Collection of 34 tomato recipes – tomato is one ingredient that I use a lot in my cooking. There are some recipes that I also make with tomatoes and have shared them here in this collection.
Whenever buying tomatoes, use organic ones. Or grow them in your balcony, terrace or garden. I always buy organic tomatoes, onions and potatoes.
There are some ingredients that come from abroad and have become part of Indian cuisine. Tomatoes, potatoes and chilies are such ingredients that are used often in Indian homes.
I have made this collection, so that it is easier for you to find all such tomato recipes in one place. You can also check these popular recipes collections:
- Potato recipes
- Matar recipes (green peas recipes)
- Methi recipes (fenugreek leaves recipes)
- Palak recipes (spinach recipes)
Collection of 38 Tomato Recipes
1. Tomato chutney – A tangy and tasty South Indian chutney variety made with tomatoes, herbs and spices. There are many variations of making tomato chutney aka thakkali chutney. I am sharing 2 such tasty variations in this post.
2. Tomato rasam – easy and simple tomato rasam recipe. There is no dal/lentils used in this recipe. Also there is no tamarind added in the recipe and also you don’t need any rasam powder to make this rasam.
3. Tomato soup – This easy Tomato Soup recipe makes a creamy, rich tomato soup that’s perfect for enjoying as a hearty lunch or light dinner. Zesty fresh tomatoes and real cream create a truly comforting, velvety smooth tomato soup from scratch – in less than 30 minutes.
4. Tomato rice – spicy South Indian tomato rice. you can have the tomato rice plain with some papads or chips or serve it with raita. Also goes well in the tiffin box.
5. Pizza sauce recipe – Using fresh ingredients and some basic steps, you will be able to make an awesome homemade pizza sauce for your next pizza night.
6. Tomato bath recipe – It is a savory, tangy and flavorful rice-based dish made with a ground paste of tomatoes, coconut, spices and herbs. The addition of this ground masala paste takes this dish to another level.
7. Tomato sauce – homemade ketchup made with fresh ripe tomatoes, raisins and dry red chilies from scratch. the homemade ketchup sauce is full of tomato goodness. No pastiness, no sugary taste. There is tang of the tomatoes and the texture is rich with tomatoes.
8. Tomato dal or tomato pappu – Andhra style tomato dal where pigeon pea lentils are cooked with tomatoes and other spices-herbs. Slightly tangy and a flavorful dal. best had with steamed rice.
9. Tomato pulao – tangy rice pulao made with tomatoes and mixed veggies. you can also make this pulao minus the mixed veggies. This is a slightly spicy version. Do reduce the green chilies and red chili powder for a lightly spiced taste.
11. Tomato curry – spiced and mildly tangy tomato curry made with ground tomatoes, coconut and spices. The curry has coastal flavors of ground coconut and spices.
12. Tomato shorba recipe – easy and light tomato soup spiced with Indian spices. tomato shorba is a simple as well as a quick recipe and gets done withing 20 to 25 minutes. It is minimally spiced, light and goes very well as a starter soup. You can even have this shorba accompany a Veg pulao or Jeera rice. or just have it plain in a cold weather.
14. Kara chutney recipe – South Indian recipe of spicy tomato chutney. This chutney is spicy as red chilies are added. You can make it less spicy if you want, by adding less chilies or using chilies which are low in heat. I have also used pearl onions in the recipe and they give a really good flavor. Instead of pearl onions, you can also use shallots or regular onions. You can serve kara chutney with Idli, Dosa or Uttapam. this chutney specifically also goes very well with Methi dosa.
15. Tomato saar recipe – tangy soupy curry like preparation made with tomatoes, coconut and spices. you can also call it as tomato curry. This is a finger-licking tasty saar that tastes awesome with steamed rice.
16. Cream of tomato soup – delicious creamy tomato soup made without cream. The soup has a creamy, smooth consistency with a light tanginess from the tomatoes.
17. Roasted tomato soup – easy soup recipe with roasted tomatoes. a simple & easy soup that can be had with some warm bread or baguette.
18. Tomato biryani recipe – one pot spiced South Indian style tomato biryani recipe. Unlike the regular Biryani, this tomato biryani recipe is not layered and dum cooked. The entire recipe is made in a thick bottomed pot or pan. Covered with a tight fitting lid and slow cooked. If in a hurry, you can use pressure cooker to make the same recipe.
19. Tomato pachadi recipe – this Andhra style tomato chutney is tangy, sour and spicy. these three flavor profiles in this tomato chutney pairs very well with an idli or dosa or uttapam or Adai or Punugulu or Medu vada or Mysore bonda.
21. Bengali tomato khejur chutney – a delicious, sweet and spiced tomato chutney made with dates having the flavors & aroma of panch phoron (Bengali 5 spice mix).
22. Onion tomato raita – one of the easiest raita made using onion, tomato, green chili and mint.
23. Tomato upma – tangy and spicy upma made with sooji-rava (cream of wheat), tomatoes and spices.
24. Tomato chokha recipe – a smoky relish or bharta made from fire roasted tomatoes, herbs and mustard oil. Tomato chokha is served with Litti chokha and comes from the cuisine of bihar and jharkand in India. I have also posted recipes of Aloo chokha and Baingan chokha.
25. Tomato and cheese sandwich recipe – quick and easy grilled sandwich made with tomatoes and cheddar cheese. can be easily made in a tawa or pan. For more tasty cheese recipes you can check this Collection of 25 cheese recipes.
26. Instant Pot Tomato Rasam – An easy recipe to make quick rasam in the Instant Pot. No rasam powder (a special spice blend for making rasam) and tamarind are required. The recipe is vegan too.
27. Tomato omelette – A light, crispy and protein rich Indian veg omelette made with gram flour (besan) or chickpea flour, tomatoes, onions, herbs and spices. Make this hearty and wholesome plant based omelette recipe that comes together under 30 minutes for your next breakfast or brunch.
28. Bruschetta recipe – simple yet flavorful recipe of tomato and basil bruschetta. bruschetta is one of my favorite starters. It not only tastes good but also pretty easy to prepare. You can make them in large quantities for parties or gatherings. This a quick as well as easy starter recipe of bruschetta.
29. Momos chutney recipe – spicy chutney for veg momos made with tomatoes, garlic and red chilies. You can serve this chutney with Veg momos. Apart from momos, this spicy tomato chutney also goes well with any pakora or fritters or tikkis/patties.
30. Tomato salsa – tangy and spicy tomato salsa from the Mexican cuisine. Tomato salsa is quick to prepare. You can serve it as an appetizer or condiment along with the main course.
31. Carrot tomato soup – A vegan, nutritious, sweet and tangy soup made with plump tomatoes and fresh carrots.
32. Penne pasta – pasta in a tomato mushroom sauce base. Cheese is not added in the recipe. But you can add parmesan cheese to the tomato mushroom sauce. For more delicious mushroom recipes you can check this Collection of 33 mushroom recipes.
33. Tomato bhaji – easy and simple sabzi made with tomatoes, jaggery, peanuts and desiccated coconut. Tangy as well as slightly sweet. Goes very well as a side dish with chapatis or phulkas.
34. Tomato cucumber sandwich – one of the most easiest and quick sandwich recipe to make. These sandwiches can also be packed as a tiffin snack as well as wrapped and taken while travelling.
This Tomato Recipes Collection Post from the blog archives, first published in March 2016 has been republished and updated on December 2022.