100% whole wheat bread or atta bread recipe with step by step photos – a recipe to give you a really good wheat bread with the ingredients you have at home.
this is a soft bread with a light crumb. the recipe does not have the typical denseness and heaviness which is found in 100% whole wheat breads. there is a special & secret ingredient in the recipe that helps in the gluten development.
i embarked upon this ingredient one day when i was making naan. typically the indian naans and bhatura have one ingredient that helps in the leavening process and gives a soft texture, even when the naans are made without yeast. i thought why not try using this ingredient in a bread. and it worked like a charm.
later while studying more about bread baking, i came to know that an acidic medium in limits, helps in gluten development. so no wonder that this ingredient worked. so before you ask me what is the secret… let me tell you – its curd or yogurt.
well the bread has a slight taste of yogurt, but really it does not matter. later i experimented with another acidic ingredient – vinegar and this one too worked very well. again the bread had a slight taste of vinegar, but we had no issues. as a vegetarian, you can use dairy yogurt and as a vegan you can use cashew yogurt or vinegar.
to make this bread, i have used instant yeast. i have mentioned the proportions of dry active yeast, as well in the recipe details and the method too. i brought the instant yeast from gourmetco.in. this is a really good yeast brand.
with instant yeast the leavening and rising time is faster than compared with dry active yeast. you also don’t need to proof the instant yeast like the dry active yeast. you just add the yeast into the flour and knead the dough. thanks to divya of easycooking of letting me know about the availability instant yeast in india.
i kneaded the dough with hands just to show you the texture of the dough. you can use a food processor or stand mixer also to knead the dough. at times i use kitchenaid to make dough for white bread, brown bread and whole wheat sandwich bread.
100% whole wheat bread recipe below:
100% whole wheat bread recipe | atta bread recipe
100% whole wheat bread made with atta or 100% whole wheat flour, yogurt and yeast.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 3 cups 100% whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1 to 1.25 cups water - i used 1.25 cups water
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast OR ½ tablespoon dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon regular salt or rock salt (sendha namak)
- 1 tablespoon regular sugar or unrefined cane sugar
- 2 tablespoon ghee or oil or butter
- 2 tablespoon curd (yogurt or dahi - dairy or vegan) OR 1.5 tablespoon vinegar
- some milk for brushing the top of the bread (dairy or vegan)
how to make recipe
preparing bread dough with instant yeast:
- sieve the flour with salt or just mix the flour with the salt.
- add the 1 tsp instant yeast and just lightly mix.
then add sugar, oil (or oil or butter) and curd.
- first just mix everything lightly and then slowly adding water in intervals knead to a smooth, soft dough.
- add more water if required. the dough should be slightly sticky.
- brush some water all over the dough and keep in a deep wide bowl covered with a lid or kitchen towel for 30-35 minutes.
- remove and then lightly punch & knead the dough again.
- make a log of the dough and seam the edges.
- place it in a greased loaf pan for 40-45 minutes.
- cover and let it rise.
- preheat the oven at 220 degrees C for atleast 20 minutes.
- once the bread has risen in the loaf pan, keep in the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
if the wheat bread begins to brown from the top, then cover with butter paper or aluminium foil.
when whole wheat bread is still lightly hot, remove from the loaf pan and keep it on a wired tray to cool.
preparing bread dough with dry active yeast:
- warm 1 or 1.25 cups of water.
- add 1 tbsp sugar and dry active yeast.
- stir and let the yeast activate.
- this usually takes about 10-12 minutes.
- sieve both the flour with salt.
- add the proofed yeast mixture, ghee/butter/oil and yogurt.
- mix all the ingredients first.
- then begin to knead the dough.
- add more water if required. the dough should be slightly sticky.
- continue to knead, till you get a smooth dough which when stretched doesn't tear.
- rub or brush water all over the dough and keep in a covered bowl to leaven for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- after 1.5 to 2 hours, remove the dough and punch and deflate it lightly.
- roll a single log of the dough.
- tuck the edges down on both sides of the bread loaf.
- place the bread in a greased loaf pan (9×5 inches) with the tucked edges facing downwards.
- cover the loaf pan and let the dough leaven for 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- preheat the oven at 220 degrees C for at least 20 minutes.
once the bread has risen in the loaf pan, keep in the oven and bake bread for 22-25 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
step by step 100% whole wheat bread recipe:
1. mix the whole wheat with salt and add in the instant yeast.
2. add in the yogurt, ghee/butter/oil.
3. first mix well and then knead into a soft dough adding water at intervals. the dough will be slightly sticky but after the initial rise, it will be fine.
4. keep the kneaded dough in a wide bowl and just lightly brush water all over it.
5. keep covered for 30-35 minutes. the bread dough after the first rise.
6. later punch and lightly knead the dough. make a log of the dough and seam the edges.
7. place the dough log in a greased loaf pan of 9 x 5 inches and let it rise for 40-45 mins.
8. the bread after the second rise.
9. make a 2-5 mm cross or slits on the bread and lightly brush with milk.
10. bake the whole wheat bread in a preheated oven for 220 degrees C for 22-25 mins.
when the wheat bread is still hot, remove from the pan and keep it on the wire rack to cool. once cooled, serve the bread or wrap in a cling film or keep in a bread box. serve wheat bread whenever required. you can also use this atta bread to make various recipes like baked bread rolls, cheese toast sandwich, bombay veg toast sandwich, stuffed bread pakoras, bread rolls with stuffed potatoes etc.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe