This Pizza sauce recipe is an easy, quick and delicious recipe to make an awesome and best pizza sauce at home. A vegan recipe.
This pizza sauce is made with fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil. I feel homemade sauces are always better and in terms of taste and flavor, beat any store-bought sauce hands down.
This pizza sauce works well for 4 to 5 medium-sized pizzas. the recipe can easily be doubled. Since the method and recipe is easy, you can adjust the quantity of herbs as per your choice.
Apart from pizza, the sauce also works well with pasta. just toss the cooked pasta & steamed/sauted veggies in the sauce. Top with some cheese and bake or grill the pasta till the cheese melts.
You can make the pizza sauce a bit chunky or smooth. I have pureed the tomatoes with some bits for a chunkier version. You can also chop the tomatoes finely. For a smooth version, puree the tomatoes very well.
As I have mentioned before, The sauce is made with fresh tomatoes. I only get to buy the tomatoes which are available in the Indian markets. We don’t get many varieties of tomatoes in India. These tomatoes are the usual Indian tomatoes which are red and ripe.
How to make pizza sauce
1. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add finely chopped garlic and sauté for 10 to 12 seconds on a low flame.
2. Then add the tomato puree and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes on a low to medium flame. I did not puree the tomatoes till smooth. Kept a few bits of tomatoes pieces.
3. When the tomatoes are cooked well, add the chopped basil, dry oregano, salt and black pepper powder.
4. Simmer the sauce for 1 to 2 minutes more.
5. When the pizza sauce is cooled, you can use it right away as a pizza topping. Otherwise, Store the sauce in a bowl or a small jar in the refrigerator. Keeps good for 3 to 4 days.
Few more sauce recipes
Best Homemade Pizza Sauce
for the pizza sauce
- 3 medium to large tomatoes, pureed - yields approx 1.5 to 2 cups of tomato puree
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoon dry oregano or 1 to 1.5 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- salt as required
- black pepper powder as required
making tomato puree
- Rinse and then chop the tomatoes.
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender or with a hand blender.
- Keep a few bits and pieces of tomatoes in the puree.
making pizza sauce
- Heat olive oil in a small pan.
- Then add the chopped garlic and saute for 10-12 seconds on a low flame.
- Add the tomato puree and saute for 4-5 mins on a low to medium flame.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, add the chopped basil, dry oregano, salt and pepper.
- Stir & simmer for 1-2 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- Check the seasonings add more salt or pepper if required.
- Once cooled, use the pizza sauce as a topping on pizzas or store in a bowl or in a small jar.
- For a smooth version, puree the tomatoes very well.