocolate modak, rava modak, dry fruits modak, mango modak and sweet kozhukattai. ganesha festival is celebrated with a lot of pomp & grandeur in india. one gets to see the joyous spirit and energy of people celebrating ganesha festival. its a great experience to see people singing the ganpati aarti during the day 🙂
this is a quick modak recipe and comes handy if you don’t have much time. these mawa modaks can also be served as naivedya to lord ganesha. your family will love these mawa modaks as they are rich and delicious.
i have used modak moulds but you could even shape them with you hands. modak moulds are now easily available online.
there are many variations to make mawa modak recipe. some add dry fruits, milk powder but i have not used dry fruits or milk powder. the best part is you can make mawa modak ahead of time and refrigerate. it will last for 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
mawa modak recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 250 grams mawa or 1.5 cups grated mawa (khoya or evaporated milk solids)
- ½ cup sugar or add as per taste
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee/oil for greasing the modak moulds
how to make mawa modak recipe
- grease the modak moulds with a bit of butter or ghee or oil. place aside.
- crumble or grate mawa or khoya.
- heat a pan. keep the flame to a low and add 1.5 cups grated mawa.
- keep stirring on low flame for a minute. the mawa will start melting.
- when the mawa begin to melt, add 1/2 cup sugar in the mawa mixture and stir for a minute.
- soon the mawa mixture will start releasing fat.
- once the mixture starts bubbling, then sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom powder.
- the mixture will start thickening. continuously keep stirring.
- keep stirring on low flame until the mixture starts leaving the edges of the pan.
- do not overcook as then the modaks will turn out dense.
- immediately transfer the mixture in another bowl/dish/thali.
- allow the mixture to cool.
- knead the dough gently while its still warm.
- make small balls from them while they are still warm.
- place a small mawa ball in the modak mould. just press the mawa ball so that it takes the shape of the mould.
- gently unmould and repeat the same with the rest of mixture. i got about 9 modaks from the modak mixture.
- place the modaks over a greased plate/thali.
- offer mawa modaks to lord ganesha. these modaks can also be chilled and then served later.
how to make quick mawa modak recipe
1. first keep all the ingredients ready for the modak. crumble or grate 250 grams mawa or khoya. also keep ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder and ½ cup sugar ready.
4. keep stirring on low flame for a minute. the mawa would start melting.
11. when the mixture begins to leave the side of the pan, then switch off the flame. immediately transfer the mixture in another bowl/dish/thali. do not overcook the mawa mixture, as then the modaks will turn out dense.
16. press the mawa ball with your fingers so that it gets the shape of the mould.
18. place the modaks over a greased plate/thali.