Tomato and cheese sandwich is a quick and easy grilled sandwich made with tomatoes and cheddar cheese.
This is one of those sandwiches I make at times as a quick snack or brunch for us. Pretty easy and simple to make. Tomatoes and cheese pair very well in any recipe.
Usually, I toast or grill these sandwiches in an electric toaster or grill. In the post I have shown how to grill the sandwich on a tawa. So if you do not have toaster or grill, then also you can easily make these sandwiches on a tawa (skillet) or pan.
Serve these tomato cheese sandwiches with any dip or tomato sauce or chutney. You can also accompany some potato chips or banana wafers or potato wedges by the side.
How to make cheese and tomato sandwich
2. Then place 3 to 4 slices of tomatoes.
3. Add grated cheddar cheese. You can add less or more as per your requirements. But do not add too much or over stuff with cheese and then the cheese melts on tawa and makes a mess.
4. Sprinkle, dried herbs like oregano and basil. You can also use dried mix herbs. Also sprinkle some black pepper powder or freshly crushed black pepper and red chili flakes. You can also sprinkle some salt if you want.
5. Cover with the second buttered slice.
6. Heat a pan or tawa and brush some butter on it.
7. Place the tomato and cheese sandwich on the tawa and gently move it around so that it soaks up the butter.
8. Place a plate or lid on it. On top of the plate place a heavy weight like mortar or a heavy bowl. Or you could just use a heavy plate or tray.
9. When the bottom bread is grilled well, then remove the lid and heavy weight. Brush some butter on top side. With this method the sandwiches get grilled fast, so do check with a spatula if the bottom bread is grilled well or not.
10. With a spatula turn over the sandwich. You will see the crisp and grilled side facing you.
11. Place the lid and heavy weight again and grill till the bottom bread is golden.
12. Remove and serve grilled cheese and tomato sandwich hot or warm.
You can serve these tomato and cheese sandwiches with any dip or sauce or chutney. You can also accompany some veg nuggets or french fries by the side.
Few more snacks recipes you may like are:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Tomato and cheese sandwich
- 8 to 10 bread slices - whole wheat bread, brown bread or white bread
- 1 medium to large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or add as required
- dried oregano, as required
- dried basil, as required
- crushed black pepper or black pepper powder, as required
- red chili flakes, as required - optional
- butter, as required
- Spread butter on all the bread slices.
- Place 3 to 4 tomato slices on half of the bread slices.
- Sprinkle herbs and black pepper or red chili flakes. You can also sprinkle some salt if you want.
- Cover with remaining half of the bread slices.
- Heat a pan or tawa and brush some butter on it.
- Place the tomato cheese sandwich on the tawa and gently move it around so that is soaks up the butter.
- Place a plate or lid on it. On top of the plate place a heavy weight like mortar or a heavy bowl. Or you could just use a heavy plate or tray.
- When the bottom bread is grilled well, then remove the lid and heavy weight. Brush some butter on top side.
- With a spatula turn over the sandwich. You will see the crisp and grilled side facing you.
- Place the lid and heavy weight again and grill till the bottom bread is golden. On a large tawa or pan, you can easily toast 2 to 3 sandwiches together.
- Remove and serve hot or warm.
- You can add less or more tomatoes and grated cheese.
- Herbs can be added less or more.
- Instead of cheddar cheese you can also use mozzarella cheese or processed cheese.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.