collection of 12 tasty coconut chutney varieties for idli, dosa, vada. coconut chutney is usually made to go along with variety of south indian snacks like idli, dosa, vada, bonda or uttapam.
a simple chutney adds so much flavor and taste to south indian snacks that you won’t feel like having them without coconut chutney.
there are many variations of making coconut chutney. the difference lies in the ingredients used like mint, coriander, garlic, curd, tamarind etc and the method to make the chutney. e.g. tempering (tadka) makes a lot of difference to the flavor of the chutney.
here i am sharing the coconut chutney recipes i have added on blog. as i add more variations, i will update this collection post.
collection of 12 coconut chutney varieties
1. coconut chutney – this is my go-to recipe for making coconut chutney to be served with idli, dosa, uttapam and medu vada. one of the most popular chutney recipe on the blog which is tried and tested by many readers.
2. hotel style coconut chutney – this is a quick coconut chutney recipe that goes extremely well with idli, dosa, uttapam and medu vada. what contributes majorly to the earthy taste of this coconut chutney is roasted bengal gram or chana dal.
4. red coconut chutney – a bright red colored kerala style chutney for idli, dosa and uttapams. this is quick to prepare chutney, if you already have grated coconut.
5. red chilli chutney – a slightly hot version of red chilli chutney made with red chillies, coconut and spices. this red chilli chutney gets the punch when it is tempered. so do temper the chutney.
6. coconut curd chutney – the yogurt gives a slightly sour taste to this coconut chutney. this chutney tastes very good with idli and dosa or plain uttapam.
7. coconut tamarind chutney – slightly sour-tasting chutney made with tamarind, coconut and spices. simple and easy chutney recipe and goes very well with idli and dosa.
8. green coconut chutney – another variation of coconut chutney which goes well with idli, dosa, vada, uttapam, upma or other south indian tiffin snacks. the chutney has a raw taste of coriander. so, if you don’t like the raw taste of coriander then you can fry the coriander leaves in little oil and add them, while grinding the chutney.
9. pudina pachadi – this pudina chutney with coconut is made with fresh mint leaves, coconut and spices. this pudina pachadi is one more variation of using fresh herbs while making coconut chutney varieties.
10. garlic coconut chutney – a coconut chutney which has the flavors of garlic. this chutney is not tempered. i have also posted another variation of coconut garlic chutney in which the tempering or tadka is done.
11. vrat ki coconut chutney – a no onion no garlic coconut chutney made simple and easy with just three ingredients. this coconut chutney goes well with the fasting or vrat snacks that are made during navratri, ekadashi or janmashtami.
12. sesame chutney recipe – this is quick and easy coconut chutney, if you have all the ingredients at home. even bachelors or novice cook can make it easily at home. it goes well with idlis, dosa, uttapam.