wishing happy and prosperous makar sankranti to all the readers. this year makar sankranti is falling on 14th jan 2018. makar sankranti is one of those hindu festivals which falls on the same day i.e 14th jan (sometimes 15th) every year. reason being the festival date is based upon solar calendar unlike most hindu festivals whose date is decided according to lunar calendar.
makar sankranti festival is dedicated to lord sun. it is also a time for religious practices. for farmers its a time of harvesting. it also signals end of winter and the beginning of spring. one festival and many significance’s. no wonder, makar sankranti is a multi- cultural festival which is celebrated with lot of festivity and joy all over india.
here in this post, i am sharing a collection of 31 recipes which you can make for makar sankranti festival. if you don’t eat onion and garlic during this auspicious time, then skip adding them in the recipes mentioned below.
31 makar sankranti festival recipes:
1. til ke ladoo recipe – simple recipe of ladoos prepared with sesame seeds, jaggery, peanuts and desiccated coconut. in this till ladoo recipe, i have cooked the jaggery syrup to a soft ball stage. so this gives the ladoos a soft and chewy texture. you can also cook the jaggery syrup to hard ball stage and you will get firm and dense ladoos.
2. til gud ke ladoo recipe – delicious ladoos made with sesame seeds and jaggery. this is one of those healthy ladoos that not only has sesame seeds, but also has peanuts and desiccated coconut. a very easy recipe and within half an hour the ladoos will be ready.
3. peanut chikki recipe – winter special sweet of crisp peanut brittles. makar sankranti special sweet made from peanuts.
4. puran poli recipe – flat bread stuffed with a sweet lentil filling made from skinned spilt bengal gram/chana dal and jaggery.
5. surti undhiyu recipe – undhiyu is a one pot vegetable casserole dish that is the hallmark of gujarati vegetarian cuisine. this delicious recipe of undhiyu does not take much time, as all the veggies along with the methi muthia are steamed in a pressure cooker.
6. moong dal khichdi recipe – this khichdi is made using minimal ingredients and spices. this is a no onion no garlic khichdi recipe.
7. til khoya ladoo recipe – full on with the flavors of sesame seeds are these melt in the mouth til khoya ladoo. to make these delicious ladoos along with sesame seeds, khoya or mawa is used. a four ingredient easy recipe.
8. sweet pongal recipe – sweet porridge like dish made with rice and mung lentils, flavored with cardamoms and dry fruits. sweet pongal is also known as sakkarai pongal in tamil language is a sweet dish made during festive occasions in south india.
9. nolen gurer payesh recipe – a delicious rice kheer made with date palm jaggery and rice.
10. curd rice recipe – a popular south indian rice variety that is served with a south indian meal or south indian thali.
11. chenna poda recipe – a delicious dessert popular in odisha. its made with chenna or fresh paneer. the entire dish is baked and can also be called paneer cake. its also said that chhena poda is the favorite sweet of lord jagannath (the presiding deity of puri jagannath temple in odisha).
12. urad dal kachori recipe – soft as well as crisp stuffed kachori from the uttar pradesh cuisine. kachoris are stuffed with a spiced urad dal paste.
13. basundi recipe – basundi is sweet thickened milk, flavored with cardamom and nutmeg, with the addition of dry fruits. this milk based dessert is popular in the western part of india, specially in the states maharashtra and gujarat.
14. ven pongal recipe – popular south indian breakfast made with rice and yellow moong lentils.
15. sooji halwa recipe – this is a quick, easy and delicious halwa which is often made in most indian homes during festive time.
16. tamarind rice recipe – popular south indian recipe of a tangy, sour & spiced rice. the recipe dish is also known as puliyodharai in tamil language.
17. rice kheer recipe – a favorite indian dessert made with basmati rice, milk, nuts and saffron. rice kheer is one of the most popular kheer recipe made in north india during festivals.
18. besan ladoo recipe – one of the popular ladoos often made during festive occasions. besan ladoo is easy and healthy sweet which is made all over india.
19. dal kachori recipe – flaky and tasty kachoris made with spiced moong lentils stuffing.
20. atta ladoo recipe – easy and quick to prepare delicious ladoos made with whole wheat flour or atta.
21. seviyan kheer recipe – this is one of the easiest and tasty kheer recipe you can make. this popular vermicelli pudding is made during festive time.
22. badam halwa recipe – south indian style delicious badam halwa recipe. the recipe gives a really good badam halwa, which has the right sweetness and a lovely texture which is not soft and firm. but kind of between. one which gives a heavenly feeling when you savor the halwa.
23. coconut ladoo recipe – these are melt in the mouth coconut ladoos. these coconut ladoos are easy to make provided you get 1 thread or ek taar consistency in the sugar syrup. you can also check this coconut ladoo recipe with khoya and coconut ladoo recipe with condensed milk.
25. lemon rice recipe – crunchy, flavorful and sour rice recipe from south india. this lemon rice dish is one of the easiest to make. already cooked or steamed rice is mixed with a spiced lemon and peanut mixture.
26. chakkara pongal recipe – a variation of sweet pongal that is made with rock sugar or sugar candy. sugar candy is also known “mishri” in hindi. you can even use regular sugar to make this pongal.
27. sabudana khichdi recipe – a delicious dish of tapioca pearls cooked with potatoes and peanuts. vegan, gluten free and no onion no garlic recipe.
28. fafda recipe – fafda is a fried crispy crunchy tasty snack made with besan (gram flour), laced with carom seeds and black pepper. fafda is a popular gujarati snack and served with papaya sambharo and besan chutney.
29. sabudana vada recipe – crisp fried patties made with tapioca pearls, peanuts and mashed potatoes. slightly sweet and spiced to taste.
30. ribbon pakoda recipe – a delicious variation of murukku and is also known as ribbon murukku, ola pakoda and nada thenkuzhal. these crisp fried ribbon shaped savory snack is easy to prepare and tastes good too.
31. instant chakli recipe – crisp and crunchy chaklis. chakli is a deep fried snack made from rice flour, gram flour, wheat flour or a mixture of lentil flours.
32. bhogi chi bhaji recipe – bhogi chi bhaji is a delicious mix vegetable curry that is made on the day before makar sankranti. bhogi festival is celebrated one day before makar sankranti. thus this mix vegetable dish is made on this day in maharashtra. usually bhogi falls on 13th january. during bhogi festival, god indra is worshipped.