Collection of 18 delicious sambar varieties – Sambar is one of those dishes that is a staple in South Indian homes. It is healthy as well as nutritious.
Sambar is a South Indian lentil and vegetable stew made with lentils, tamarind and a special spice blend called sambar powder. Each home has its own recipe of sambar powder. Sambar can be made with a mix of one or two types of vegetables along with lentils, sambar powder, tamarind and a few spices.
I usually prepare sambar once or twice a week with Idli, dosa or steamed rice. Usually when I serve sambar with rice then I also make dry sabzi and fry some papads to go along with it.
Some sambar varieties require sambar powder to be added. You can either buy it from outside or can also make Sambar powder At home. Homemade sambar powder always gives a good flavor and aroma to the dish. So I would suggest that if you make sambar often in your home then make the sambar powder at home.
I will be updating this post as I add more sambar varieties. So that it is easier for you to find all sambar varieties posted on the blog in one place.
Collection of 18 delicious sambar varieties
1. Sambar recipe – this is one of the most popular vegetable sambar recipe on the blog. A tried and tested foolproof recipe.
2. Tiffin sambar – hotel style tiffin sambar for idli, medu vada and dosa. One of the best tiffin sambar.
3. Varutharacha sambar – Kerala varutharacha sambar is a delicious variety of sambar made with mix veggies, lentils, roasted spices and coconut. Roasted coconut is one of the highlights of this sambar.
4. Kerala sambar – made with mix vegetables and roasted coconut-spices paste. you can use any vegetables you have or you like. Few more delicious recipes from Kerala cuisine are:
6. Sambar rice – an easy to prepare delicious one pot meal. Making sambar rice is similar to making bisi bele bath. Only the taste is different. To make sambar rice You can use your choice of veggies. the consistency of sambar rice can be easily adjusted like khichdi.
7. Mysore sambar – a super delicious variation of sambar made with mix vegetables. To get the authentic taste of mysore sambar, its best to use mysore sambar masala powder. Also the sambar is tempered in ghee which gives an awesome taste.
8. Mangalore style vegetable sambar – mix vegetable sambar made with lentils, roasted spices and fresh coconut paste. the vegetables added are brinjals, pumpkin, carrots, drumsticks, bottle gourd, ash gourd, sambar cucumber, tomatoes, french beans. You can also choose a mix of veggies you have.
9. Kathirikai sambar – delicious South Indian sambar variety made with small brinjals. However, any brinjal or aubergine would be good in the sambar. For more delicious brinjal recipes, you can check this collection of 20 baingan recipes.
10. Vengaya sambar – this is an easy sambar variety made with pearl onions or small onions. This sambar not only tastes good with pearl onions but also with regular onions.
11. Arachuvitta sambar – tasty mix vegetable sambar made with roasted & ground sambar masala. This sambar is made in tambrahm homes. So a tamil brahmin specialty. Made without onions and garlic. Also no sambar powder is added. You can serve arachuvitta sambar with steamed rice or with rava idli, rava dosa, medu vada or uttapam.
12. Mullangi sambar – an easy & delicious sambar variety made with radish (mooli). Radish leaves their aroma and taste in this sambar. This recipe uses sambar powder and There is no coconut in this sambar variety. So less work and an easy delicious sambar to make.
13. Vendakkai sambar – delicious sambar made with okra or bhindi. If you like okra then this is a must try recipe for you. For more delicious bhindi recipes, you can check this collection of 23 Bhindi recipes.
14. Udupi sambar – lightly sweet, semi spiced, tangy and a flavorful sambar made with pigeon pea lentils and mixed vegetables. udupi food is satvik without the use of onion and garlic. the famous masala dosa has its origin in udupi cuisine
15. Red amaranth sambar – easy and simple sambar variety made with red amaranth. Your choice of greens can be added to the sambar like spinach or green amaranth.
16. Black eyed beans pumpkin sambar – coconut based sambar made with black eyed beans (also known as cow peas or lobia or chawli or alasande or karamani) and pumpkin (kaddu) from the Karnataka cuisine. You can simply make the sambar with lobia and skip the pumpkin if you want. Instead of pumpkin, you can even add bottle gourd, drumsticks or brinjals or sambar cucumber.
17. Poosanikai sambar – this is a delicious South Indian sambar variety made with yellow pumpkin.
18. Malvani black peas sambar – a traditional Malvani black peas curry recipe also known as kala vatana rassa or kala vatana sambar