andhra tomato dal recipe with step by step photos. this tomato dal or tomato pappu is inspired from the andhra cuisine known for its bold and spicy flavors. however, this andhra style tomato dal is neither spicy nor hot.
dal is also called as “pappu” in the telugu language. dal is a staple in indian homes and there are many many variations of making dal which vary from state to state as well as from home to home.
this tomato dal has the tang and the flavors of tomatoes. here i have done the tempering first and then sautéed the onions, ginger, garlic and tomatoes. later arhar dal (pigeon pea lentils) are added and cooked till done. the result is a mild, slightly tangy and comforting dal that is best had with steamed rice and some ghee. have a side vegetable dish or a vegetable raita and you have a complete meal.
in the pic below, tomato dal is served with andhra mango pickle, onion-tomato salad and steamed rice.
if you are looking for more dal recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR tomato pappu
- ½ cup arhar dal (tuvar dal, pigeon pea lentils)
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium sized onion - approx ⅓ to ½ cup chopped onions
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 green chili - chopped
- ½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves - crushed to a paste in a mortar-pestle or 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 medium tomatoes - approx 1 to 1.25 cups chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (red chilli powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 cups water for pressure cooking
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE tomato pappu
soaking arhar dal
- pick, rinse and soak arhar dal (pigeon pea lentils) for 15 to 20 minutes.
- later drain all the water and keep the lentils aside.
making tomato dal
- heat oil or ghee in the pressure cooker.
- add the mustard seeds first and let them crackle.
- then add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- add the onions, curry leaves and green chilies. sauté the onions till they turn translucent.
- add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for a few seconds on a low to medium flame till their raw aroma goes away.
- now add the tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium-low flame.
- add the lentils and water. mix well.
cooking tomato dal
- pressure cook on high flame for 5 to 6 whistles or till the dal is cooked completely. timing to cook dal will depend upon the quality of dal and intensity of flame.
- when the pressure settles down, remove the lid.
- mash the tomato dal lightly and add ½ cup water or as required to get a medium consistency in the dal. mix well.
- simmer the tomato dal for 5 to 7 minutes on a low to medium flame till you get a dal which is neither thin nor thick but having a medium consistency.
- check the taste and add more salt if required.
- garnish tomato dal with coriander leaves.
- serve andhra tomato pappu hot with steamed rice, pickle and vegetable salad.
- soak lentils for an hour before cooking them.
- follow the same recipe method. however, add 3 to 3.5 cups water and cover & cook the lentils till they become soft and thoroughly cooked. there should be no separate grains visible. the consistency of the lentils should be smooth and creamy. add more water if required.
- use a deep pot while cooking as the lentils start frothing while cooking. if the mixture froths up and starts coming out, then remove the lid and cook.
preparation to make tomato pappu or tomato dal
1. pick and then rinse ½ cup arhar dal (tuvar dal or pigeon pea lentils) a couple of times in water.
2. soak the arhar dal in water for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. later drain the water and place the dal aside.
4. chop onion, tomatoes and green chili. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making the andhra tomato dal.
making tomato pappu
5. heat 2 tablespoons oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
6. add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds first.
7. let the mustard seeds crackle.
8. then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and let them splutter.
9. then add ⅓ to ½ cup chopped onions and 10 to 12 curry leaves.
10. next add 1 green chili (chopped).
11. sauté the onions till they become translucent.
12. then add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste. for making ginger-garlic paste, you can crush ½ inch ginger and 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves to a paste in a mortar-pestle.
13. saute for a few seconds on a low to medium flame till the raw smell from both ginger and garlic goes away.
14. then add 2 medium sized tomatoes (chopped) or approx 1 to 1.25 cups chopped tomatoes. mix well.
15. add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) and salt as required.
16. saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium-low flame.
17. then add the arhar dal (lentils).
18. mix well and then add 2 cups water.
19. mix again.
cooking tomato dal
20. pressure cook on high flame for 7 to 8 whistles or till the dal is cooked completely.
21. when the pressure settles down on its own, then remove the lid of pressure cooker.
22. mash the dal lightly with a wooden spatula or spoon.
23. add ½ cup water or as required in the dal to get a medium consistency. mix well.
24. simmer tomato dal for 5 to 7 minutes on a low to medium flame till you get a dal which is neither thin nor thick but having a medium consistency. stir dal at intervals when its simmering.
25. check the taste of tomato dal and add more salt if required. switch off the flame.
26. garnish the tomato dal with coriander leaves.
27. serve andhra tomato dal hot with steamed rice, pickle and vegetable salad.