hotel style coconut chutney recipe for dosa with step by step photos – this is my quick hotel style coconut chutney recipe that goes extremely well with idli, dosa, uttapam and medu vada. this chutney also goes well with upma.
i shall be posting some more coconut chutney recipes with different variations. e.g. in this coconut chutney recipe tempering method is used. coconut is one ingredient that is always there in my kitchen, be it fresh coconut or dessicated coconut.
what contributes majorly to the earthy taste of this hotel style coconut chutney is roasted bengal gram or chana dal.
here there is no tempering but there is some before work which does not take much time. that is of frying the curry leaves.… and they get fried quickly releasing their aromatic flavors in the oil. thats what you need to do and then grind everything….. and lo the chutney is ready to be served with dosa or idli or vadas.
the coconut chutney can be made with frozen or fresh coconut. to avoid grating coconut in the last minute, i usually grate the whole coconut and then freeze it. when i want, i just take some of the frozen coconut and my job is easy whether it is making chutneys, sambar or vegetable stir fries.
if you are looking for more chutney recipes then do check:
hotel style coconut chutney
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup grated fresh or frozen coconut
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram)
- ½ inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 15 to 20 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 teaspoon oil (coconut oil or sunflower oil)
- salt as required
how to make hotel style coconut chutney
- wash and rinse the curry leaves. dry them on a kitchen towel.
- heat oil in a small pan. add the curry leaves and fry till they become crisp.
- let the curry leaves-oil mixture become warm.
- add the rest of the ingredients along with the curry leaves and oil in a chutney grinder or small blender.
- add some water, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup (depends on what consistency of chutney you want) and blend to a smooth chutney.
- check the salt and add more if required.
- serve the hotel style coconut chutney with idli, dosa, medu vada or uttapam.
how to make hotel style coconut chutney recipe
1: first heat 2 tsp oil (sunflower or coconut oil). then add 15-20 curry leaves. fry them till they become crisp and this takes just about 1 or 2 minutes.
2: put all the ingredients (½ cup grated fresh or frozen coconut, ¼ cup roasted chana dal, ½ inch chopped ginger, 1 chopped green chili and salt as required) along with the curry leaves and the oil in a chutney grinder or small blender. i always use my magic bullet for making chutneys.
3: add some water and grind to a smooth chutney.
4: serve the coconut chutney with plain dosa or rava dosa or rava idli or uttapam. consume when fresh. at the most you can freeze the chutney and use for a couple of days. in cold temperatures the coconut chutney will stay longer than in warmer or hotter