Baingan ka chokha recipe with step by step photos – Baingan chokha as it is called in bihar is a delicious fire-roasted mashed aubergine dish that is served with Littis or sattu ka paratha. A low fat, gluten-free and vegan dish.
This is a Bihari style delicious baingan chokha and it tastes very different than the Punjabi Baingan bharta. apart from baingan, all the other ingredients used are raw. Nothing is sauteed in oil. A bit of mustard oil is added which gives a slight pungency in the dish and compliments the light sweet taste of the baingan very well.
To prepare the baingan chokha, you will need bharta baingan or the large violet aubergine or eggplant. Fire roasting baingan, gives a smoky flavor to the dish. Though you can even roast aubergine in an oven.
Again like Tomato chokha and Aloo chokha, this recipe is very easy. Apart from serving with litti, you can also have baingan chokha with rotis or parathas or as side accompaniment with any North Indian meal.
How to make baingan ka chokha
1. Rinse the baingan (eggplant or aubergine) in water. Place it on a wired rack on a stovetop or you can place it directly on fire.
2. Keep turning the eggplant after 2 to 3 minutes on the flame so that it is evenly cooked.
3. Roast the eggplant till its completely cooked and tender. With a knife check the doneness. The knife should slid easily in eggplant without any resistance. Remove the eggplant and immerse in a bowl of water till it cools down.
4. Then peel it and chop.
5. Add the chopped eggplant in a mixing bowl along with its juices.
Making baingan ka chokha
6. Then add ⅓ cup chopped onions, ½ teaspoon chopped green chilies, ½ teaspoon chopped garlic and 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
7. Add 1 teaspoon mustard oil. If you want, you can add ¼ to ½ teaspoon lemon juice for a slight tang.
8. Season with salt.
9. Mix everything very well. Check the taste and add more salt, mustard oil and green chilies if required.
10. Serve baingan ka chokha with litti chokha or sattu ka paratha or rotis or parathas.
More Baingan recipes
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Baingan ka Chokha
- 420 grams large eggplant (baingan) or 1 large bharta baingan
- ⅓ cup chopped onions or 1 medium onion - chopped or 50 grams onion
- ½ teaspoon chopped green chilies
- ½ teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard oil
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- salt as required
- Rinse the baingan (eggplant) in water. Place it on a wired rack on a stove top or you can place it directly on fire.
- Keep turning the eggplant after 2 to 3 minutes on the flame, so that its evenly cooked.
- Roast the baingan till its completely cooked and tender.
- With a knife check the doneness. The knife should slid easily in baingan without any resistance. Remove the baingan and immerse in a bowl of water till it cools down.
- Then peel it and chop.
making baingan chokha
- Add the chopped baingan in a mixing bowl along with its juices.
- Then add 1/3 cup chopped onions, 1/2 teaspoon chopped green chilies, 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic and 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
- Add 1 teaspoon mustard oil. If you want, you can add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice for a slight tang.
- Season with salt. Mix everything very well.
- Serve baingan ka chokha with litti chokha or rotis.
- Recipe can be doubled.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.