penne pasta recipe with step by step photos – pastas and pizza …. somethings which neither me nor hubby likes…
question: so why this recipe of penne pasta?
answer: sometimes, there is nothing wrong in making a recipe which one does not like.
result: husband did not eat the penne at all and just had the tomato mushroom sauce… and that leaves me to eat the penne… which I obviously cannot… so there was the penne in the fridge which i had to have the next day. so i combined it with pesto and it was great.
but for all pasta lovers this recipe is a treat. i remembered all my friends who love pasta when i made this italian recipe.
few more pasta recipes on the blog are:
before we start with the step by step recipe… let me tell you what is penne.
penne is a cylinder shaped pasta. pasta is usually made from wheat flour or eggs. the ones which i had were made from semolina derived from durum wheat.
i have also used both black and green olives in this recipe… you could skip olives if you don’t have these. instead of olives you can also use capers.
this one is a vegan recipe as i have not added any cheese. yet you could add some soft creamy cheese or parmesan cheese to the tomato mushroom sauce. fresh cream can also be added. also the herbs that you can use can be fresh or dried. choose your own mix of herbs and be innovative and creative.
For the tomato mushroom sauce
- 6-7 ripe red medium size tomatoes
- 2 medium size onions, sliced or chopped
- 300 grams mushrooms
- 6-7 flakes of garlic, crushed (lahsun)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon italian herb mix
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 green olives
- 4 black olives
- 2 or 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt as required
For the pasta
- 200 to 250 grams penne
- 3 or 4 cups water
- salt as required
To make the penne pasta
- boil the water in a pan.
- add the penne and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- strain the water and reserve the penne.
To make the tomato mushroom sauce
- heat the olive oil in a pan.
- add the sliced onions and fry them till they become light brown.
- add the crushed garlic and fry for a minute or two.
- add the chopped tomatoes now and saute them till they become soft.
- now add all the herbs, salt and pepper and mix it with the rest of the tomatoes.
- saute the tomatoes till they the entire mixture becomes one. this will take about 20-25 mins on a low flame. keep on stirring in after couple of minutes when the tomatoes are getting cooked.
- now add the mushrooms.
- the mushrooms will loose water and then shrunk in size and then get finally cooked. this process will take about 15-20 minutes.
- finally add the olives and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- serve the penne with the tomato mushroom and olives.
preparation to make penne pasta
1. rinse the tomatoes and chop them.
2. also rinse the mushrooms and chop them.
making penne pasta
3. heat the olive oil and add sliced onions too it and fry till they become light brown…
4. after a few minutes add crushed garlic.
5. stir it with the sauted onions.
6. its time to now add the tomatoes..
7. cook the tomatoes on a low or medium flame till they become soft and mushy. now when the tomatoes are getting cooked, heat up some water, add salt to it and cook the penne pasta. drain and reserve once done.
8. now add salt and pepper to the tomatoes.
9. add the dried herbs.
10. i also added some extra oregano.
11. mix all the spices well and cook the tomatoes till they become paste like… this is how the sauce should look…
12. now we add the mushrooms..
13. allow the mushrooms to cook in the tomato sauce… they will leave water and then shrink… et all… just be patient and let them cook…
14. remove the lovely olives.
15. slice or chop them and add them to the tomato mushroom sauce.
16. saute for a few minutes and then put of the fire… at this stage you could two things… either add the penne to the tomato mushroom olive sauce or serve the penne separately with the tomato mushroom olive sauce like i did.