collection of 40 coconut recipes – this collection list has indian recipes that have coconut as its main ingredient. it also includes a few recipes that has coconut as one of its ingredient.
coconut is used in many recipes be it curry or stir fry or lentils. generally fresh coconut is used. but if you don’t have fresh coconut then you can also substitute it with desiccated coconut. in some recipes coconut milk is added. coconut milk can be made at home or purchased from outside. in this collection there are some recipes where coconut milk is added. i have shared earlier the method to make coconut milk at home.
i have also included sweets recipes made with both fresh coconut and desiccated coconut. some of the recipes are quick to prepare and can be made in less than 15 to 20 minutes.
both fresh coconut and desiccated coconut can be substituted for each other in most recipes. if using fresh coconut for any sweet in place of desiccated coconut, then you can roast the coconut in a bit of ghee or oil, till the moisture dries. if using desiccated coconut, then for some recipes, you can soak the desiccated coconut in some warm milk or water, till they get some moisture. as i add more coconut based recipes, i will update this collection too.
1. coconut rice recipe – light, tasty and mild south indian coconut rice recipe made with fresh grated coconut. this coconut rice recipe is also known as thengai sadam.
3. coconut milk rice recipe – fragrant, tasty and mild pulao made with mixed veggies and coconut milk.
4. coconut milk rasam recipe – this rasam recipe is made with thick coconut milk, tamarind pulp, rasam powder and spices. there are many varieties of rasam made in the south indian cuisine. coconut milk rasam is one such delicious variety.
6. brinji rice recipe – vegetable brinji is a delicious one pot dish made with spices, coconut milk, rice and mix veggies. the recipes comes from tamil nadu.
8. carrot poriyal recipe – a simple and easy to prepare recipe from the south indian cuisine. no onion no garlic side dish made with carrots, spices and fresh coconut.
9. veg kurma recipe – delicious hotel style vegetable kurma recipe made with mixed veggies and desiccated coconut or fresh coconut.
10. red coconut chutney recipe – a bright red colored kerala style chutney for idli, dosaand uttapams. this is quick to prepare chutney (if you have grated coconut already). the red chilies add some heat and smoky flavor to the chutney. pearl onions also add their flavor and taste to the chutney. for more such recipes you can check this collection 12 coconut chutney recipes.
11. bhindi bhaji recipe – this bhindi nariyal sabzi is a very simple recipe made with minimal ingredients. fresh coconut brings a lot of flavor and taste to this dish.
12. cabbage bhaji recipe – a simple home style sauteed and steamed cabbage sabzi made with minimal ingredients. coconut is added to the bhaji, which makes the overall dish have a faint sweet taste.
13. poricha kuzhambu recipe – poricha kuzhambu is a healthy and delicious mix veggie based lentil gravy made with coconut+spice paste. the lentils used are tuvar dal (pigeon pea lentils). though even moong lentils can be used.
14. veg kuzhambu recipe – spiced and tangy mix vegetable kuzhambu recipe. in this kuzhambu recipe tamarind as well coconut is added to the gravy. its a simple gravy preparation made with mix veggies like brinjals, potatoes, carrots and drumsticks. to make this recipe, you can use a mix of veggies like okra, radish, beans, bottle gourd, cauliflower, pumpkin, yam or colocasia roots.
15. tomato bhaji recipe – easy and simple bhaji or sabzi made with tomatoes, jaggery, peanuts and desiccated coconut. tangy as well as slightly sweet.
16. beetroot sabzi recipe – simple, homely and healthy beetroot bhaji recipe prepared in south indian style. this beetroot bhaji has the sweetness of beetroots and fresh coconut along with some heat coming from the green chilies & dry red chilies. the spices added also contribute their own flavors.
17. pumpkin bhaji recipe – simple, easy and minimally spiced pumpkin sabzi with coconut. makes for a good tiffin box lunch for kids.
18. olan recipe – olan is a delicious curry made with white pumpkin (ash gourd), cowpeas (red lobia or chawli) and coconut milk.
19. parippu curry recipe – a delicious moong dal curry made with coconut and spices. parippu curry is a comforting meal when served with rice. accompany a side veggie thoran, a few pickle and papaddums by the side.
20. kootu curry recipe – koottukari is a thick curry based dish made with a few veggies and legumes. the veggies that are added are yam, ash gourd, carrots, snake gourd, pumpkin or plantains.
21. pasi paruppu payasam recipe – delicious creamy moong dal payasam made with yellow moong lentils, jaggery and coconut milk.
22. kadalai paruppu payasam recipe – a delicious payasam variety made with coconut milk, chana dal, jaggery and cardamom powder. for more such recipes you can check this collection of 30 halwa and payasam recipes.
23. avial recipe – avial also called as aviyal is our favorite recipe made from mix vegetables, coconut and curd. avial is a traditional recipe of kerala and an essential dish of sadya.
24. pumpkin erisseri recipe – a mild and tempered curry with light sweet tones made with pumpkin, cowpeas & coconut. a kerala traditional dish served during onam sadya.
25. pineapple payasam – south indian payasam made with pineapple, coconut milk and jaggery. use pineapple which is sweet and not sour. i always use fresh pineapple for desserts that i make. you can also use canned, but the fresh taste and flavors go very well in a dessert.
coconut sweets recipes:
(coconut ladoo recipes – 5 varieties)
1. coconut ladoo with khoya – a quick, easy and delicious ladoos made with fresh coconut, ghee, sugar and khoya. these coconut ladoos just melt in your mouth. since they are so good, they can be quite addictive.
2. nariyal ladoo recipe – melt in the mouth delicious coconut ladoos made with desiccated coconut. just a three ingredient recipe and one which does not take a lot of time to make.
3. coconut ladoo recipe – three ingredient coconut ladoos made with fresh coconut, condensed milk and cardamom powder.
4. instant coconut ladoo – video recipe of 2 ingredient delicious ladoos that are pretty quick to make. the 2 main ingredients are sweetened condensed milk and desiccated coconut.
5. narkel naru recipe – narkel naru are delicious coconut ladoos from the bengali cuisine. narkel naru can be made with sugar or jaggery. this recipe of narkel naru is made with jaggery. for the jaggery you can use the jaggery made from sugarcane juice or palm jaggery.
(coconut barfi recipes – 3 varieties)
1. 7 cup burfi recipe – easy and delicious south indian sweet that can be made for any festive or religious occasion. 7 cup barfi includes 7 cups or 7 measures of ingredients namely – gram flour (besan), fresh coconut, ghee, milk and sugar. few more sweets which you can make with besan are:
2. coconut barfi with khoya – a delicious, soft barfi made from fresh coconut, khoya, milk, ghee, cardamom powder and sugar. a quick barfi recipe made in less than 30 minutes. few more sweets recipes which you can make with khoya are:
3. coconut burfi recipe (with unsweetened desiccated coconut) – this delicious coconut barfi made with sweetened condensed milk has a melt in the mouth soft texture. you can also make coconut ladoos with the same mixture.
sweet snacks recipes with coconut
1. rava cake recipe – simple, easy one bowl recipe of goan coconut and rava cake. this is one of the simplest and easy cakes that one can prepare. even someone who does not have experience in cooking or baking, can make this cake. this recipe uses fresh coconut, but you can also use desiccated coconut. for more delicious rava recipes you can check this collection of 26 rava recipes.
2. eggless coconut macaroons recipe – quick three ingredient 30 minute recipe (baking time included) of coconut macaroons made without eggs. in the recipe sweetened condensed milk is used as substitute for eggs. few more sweets recipes you can make with condensed milk are:
3. eggless coconut cookies recipe – easy eggless coconut cookies made with whole wheat flour, jaggery and desiccated coconut. these coconut cookies are slightly chewy from outside with a soft texture from within. few more cookies recipes you can make are:
4. karanji recipe – a sweet savory snack often made for festive occasions like diwali and ganesh chaturthi. a well made karanji has an outer crisp & flaky cover. its melt in the mouth with a sweet coconut based stuffing inside. few more recipes which are made during festive occasions are:
5. nevris recipe – deep fried pastries made with whole wheat flour and stuffed with grated coconut, jaggery and dry fruits. nevri is the goan version of the maharashtrian karanji and the north indian gujiya. both karanjis and gujiyas have different fillings and so the taste changes.
1. modak recipe – the traditional maharashtrian recipe of modakm which is offered to lord ganesha on the occasion of ganesh chaturthi festival. ukadiche modak is one of the most popular modak variety made during ganesh chaturthi festival in maharashtra and goa.
2. fried modak – a variation of modak where the modaks are fried rather than steamed. the outer covering of these fried modaks is made from whole wheat flour and hence it is a bit dense as compared to the ones made from all purpose flour (maida).
3. sweet kozhukattai recipe – south indian recipe variation of modaks stuffed with a filling of chana dal, coconut and jaggery. the process and method to make these modaks or kozhukattai is the same as the regular modak. only the stuffing is different.
4. rava modak recipe – modaks made with semolina (rava or sooji) and stuffed with coconut jaggery filling. this easy method of making modak which takes less time, but effort is there. less time, since no steaming or frying is needed.
5. dry fruits modak recipe – modaks made from rice flour and stuffed with mixture of mawa, poppy seeds, coconut and dry fruits.