Carrot Tomato Soup recipe with step by step photos. This is one of the most simplest and easy soup recipe to make. A vegan recipe.
The tomato carrot soup has the sweetness of the carrots & onions, along with the slight tanginess of the tomatoes. Garlic in the soup gives a slight sharpness with the earthy flavors of cumin.
Its a smooth textured soup like tomato soup and has a similar consistency. Excellent for all seasons and for everybody- adults and kids alike.
This is my mil’s soup recipe which is favored by all of us. Instead of butter, I have used olive oil in soup. I have kept the soup ingredients such that it can be made by everybody, hence not added one Indian ingredient – asafoetida aka hing. However, if you have asafoetida, you can add it to the soup.
The recipe below mentions the soup, the way my mil makes it. I just made the soup minus butter, asafoetida, spinach and french beans. So these ingredients are optional and if you want you can add them. I have also shared 4 more tomato soup varieties:
- Tomato soup (Restaurant style)
- Tomato shorba (Indian style tomato soup)
- Cream of tomato soup (made with fresh tomatoes)
- Roasted tomato soup Which tastes different from this soup.
Adding black pepper is my own variation to this soup. If making for kids, then skip adding black pepper. You can also add some sugar to make the soup slightly sweet.
How to make tomato carrot soup
1. Rinse tomatoes and carrots first.
2. Peel the carrots and onion. Chop all the veggies.
3. In a pressure cooker add 2 medium-sized chopped carrots, 2 medium-sized chopped tomatoes, 1 medium-sized chopped onion, 3 to 4 chopped garlic cloves and 2 cups of water.
4. Stir and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or till the vegetables are cooked well. Alternatively, the veggies can also be cooked in a pot. Cover the pot and let the veggies get steamed.
5. No need to drain the boiled veggies.
6. Once the vegetables become warm, blend with a hand blender or in a blender.
7. Blend the veggies till smooth. i blended in a grinder alternatively you can also blend in the pressure cooker itself with a hand blender.
Making carrot tomato soup
8. Heat olive oil or butter in a pan.
9. Add ½ teaspoon cumin powder and salt.
10. Stir for a few seconds.
11. Add the vegetable puree to this mixture.
12. Stir and simmer the soup for 2 to 3 minutes.
13. If the mixture is thick, you can add some water and if it is thin, then you can cook for a few minutes more.
14. Garnish the soup with cilantro or parsley leaves.
Serve Carrot tomato soup hot. You can also garnish the soup with some grated paneer or cheese.
If you are looking for more Soup recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Carrot Tomato Soup
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 to 3 large spinach leaves - optional
- 5 to 6 french beans - optional
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 2 to 3 pinches of black pepper powder - optional
- 2 cups water
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- black salt or rock salt (edible and food grade), as required
- few cilantro or parsley leaves for garnishing
making carrot tomato puree
- Rinse the veggies first. Peel the carrots and onion. Chop all the veggies.
- In a pressure cooker add the veggies, chopped garlic and water.
- Stir and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or till the vegetables are cooked well.
- Alternatively the veggies can also be cooked in a pot.
- Cover the pot and let the veggies get steamed.
- No need to drain the boiled veggies.
- Once the vegetables become warm. blend with a hand blender or in a blender. Blend the veggies till smooth.
- I blended in a grinder. Alternatively you can also blend in the pressure cooker itself with a hand blender.
making carrot tomato soup
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the cumin powder and salt.
- Stir for a few seconds and add the vegetable puree to this mixture.
- Stir and simmer the soup for 2-3 minutes.
- If the mixture is thick, you can add some water and if its thin, then you can cook for a few minutes more.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley leaves.
- Serve carrot tomato soup hot. You can also garnish the soup with some grated paneer or cheese.