Tomato soup recipe with step by step photos – easy to prepare restaurant style delicious tomato soup recipe. Tomato soup is popular in all Indian restaurants. Whenever I see the menu of most of the restaurants in India, I always get to see tomato soup along with the Indo Chinese soups.
I have had tomato soup in many places. some restaurants really make a good soup. Whereas in some, the soup taste has been from sour to very sweet and. The consistency has been thin like a Tomato rasam to very thick pasty consistency. So when I would have these soups, a thought in mind always crossed – I make a better tomato soup that what this restaurant has served me. Am sure most of you would have had this thought crossed your mind too, that you can make better soups than the restaurant ones.
A few soups I have been making from my teens. This recipe belongs to that category. Its my trademark recipe that you won’t find any where else on the internet and I am glad to share this one.
Tips for making a really good tomato soup
- Use fresh ripe red tomatoes. Avoid using tomatoes which are sour or unripe.
- There is a balance of tanginess from the tomatoes and sweetness from the sugar and cream. Make sure that the soup does not become very sweet. After all its tomato soup and should have the tang in it.
- The tomatoes are blanched & then pureed. Blanching process I have shown in the step by step pics. (the blanching process I follow, is the way I had learnt in my home science cooking lab and have been using this method for years now. )
- You can skip the onions in the soup if you prefer, but do add the garlic.
How to make tomato soup
Preparing tomato puree
1. first rinse 4 medium to large tomatoes and keep aside. In a saucepan or pot take enough water (approx 5-6 cups). So that the tomatoes can get immersed. Add about 1 tsp salt to the water and bring the water to a rolling boil.
2. add the tomatoes and switch off the fire. Close the saucepan or pot with the lid. let the tomatoes be immersed in the hot water for 20-30 minutes.
3. drain the water and let them become warm or cool down. Due to the blanching process, the tomato peel shrinks and can be easily removed.
4. In the meantime, heat a frying pan/tava or preheat the oven. Place the bread in the pan and on a low flame toast the bread till its browned and crisp from both sides. If using the oven, place the bread in the oven at 200 degrees C and toast the bread till its browned and crisp.
5. make a smooth paste of 1 tsp cornflour with 2 tbsp water.
6. directly chop the tomatoes above the blender jar so that the juices drop directly inside the blender jar. If you cannot do this, then chop the tomatoes on a chopping board and add everything to the blender including the juices. Blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree. There should be no bits or small chunks of tomatoes. It should be a really smooth puree.
Making tomato soup
7. Melt 1 to 1.5 tbsp butter in a pan. Add 1 bay leaf and saute for 1 to 2 seconds. Add ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic and saute for some seconds on a low flame. No need to brown the garlic.
8. add ¼ cup finely chopped onions and sauté till the onions become translucent.
9. now add the tomato puree.
10. Stir and then add 1 cup water, salt as required and black pepper powder as required.
11. on a low to medium flame, let the soup come to a gentle boil. Stir the corn flour paste (corn starch paste) that we made earlier and add it to the soup.
12. stir well and simmer for 3-4 minutes till the soup thickens on a low flame. Now add ½ tbsp sugar and stir. Then add 1 tbsp cream.
13. Stir the cream and simmer for a minute. Switch off the stove.
14. Chop the toasted bread into cubes.
15. Pour the steaming hot tomato soup in soup bowls. add the bread croutons to the soup. You can also garnish the tomato soup With parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro leaves) and dot with some cream if you prefer.
More popular Soup recipes
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 4 medium to large tomatoes
- 2 to 3 small to medium garlic cloves, finely chopped or ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 teaspoon corn flour (corn starch) + 2 tablespoon water
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cream (25- 30% fat) - you can consider adding 2 tablespoon cream or dot with cream when serving the soup.
- ½ tablespoon regular sugar or unrefined cane sugar or add as required
- 1 or 2 slices of bread - brown bread or whole wheat or white bread
- freshly crushed or powdered black pepper as required
- salt as required
- parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro leaves) for garnishing
preparing tomato puree
- First rinse the tomatoes really well and keep aside. Remove the stems if there are any.
- In a saucepan or pot take enough water (approx 5-6 cups). So that the tomatoes get immersed completely.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt to the water and bring the water to a rolling boil.
- Add the tomatoes and switch off the fire. Close the saucepan or pot with the lid.
- Let the tomatoes be immersed in the hot water for 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the water and let them become warm or cool down.
- In the meantime, finely chop the onion and garlic. Keep aside.
- Once the tomatoes become warm or cool down, then peel them. Slice off the eye part from the tomatoes.
- Then directly chop the tomatoes above the blender jar so that the juices drop directly inside the blender jar.
- If you cannot do this, then chop the tomatoes on a chopping board and add everything to the blender including the juices.
- Blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree. Keep aside.
- Heat a frying pan (tava or griddle) or pre heat the oven.
- Place the bread in the pan and on a low flame toast the bread till its browned and crisp from both sides.
- If using the oven, place the bread in the oven at 200 degrees c and toast the bread till its browned and crisp.
- Once the bread is toasted and golden, slice it into cubes. Keep aside.
making tomato soup
- Make a smooth paste of the 1 teaspoon cornflour with 2 tablespoon water.
- Melt butter in a pan. Add the bay leaf and saute for 1 to 2 seconds
- Add the finely chopped garlic and saute for some seconds on a low flame. No need to brown garlic.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till the onions become translucent.
- Now add the tomato puree. Stir and then add water, salt and pepper.
- On a low to medium flame, let the soup come to a gentle boil.
- Stir the corn flour paste (since the corn flour settles down) that we made earlier and add it to the soup.
- Stir well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes till the tomato soup thickens on a low flame.
- Now add sugar and stir. Then add the cream and simmer for a minute.
- Pour the steaming hot tomato soup in soup bowls.
- Add the bread croutons to the soup. garnish it with parsley or coriander leaves. Serve the tomato soup hot.
- Instead of butter you can use olive oil or coconut oil.
- Instead of cream you can use coconut cream.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.