Coconut burfi recipe with step by step photos. This is an easy and tasty recipe of coconut barfi made with condensed milk and desiccated coconut. The coconut burfi had a melt in the mouth soft texture. You can also make coconut ladoos with the same mixture.
Usually at home, for Raksha Bandhan we always make Rice kheer or Vermicelli kheer. this time for a change I made the coconut burfi today and also clicked the pics. These were easy to prepare. I did not have time to grate coconuts, so I have used desiccated coconut (dry coconut flakes).
Generally Freshly grated coconut makes better coconut burfi. so to still get better tasting barfi, I soaked the desiccated coconut in warm milk for about an hour. The coconut absorbs the milk and the texture does to some extent becomes like fresh coconut. When I prepare chutneys or gravies with desiccated coconut, I grind them in warm water or soak them in warm water for some minutes. I did not want to soak the coconut in water, hence I soaked them in milk.
If using fresh grated coconut, then no need to soak them in milk.
I did not add any dry fruits as we prefer just the coconut in the barfi. But you can add your choice of dry fruits or simply garnish the coconut barfi with dry fruits.
Wishing all who celebrate a happy Raksha Bandhan festival.
How to make coconut burfi
1. Take ¾ cup warm milk in a bowl. Mix 1 heaped cup unsweetened desiccated coconut with the warm milk. Stir well and keep covered for an hour. If using fresh coconut, then no need to soak.
2. Heat 2 to 3 tsp ghee in a pan.
3. Add the milk soaked coconut and stir well. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
4. Now pour ¾ cup condensed milk.
5. stir and mix well.
6. Add 1 tbsp sugar and stir. Optional step. You can skip the sugar completely.
7. Then add cardamom powder (3 to 4 cardamoms, crushed to powder in a mortar-pestle).
8. Stir and continue to cook the coconut burfi mixture.
9. The mixture would reduce and begun to loose its moisture. Continue to stir, so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
10. continue to cook and stir till you see ghee releasing from the sides. Takes about 22 to 25 mins on a low flame.
Setting coconut burfi
11. Now add the coconut burfi mixture in a greased thali or tray. Here I used a baking pan and managed to get more than half of the pan covered with the coconut burfi. Spread it evenly with a spatula keeping ½ to 1 inch of height.
12. You can sprinkle a pinch of crushed or powdered saffron on top of the burfi. You can also top the coconut barfi with 8-10 halved or chopped cashews or raisins.
13. Once the coconut burfi has cooled completely, then slice it into squares or diamond shapes.
14. Serve coconut burfi. they can also be refrigerated and they stay good for 1 to 2 days.
More tasty recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 1 cup heaped unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk - i used nestle milkmaid
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms - crushed to powder in a mortar-pestle
- ½ teaspoon rose water (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 pinch of saffron - crushed or 2 to 3 pinch of saffron powder (optional)
- 8 to 10 cashews - halved or chopped (optional)
- Warm the milk first in the microwave or stove top.
- In a bowl, take the desiccated coconut and mix warm milk with it.
- Stir well. Cover and keep aside for 1 hour. If using fresh coconut, then no need to soak in warm milk.
making coconut burfi
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add the milk soaked coconut. Saute on a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add the condensed milk and stir. Cook on a low flame stirring often.
- Add sugar if you want. Then add cardamom powder.
- Continue to cook and stir. The coconut burfi mixture will thicken slowly.
- Keep on stirring so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Ghee should start releasing from the sides of the mixture. You will see tiny drops of ghee. Takes about 22 to 25 mins on a low flame.
- Add rose water if using. Stir.
setting coconut burfi
- Then pour the burfi mixture in a greased tray or thali. Let it cool completely.
- Sprinkle saffron powder or press some cashews on the top.
- Slice the burfi and then serve.
- Coconut burfi can also be refrigerated. It stay good for 1 to 2 days in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later