easy and satvik moong dal khichdi – this is a simple, very easy and satvik khichdi recipe for ganesh chaturthi festival. this khichdi is prepared as a naivedyam for lord ganesha and is made using minimal ingredients and spices. this is a no onion no garlic khichdi recipe.
this recipe has been shared by a maharashtrian friend to me and she makes this recipe on the 1st day of ganesh chaturthi festival. in their home, they offer this khichdi as a naivedyam or bhog to lord ganesh along with modak….. modak and ladoos being the most favorite food of lord ganesha.
since this is a very basic khichdi recipe with just five ingredients, she has suggested that it is best to make it with ghee… as there are no other flavorings used except for cumin seeds and turmeric. if you are a vegan then substitute the ghee with oil.
as far as taste is concerned, you can make it on any day as it tastes too good. goes extremely well with a bowl of yogurt.
few more tasty recipes
- bengali khichdi (bhaja muger khichuri) which is made for durga puja celebrations.
- khichdi recipe in which onions are added.
- masala khichdi made with mix vegetables
you can serve this satvik khichdi recipe with plain curd or raita like pomegranate raita or vegetable raita or even a side salad or pickle.
- ½ cup broken basmati rice or whole rice
- ½ cup moong dal (split and husked green gram)
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoons ghee or oil, real flavor comes with the ghee as this khichdi has minimal ingredients
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- rock salt or regular salt as required
- rinse both the rice and dal together for a couple of times in water.
- heat the ghee or oil in a pressure cooker.
- crackle the cumin first. add the turmeric powder and stir.
- add the rice and moong dal. saute for a minute.
- add 4 to 4.5 cups water. season with salt.
- stir and then pressure cook for 5-6 whistles till both the rice and moong dal have reached a mashable consistency like a porridge.
- when the pressure settles down, open the lid and check the khichdi.
- if its too thick, then add some water and stir well.
- keep on sim or low flame to simmer till you get the right consistency.
- the consistency can be adjusted as per your choice by adding less or more water. some people prefer thick and some thin consistency.
- serve the satvik khichdi with a plain bowl of yogurt or raita.
- when serving you can add a 1 or 2 tsp of ghee in the serving bowls or plates.
- this recipe of satvik khichdi has been made in the pressure cooker. if making in a pot, then soak the mung dal and rice for 45 mins to 1 hour. proceed with the tempering of cumin seeds in the pot. then add dal and rice. add about 5 to 6 cups water. cover and cook till the rice and mung dal are cooked till really soft and of a porridge consistency.
- add more water if required if the khichdi becomes lumpy or too thick. keep on stirring at regular intervals during the entire cooking process.