Roasted tomato soup recipe with step by step photos. This soup is an all-time favorite of mine. In this soup recipe, the tomatoes are roasted. There is another restaurant style tomato soup on the blog where the tomatoes are not roasted but blanched.
Soups and salads – Two of a kind that are very rare on the blog. The reason being nobody at home is a Soup or salad person except me. So I usually make soups or salads for myself 🙂
For the first time when I made this roasted tomato soup, I loved it for awesomeness. After that, I have made this roasted tomato soup many times. Roasting the tomatoes lends a warm, earthy flavor to the tomatoes which you won’t get in the regular tomato soup.
This soup recipe is very simple and easy. The tomatoes are sliced and then roasted in the oven with some garlic and olive oil. along with the roasted tomatoes, the juices of the tomatoes and garlic with the olive oil is then pureed. add a dash of pepper and salt and the soup is ready. Easy and no cooking on the stovetop involved.
A simple & easy soup that can be had with some warm bread or baguette. If you don’t like garlic, then just make the soup without garlic. the roasted tomato soup recipe is adapted from the Ehow website.
For any tomato-based dish like a soup or gravy, it is always better to use ripe red tomatoes. So that you do not get very sour tasting soup or gravy in the end.
How to make roasted tomato soup
1. Rinse 4 to 5 large tomatoes (530 to 550 grams) in water. now slice the tomatoes and place them in a baking tray. add 6 to 7 medium sized garlic (chopped) also in the tray. If you do not prefer a garlicky flavor, then you can skip garlic or reduce their quantity.
2. Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil evenly on the tomatoes.
3. Roast in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 25-30 minutes or till the tomatoes have shrunk in size & got golden.
4. When the roasted tomatoes are slightly hot or warm, add them in a blender along with the garlic, the juices and oil from the tray.
5. Add some crushed black pepper (½ to 1 tsp or as per taste), salt and sugar ( ¼ tsp or according to taste) in the blender. adding sugar depends on the sweetness of tomatoes. If the tomatoes are sweet, then you don’t need to add any sugar.
6. Add ¼ to ½ cup warm or slightly hot water. for a thicker soup you can add less water and for a medium consistency, you can add more water. if the tomatoes are very juicy, then you don’t need to add any warm water.
7. blend to a smooth puree. Check the seasonings and add more black pepper, sugar or salt if required.
8. Pour the soup in serving bowls. garnish the soup with mint or cilantro or cheese or cream. Serve roasted tomato soup warm or chilled. The recipe serves 2 and can also be increased proportionately to 4 or 6 servings.
Few more Soup recipes you may like are:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 530 to 550 grams tomatoes or 4 to 5 large ripe red tomatoes
- 4 grams garlic or 6 to 7 medium sized garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper , crushed or add as per taste
- ¼ teaspoon sugar or add as per taste
- ¼ to ½ cup warm water
- salt as required
roasting the tomatoes
- Rinse the tomatoes in water.
- Now slice the tomatoes and place them in a baking tray.
- Add chopped garlic also in the tray.
- Drizzle the olive oil evenly on the tomatoes.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 180 degrees c for 25-30 minutes or till the tomatoes have shrunk in size & got golden.
making roasted tomato soup
- When the roasted tomatoes are slightly hot or warm, add them in a blender along with the garlic and all the juices and oil from the tray.
- Add some crushed black pepper, salt and sugar to the blender.
- Add warm or slightly hot water and blend to a smooth puree.
- Pour the soup in serving bowls.
- Garnish with mint or cilantro or cheese or cream.
- Serve roasted tomato soup warm or chilled.
- The addition of warm water is optional. If the tomatoes are juicy, then you don't need to add any warm water.
- Again adding sugar depend on the sweetness of tomatoes. If the tomatoes are sweet, then you don't need to add any sugar.
- The recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- Best to use ripe red tomatoes.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later