vegan rice payasam recipe made with coconut milk and jaggery. i wanted to post a sweet recipe for the dussehra festival. so posting this rice payasam or rice pudding recipe.
when i had made the patholi recipe with turmeric leaves, i still had lots of turmeric leaves left with me.
apart from adding them in pulaos, pakoras and sabzis, I have also added these fragrant leaves in this vegan rice pudding.
the idea came about when i asked in a really good facebook food group which i follow, as how i can use turmeric leaves.
I got a lot of replies and one reply was from asha satish philar who said to make the traditonal konkani kheer called as dhanvin keeri/white kheer. she was even kind enough to give the page number of her cook book where the recipe is mentioned. i already had her cook book, so it was easy for me.
now if you don’t know asha ji, you should know her. she is the author of the well known cook book “konkani saraswat cookbook”.
the cook book is excellent if you want to explore the myriad variety of recipes in saraswat cooking. they are all authentic and truly saraswat style. now living in goa, i have had some saraswat food in restaurants here and they were so good.
i have loosely adapted the recipe from her book. i ran out of sugar and hence added palm jaggery. now the kheer was a wonderful fusion between the kerala rice payasam and the konkani rice payasam.
the whole rice pudding is made in coconut milk. if you do not have turmeric leaves, then just don’t add it. simple as that. the same rule applies for palm jaggery. just add sugar or jaggery.
few more tasty recipes!
vegan rice payasam
INGREDIENTS FOR vegan rice payasam
- 1 cup rice
- 2 to 3 turmeric leaves
- 3 cups thin coconut milk
- 2 cups thick coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1.5 to 2 cups powdered palm jaggery
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 10-12 cashews (kaju)
HOW TO MAKE vegan rice payasam
- pick and rinse the rice well. add in a pressure cooker or a pot with 3 cups thin coconut milk.
- now make a knot of the turmeric leaves and add these to the rice-coconut milk mixture.
- cook or pressure cook the rice till soft and done.
- now add the powdered or crumbled palm jaggery to the cooked rice.
- mix well.
- add in the thick coconut milk. simmer for 2-3 minutes on a low flame
- in another pan heat oil and fry the cashews till golden brown.
- add the cardamom powder and grated nutmeg to the oil in which the cashews are getting fried..
- stir and pour the entire content in to the kheer.
- mix well and serve rice payasam hot or cold.
tips for making vegan rice pudding1. i made my own coconut milk. just ground 1.5 cup grated coconut with 1.5 cup water. sieve through the strainer. this is your thick coconut milk. now add the coconut back to the blender with 1 cup water. blend again. strain, this is thin coconut milk. repeat this process one more time.
2. substitute sugar if not adding jaggery.
3. adding jaggery thickens the payasam, so don't overcook. just simmer on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
4. if you add sugar, than you can cook for some more minutes.
5. the rice pudding becomes thick on cooling. so if you want a little liquid and flowing pudding then you can add some more coconut milk or water.
6. also the sweetness in the rice pudding can be adjusted as per your taste.
7. after chilling the pudding in the fridge, the coconut oil solidifies. so if you want you can warm the pudding before serving.
8. if you do not have turmeric leaves, then just don’t add it.