Coconut curd chutney recipe with step by step photos. This yogurt coconut dip is served with idli, dosa, uttapam or vada. This is another variation of chutney which I often make along with South Indian tiffin breakfast or snacks.
This dip is preferred by my husband because it has his favorite ingredient curd/yogurt in it. The yogurt gives a slightly sour taste to it. While there are many variations of the chutney that you can make with coconut – my personal favorite is this classic coconut chutney that I make very often.
It tastes very good with idli and dosa or uttapam. It can also go well with medu vada and tomato or onion uttapam. But the best combination is with idli, dosa and plain uttapam.
In fact you can make many varieties of chutney to along with your favorite South Indian snacks. It also depends upon your taste.
I served this coconut curd chutney with foxtail millet dosa and the combo was good.
How to make coconut curd chutney
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the chutney.
2. In a bowl first whisk 4 tablespoons curd (yogurt) till smooth.
3. Take ½ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen) in a blender.
4. Next add 4 tablespoons roasted chana dal, ½ inch chopped ginger and 1 to 2 green chilies.
5. Also add salt as required and 5 to 6 tablespoons water in the chutney grinder. You can’t see the water as it has gone beneath.
6. Grind till the whole chutney mixture is smooth.
7. Mix the chutney with the whisked curd (yogurt).
8. Stir and mix well.
9. Keep all the ingredients ready for the tempering of chutney.
10. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small pan. First crackle 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
11. Then add 1 to 2 dry red chilies, 10 to 12 curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
12. Fry for some seconds till the curry leaves start to become crisp. Make sure the red chilies don’t burn.
13. Pour the tempering into the chutney.
14. Stir and mix well.
More Chutney recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Coconut Curd Chutney (Yogurt Coconut Dip)
- ½ cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 4 tablespoon roasted chana dal (roasted husked bengal gram)
- 4 tablespoon Curd (yogurt)
- ½ inch ginger - chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies - depending on the heat in the chilies you can alter the quantity
- 5 to 6 tablespoon water for grinding the chutney
- salt as required
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 to 2 dry red chilies
- 1 tablespoon oil
- In a bowl first whisk the yogurt till smooth.
- Take the coconut, roasted chana dal, ginger, green chili, salt and water in a chutney grinder. Grind till the whole chutney mixture is smooth.
- Mix the chutney with the whisked yogurt.
- Heat oil in a small pan. First crackle the mustard seeds.
- Then add the red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida (hing).
- Fry for some seconds till the curry leaves start to become crisp. Make sure the red chilies don't burn.
- Pour the tempering into the chutney and stir.
- Serve it immediately with idli, dosa, uttapam or medu vada.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.