collection of 40 pongal festival recipes – pongal is a harvest festival celebrated in the state of tamil nadu from 14 january to 17 january. pongal festival is dedicated to the sun god (surya bhagwan) and is one of the most important festival for people from tamil nadu.
on the same date (14th jan), the festival of makar sankranti is also celebrated all over india in various ways. both these festivals are celebrated during the harvest time and also signals the end of winters. they are celebrated by farmers as a day of thanksgiving to sun god for their abundant crops. so it is the time of joy as well as gratitude. people exchange sweets and celebrate the festival with lot of joy and happiness.
this collection has the south indian recipes that are made during pongal festival. most of the recipes made below are without onion and garlic. but in case if any recipe has onion or garlic, then you can skip them when preparing for the pongal festival or for the deities.
this pongal festival collection has recipes that can be made for main course as well as snack recipes and sweet recipes.
collection of 40 pongal festival recipes
1. ven pongal recipe – popular south indian breakfast made with rice and yellow moong lentils.
2. sweet pongal recipe – sweet porridge like dish made with rice and mung lentils, flavored with cardamoms and dry fruits. sweet pongal is also known as sakkarai pongal in tamil language is a sweet dish made during festive occasions in south india.
3. rava pongal recipe – healthy breakfast recipe of pongal made with rava and moong dal. rava pongal can be served with coconut chutney, mango pickle or curd. though you can also have pongal with sambar.
4. chakkara pongal recipe – a variation of sweet pongal that is made with rock sugar or sugar candy. sugar candy is also known “mishri” in hindi. you can even use regular sugar to make this pongal.
5. tamarind rice recipe – popular south indian recipe of a tangy, sour & spiced rice. the recipe dish is also known as puliyodharai in tamil language.
6. curd rice recipe – a popular south indian rice variety that is served with a south indian meal or south indian thali.
7. bisi bele bath recipe – one of the most popular traditional rice-lentil-vegetable dish from the karnataka cuisine. bisi bele bath is so popular that you get it so easily in the south indian restaurants in bangalore.
8. lemon rice recipe – crunchy, flavorful and sour rice recipe from south india. this lemon rice dish is one of the easiest to make. already cooked or steamed rice is mixed with a spiced lemon and peanut mixture.
9. coconut rice recipe – mild and light south indian coconut rice also known as thengai sadam. tastes best with freshly grated coconut. but you can use frozen coconut too.
10. arachuvitta sambar recipe – tasty mix vegetable sambar made with roasted & ground sambar masala. arachuvitta sambar is made in tambrahm homes. so a tamil brahmin specialty. this sambar recipe is without onions and garlic. also no sambar powder is added.
11. idli recipe – idli is a traditional breakfast made in every south indian household. it taste yum when served with coconut chutney or sambar. there are many varieties of idli recipes made like rava idli or poha idli or kanchipuram idli or kotte kadubu.
11. poricha kuzhambu recipe – a healthy and delicious mix veggie based lentil gravy made with coconut+spice paste. the lentils used are tuvar dal (pigeon pea lentils). though even moong lentils can be used.
10. tomato rice recipe – spicy south indian tomato rice. to reduce the spiciness, just use less amounts of ginger-garlic paste, black pepper and red chili powder.
11. ghee rice recipe – aromatic one pot rice made with ghee and spices from the south indian cuisine.
sweets recipes for pongal festival
1. til ke ladoo recipe – simple recipe of ladoos prepared with sesame seeds, jaggery, peanuts and desiccated coconut. in this till ladoo recipe, i have cooked the jaggery syrup to a soft ball stage. so this gives the ladoos a soft and chewy texture. you can also cook the jaggery syrup to hard ball stage and you will get firm and dense ladoos.
2. til gud ke ladoo recipe – delicious ladoos made with sesame seeds and jaggery. this is one of those healthy ladoos that not only has sesame seeds, but also has peanuts and desiccated coconut. a very easy recipe and within half an hour the ladoos will be ready.
2. kadalai paruppu payasam recipe – a delicious sweet dessert made with coconut milk, chana dal and jaggery.
3. bobbatlu recipe – bobbatu or puran poli is one of the sweets that is made during festivals. in telugu language, puran polis are known as bobbatlu or bobbatu. in kannada language, they are called holige or obbattu.
4. unniyappam recipe – these are sweet fritters made with rice, banana, a few spices and coconut. unniyappam is one of those special sweets snacks from kerala and are also served in the onam sadya. unniyappam are also offered as prasad in some temples in kerala.
3. poornam boorelu recipe – this is one of the most popular sweet snack from andhra cuisine. these are deep fried snacks made with a stuffing of chana dal+jaggery and coated with rice+urad dal batter.
5. maa ladoo recipe – quick and tasty south indian ladoo made from roasted gram or roasted chana dal.
6. rava kheer recipe – a quick, easy and tasty kheer made with semolina or sooji. gets done in about 20 minutes and is so simple that even a newbie can make it easily.
7. aval payasam recipe – delicious poha payasam made with flattened rice, ghee and milk.
9. rava ladoo recipe – easy, quick and tasty recipe of ladoos made with semolina, khoya and desiccated coconut. gets done in 20 minutes.
11. mysore pak recipe – super delicious and a popular sweet from mysore. it is made with just three main ingredients – besan, ghee and sugar. this melt in the mouth rich sweet is so called as its was invented in the kitchens of the mysore palace.
13. badam halwa recipe – south indian style delicious badam halwa recipe. the recipe gives a really good badam halwa, which has the right sweetness and a lovely texture which is not soft and firm. but kind of between. one which gives a heavenly feeling when you savor the halwa.
15. peanut ladoo recipe – a two ingredient easy recipe of ladoos made with roasted peanuts and jaggery.
16. coconut ladoo recipe – these are melt in the mouth coconut ladoos. these coconut ladoos are easy to make provided you get 1 thread or ek taar consistency in the sugar syrup. you can also check this coconut ladoo recipe with khoya and coconut ladoo recipe with condensed milk.
18. rava kesari recipe – a popular south indian sweet made from semolina during the festive season. rava kesari’s north indian counterpart is sooji ka halwa. other popular variations of rava kesari are fruit kesari, milk kesari, kesari bhath and pineapple kesari recipe.
19. whole wheat appam recipe – quick sweet appams made with whole wheat flour, bananas and jaggery.
20. puran poli recipe – flat bread stuffed with a sweet lentil filling made from skinned spilt bengal gram/chana dal and jaggery.
for more sweets recipes you can check these popular recipes collections:
savory snacks recipes for pongal festival
1. butter murukku recipe – simple, easy recipe of butter murukku. murruku is the south indian variation of the chakli that is made in maharashtra and gujarat.
2. chana dal vada recipe – yum and a favorite south indian snack made with chana dal or bengal gram. you can serve chana dal vada with coconut chutney or coriander chutney or mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
3. coconut chutney recipe – quick to prepare hotel style coconut chutney recipe that goes extremely well with idli, dosa, uttapam and medu vada.
4. ribbon pakoda recipe – a delicious variation of murukku and is also known as ribbon murukku, ola pakoda and nada thenkuzhal. these crisp fried ribbon shaped savory snack is easy to prepare and tastes good too.
5. omapodi recipe – a delicious and crispy south indian snack of sev laced with the delicate aroma and flavor of ajwain or carom seeds. in tamil language they are called as omam.
6. kara boondi recipe – a spiced version of boondi and a mixture consisting of boondi, peanuts, cashews, curry leaves and a few spices.
7. veg vada recipe – crisp vadas made with chana dal and chopped mix veggies. usually i add spare or leftover veggies from the fridge in the vadas. you can add your choice of veggies also.
9. masala vada recipe – south indian spiced fritters made with chana dal or bengal gram. the method of preparing masala vadai is similar to falafel. instead of ground white chickpeas, chana dal or bengal gram is used here.
11. instant chakli recipe – crisp and crunchy chaklis. chakli is a deep fried snack made from rice flour, gram flour, wheat flour or a mixture of lentil flours.