coconut ladoo recipe with step by step photos – quick, easy and delicious coconut ladoo made with fresh coconut, ghee, sugar and khoya.
these coconut ladoos just melt in your mouth. since they are so good, they can be quite addictive. at home we love these ladoos and they just disappear as soon as i make them. coconut based sweets are liked by many people. few more coconut based sweets on blog are:
- narkel naru
- coconut barfi
- coconut ladoo recipe
- 7 cup barfi
- coconut barfi with khoya
- instant coconut ladoo
you can use this same ladoo recipe to make modaks. for modaks, just fill the modak mould with the ladoo mixture. you will get neatly shaped coconut modaks.
in this recipe, you can also add dry fruits, but its optional. if you are adding nuts then use finely chopped nuts or you could also garnish the ladoos with sliced almonds or pistachios.
you can also make these coconut ladoos as naivedyam or also make them easily during festivals. as i have mentioned before, the recipe uses khoya. khoya or mawa is evaporated milk solids. if you cannot get khoya, then you can make at home too. you can check this post on how to make khoya.
the recipe also makes for a quick dessert for family. you could easily double or triple up the recipe. just that more time and work will be required to grate the fresh coconut for more time.
coconut ladoo with khoya
INGREDIENTS FOR coconut ladoo with khoya
- 1 cup khoya, crumbled or grated (mawa or dried evaporated milk solids)
- 1.5 cups fresh grated coconut
- ¼ cup sugar or as required
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
HOW TO MAKE coconut ladoo with khoya
- heat a thick bottomed pan first and keep the flame to a low.
- then add 1.5 cup of fresh grated coconut in the pan.
- on a low flame roast coconut for 2 to 3 mins. no need to brown the coconut, just a light roasting to get rid of some moisture.
- remove the coconut and place aside.
making coconut ladoo with khoya
- in the same pan add a tablespoon of ghee.
- then add 1 cup of crumbled or grated mawa (khoya) and stir well.
- saute the mawa on low flame for 2 to 3 mins.
- when the mawa begins to melt, then add 1/4 cup sugar and mix well.
- keep stirring the mixture and continue to saute for 1 to 2 minutes on a low flame.
- now add the lightly roasted coconut. mix and stir well.
- add 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom powder and mix well.
- saute for a minute more on low heat. then switch off the flame.
- transfer the ladoo mixture to another bowl or plate.
- let the coconut ladoo mixture cool down a bit and while the mixture is still hot or warm, start shaping the mixture into coconut ladoos.
- if you are unable to handle the heat, then wait till the mixture cools down more.
- allow the coconut ladoos to come to room temperature and store in an air-tight container and refrigerate.
- you can serve the coconut ladoos at room temperature.
how to make coconut ladoo with khoya
1. heat a thick bottomed pan and keep the flame to a low. then add 1.5 cups fresh grated coconut.
2. roast coconut on a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes. keep on stirring often while roasting coconut. no need to brown the coconut. we just need to get rid of some moisture from the coconut.
3. then remove the roasted coconut in a bowl or plate and keep aside.
4. in the same pan add a tablespoon of ghee.
5. then add 1 cup of crumbled or grated mawa or khoya.
6. begin to stir.
7. stir and saute the mawa on a low flame for 2 to 3 mins.
8. when the mawa begins to melt, add ¼ cup sugar.
9. begin to mix the sugar with the mawa and continue to keep stirring the mixture.
11. add the lightly roasted coconut.
12. mix and stir well.
13. then add ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder.
14. mix again very well.
15. saute for a minute more on a low flame. then switch off the flame.
16. transfer the coconut ladoo mixture to another bowl or plate.
17. let the mixture cool down a bit. while its still slightly hot or warm, prepare coconut ladoo from mixture. if you are unable to handle the heat, then let the mixture cool down more and then prepare ladoos.
allow the ladoos to come to room temperature and then serve. if offering to lord ganesha, then after preparing them, you can offer it to lord ganesha. store the coconut ladoos in an air-tight jar or container and then refrigerate. in the refrigerator, these ladoos will last for 3 to 4 days.