sooji kheer or rava kheer recipe with step by step photos – a quick, easy and tasty kheer made with semolina or rava.
the sooji kheer recipe gets done in about 20 minutes and is so simple that even a newbie can make it easily. i usually make this kheer like the way i make seviyan kheer.
this semolina pudding is easily digestible and works good even as a baby food, if you don’t add chopped dry fruits. instead just add ground dry fruits powder.
i keep the consistency of sooji kheer a bit thin and not thick like a porridge. but if you like a slightly thick porridge consistency, then do simmer for more time. in this case add less sugar than what is mentioned in the recipe. while making kheer, at times, i add some extra ghee. however you can reduce the the amount of ghee.
the rava kheer also works extremely good as an after dinner dessert. you can serve the sooji kheer hot, warm or chilled.
rava kheer or sooji kheer recipe below:
sooji kheer recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR sooji kheer recipe
- 3 tablespoon sooji (rava or semolina)
- 3 cups milk or 750 ml milk
- 4 green cardamoms (choti elachi) - crushed to a powder in a mortar-pestle or small grinder, Or ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoon cashews (kaju)
- 1 tablespoon raisins (kishmish)
- 1 tablespoon chironji (charoli) - optional
- 4 to 4.5 tablespoon sugar or add as required
- 1 pinch edible camphor (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cow's ghee - reduce the amount of ghee to ½ or ¼ tablespoon if you prefer
HOW TO MAKE sooji kheer recipe
- heat ghee in a pan. then add cashews and saute for about a minute on a low flame.
- add sooji and fry till the sooji becomes fragrant.
- stir continuously so that the sooji gets fried evenly. this takes about 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame. the cashews would also become golden by then.
- add milk and stir.
- add sugar. if using edible camphor, add now.
- stir and bring the sooji kheer to a gentle simmer. you can thicken the kheer more if you prefer.
- lastly add cardamom powder, raisins and seeds.
- stir the sooji kheer and switch off the flame.
- serve sooji kheer hot or warm or refrigerate. you can also have the kheer with pooris.
step by step rava kheer or sooji kheer recipe:
1. heat 1 tbsp ghee in a thick bottomed pan or sauce pan.
2. add 2 tbsp cashews/kaju and fry them in the ghee for about 1 minute on a low flame.
3. add 3 tbsp sooji/rava/semolina.
4. saute and stir continuously.
5. the sooji would start to release its aroma. you will also see ghee separating from the sooji. takes about 3 to 4 mins on low flame. stir continuously so that the sooji gets fried evenly. the cashews would also become golden by then.
6. add 3 cups milk (750 ml) and stir.
7. add 4 to 4.5 tbsp sugar and stir again. if using edible camphor, add now. i generally add edible camphor, when i am offering the sweet as bhog or naivedyam to our beloved deities.
8. stir and bring the sooji kheer to a gentle simmer.
9. lastly add ¼ tsp cardamom powder (4 cardamoms crushed to a powder in a mortar-pestle ), 1 tbsp raisins/kishmish and 1 tbsp chironji/charoli (optional).
10. stir the kheer and switch off the flame.