collection of 18 delicious sambar recipes – sambar is one of those dishes that is a staple in south indian homes.
some sambar recipes require sambar powder to be added. you can either buy it from outside or can also make sambar powder at home. homemade sambar powder always gives a good flavor and aroma to the dish. so i would suggest that if you make sambar often in your home then make the sambar powder at home.
i will be updating this post as i add more sambar recipes. so that it is easier for you to find all sambar recipes posted on the blog in one place. you can also check these south indian recipes collections:
- 14 idli recipes
- 37 dosa recipes
- 15 rasam recipes
- 12 coconut chutney recipes to along with south indian snacks like idli, dosa, medu vada.
- collection of 42 chutney recipes
- best south indian breakfast recipes
collection of 18 delicious sambar recipes
1. sambar recipe – an easy and quick recipe to make vegetable sambar using pressure cooker. if you love to cook food in pressure cooker then here is this collection of 16 recipes made in pressure cooker.
3. varutharacha sambar recipe – kerala varutharacha sambar is a delicious variety of sambar made with mix veggies, lentils, roasted spices and coconut. roasted coconut is one of the highlight of this sambar recipe.
4. kerala sambar – made with mix vegetables and roasted coconut-spices paste. you can use any vegetables you have or you like. few more delicious recipes from kerala cuisine are appam, kadala curry, veg stew, kerala parotta, red coconut chutney and pazham pori.
6. sambar rice recipe – an easy to prepare delicious one pot meal. making sambar rice is similar to making bisi bele bath. only the taste is different. to make sambar rice you can use your choice of veggies. the consistency of sambar rice can be easily adjusted like khichdi.
7. mysore sambar recipe – a super delicious variation of sambar made with mix vegetables. to get the authentic taste of mysore sambar, its best to use mysore sambar masala powder. also the sambar is tempered in ghee which gives an awesome taste. few more gems from mysore are:
8. mangalore style vegetable sambar – mix vegetable sambar made with lentils, roasted spices and fresh coconut paste. the vegetables added are brinjals, pumpkin, carrots, drumsticks, bottle gourd, ash gourd, sambar cucumber, tomatoes, french beans. you can also choose a mix of veggies you have. few more delicious recipes from mangalorean cuisine are:
- banana buns (sweet banana pooris)
- tindora chana masala (kadle manoli)
- paneer ghee roast
- malabar spinach curry
- mangalorean style veg biryani.
9. kathirikai sambar – delicious south indian sambar made with small brinjals. however, any brinjal or aubergine would be good in the sambar. for more delicious brinjal recipes, you can check this collection of 20 baingan recipes.
10. vengaya sambar – easy sambar made with pearl onions or small onions. this sambar not only tastes good with pearl onions but also with regular onions.
11. arachuvitta sambar – tasty mix vegetable sambar made with roasted & ground sambar masala. this sambar is made in tambrahm homes. so a tamil brahmin specialty. this sambar recipe is without onions and garlic. also no sambar powder is added. you can serve arachuvitta sambar with steamed rice or with idli, dosa, medu vada or uttapam.
12. mullangi sambar – an easy & delicious sambar made with radish (mooli). radish leave their aroma and taste in this sambar. this recipe uses sambar powder and there is no coconut in this sambar recipe. so less work and an easy delicious sambar to make.
14. udupi sambar – lightly sweet, semi spiced, tangy and a flavorful sambar made with pigeon pea lentils and mixed vegetables. udupi food is satvik without the use of onion and garlic. the famous masala dosa has its origin in udupi cuisine
15. red amaranth sambar – easy and simple sambar recipe made with red amaranth. your choice of greens can be added to the sambar like spinach or green amaranth.
16. black eyed beans pumpkin sambar – coconut based sambar made with black eyed beans (also known as cow peas or lobia or chawli or alasande or karamani) and pumpkin (kaddu) from the karnataka cuisine. you can simply make the sambar with lobia and skip the pumpkin if you want. instead of pumpkin, you can even add bottle gourd, drumsticks or brinjals or sambar cucumber. few more delicious recipes from karnataka cuisine are:
17. poosanikai sambar recipe – this is a delicious south indian sambar variety made with yellow pumpkin.
18. malvani black peas sambar – a traditional malvani black peas curry recipe also known as kala vatana rassa or kala vatana sambar
sambar powder recipes:
1. homemade sambar powder – fresh, aromatic, homemade sambar powder made with roasted spices.
2. mysore sambar powder recipe – aromatic sambar powder made with whole spices, lentils and desiccated coconut. this sambar powder is a really good sambar powder and makes excellent sambar with any veggie.