besan ladoo recipe with step by step photos – one of the popular ladoos often made during festive occasions. besan ladoo is easy and healthy sweet which is made all over india.
i have shared 26 ladoo recipes on the blog. this besan ladoo is one of the most popular ladoo recipe on blog along with coconut ladoo, boondi ladoo and rava ladoo. apart from this ladoo, besan is used to make variety of sweets recipes like:
i know, two ways of making besan ladoos:
- in the first method, the besan or gram flour is roasted in ghee till it start giving a nutty fragrance. this method has a slight different texture. it is easy but with the ghee added first there is too much hand work required while stirring the ladoo mixture. i have already posted this method of making besan ladoo recipe.
- another very common method used in north india is to dry roast the besan or gram flour first and then add the ghee after some time and roast it further till it start giving nutty fragrance. this method i have learned from my mil who is making besan ladoo since ages. as per my experience, this is more fool proof method and the taste and texture of the besan ladoos also comes better than the first method.
while making besan ladoos, its important to roast the gram flour well, till it starts releasing the ghee and also will starts giving nutty fragrance. if you add sugar into the gram flour before it is roasted well, then the uncooked gram flour will have a raw taste in the ladoo and you won’t get the perfect sweet taste in the ladoos.
also roast the gram flour on low flame and keep on stirring continuously. secondly, once you add the sugar then stir continuously so that no lumps are formed.
overall, besan ladoos are easy to make and they are very nutritious and healthy. to make them more healthy, you can add dry fruits like almonds, raisins, cashews or pistachois. they are also good during the winters. and also loved by most kids. you can make them in bulk and store in air tight container.
besan ladoo recipe below:
besan ladoo recipe - makes 15 medium ladoos
besan ladoo recipe - a popular ladoo made from gram flour, powdered sugar and ghee.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups besan (gram flour)
- ½ to ⅔ cup ghee - add more ghee, if required
- 1 cup powdered sugar or boora
- 4 green cardamoms - powdered in a mortar-pestle (choti elaichi or hari elaichi)
- 1 or 2 tablespoon golden raisins (kishmish)
how to make recipe?
- dry roast the besan in a kadai or pan on slow flame for about 11-12 mins.
- keep on stirring continuously right from the beginning. so that the besan is not burned and so that there is even browning.
- while roasting the besan, melt the ghee and keep aside.
- after 11-12 minutes of total roasting time, add the melted ghee and continue roasting the besan for some more 5-6 minutes stirring continuously.
- the besan would start to give a nice nutty fragrance and will start releasing ghee.
- once you get a strong nutty fragrance then switch off the fire.
- remove the pan from the stove and keep down.
- add powdered sugar or boora. for best taste use the boora.
- stir well so that no lumps are formed.
- add the powdered cardamom and raisins. you can also add chopped dry fruits at this stage. stir well.
- once you have mixed the besan ladoo mixture well then let it cool down to room temperature.
- make small or medium sized besan ladoos and store them in air tight container.
- if you are unable to form besan ladoos even when the mixture has cooled completely, then keep the mixture in the fridge for 20-30 mins. the ghee will solidify a bit and you will be easily able to form the besan ladoos.
lets start step by step besan ladoo recipe:
1. dry roast the besan or chickpea flour in a kadai or a pan in a low flame. stirring often so that besan gets browned evenly and does not burn.
2. the besan still being roasted and after 11-12 mins, the color has changed. when you are roasting the besan, melt the ghee and keep aside.
3. then add the melted ghee and stir well.
4. mix well and and continue to stir for about 5-6 minutes. it will start releasing ghee and will give a nice fragrant aroma. if you add the sugar before the besan is cooked fully then your besan ladoo will have taste of uncooked besan and won’t be tasty. so wait for these two signs (nutty fragrance and besan will release ghee) before adding sugar in next step.
5. remove the kadai or pan from the stove and keep down. add the powdered sugar or boora and stir well so that no lumps are formed. you will get the best taste in besan ladoo with boora which is easily available in indian markets.
6. add the raisins and stir well.
7. let the besan mixture become warm or cool down and then shape into medium sized besan ladoos.
8. store besan ladoo in air tight container and serve when required. for more sweets recipes you can check this collection of 121 diwali sweets recipes.