Cabbage bhaji recipe with step by step photos – this cabbage bhaji or sabzi is a simple home style sauteed and steamed cabbage dish made with minimal ingredients. A vegan recipe.
Coconut is added to the bhaji, which makes the overall dish have a faint sweet taste. The subtle sweetness of the cabbage also adds on to the overall flavor in this dish. Green chilies are added to give a bit of heat.
This is a no onion no garlic recipe. I have used asafoetida here to mimic the flavor of garlic. Though you can add 3 to 4 garlic cloves (either lightly crushed or chopped) instead of asafoetida.
Few more Cabbage recipes are:
I make this cabbage bhaji as a side dish with chapatis or as a side dish with sambar rice. The recipe can also be packed in a tiffin box with some soft rotis or chapatis. It even tastes good with bread or buns.
How to make cabbage bhaji
1. Rinse 300 grams cabbage. Remove the outer skin if bruised. Then shred or chop 250 grams cabbage. 300 grams cabbage gives about 4 cups of shredded or chopped cabbage. Also, chop 1 green chili. Keep aside.
tip – before shredding the cabbage, you can also rinse and then halve or quarter the cabbage and blanch in hot water for about 5 minutes. This gets rids of any worms or insects if they’re in the cabbage.
2. heat 2.5 tablespoon oil in a shallow pan or kadai. Then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and let them splutter.
3. Next add 12 to 15 curry leaves, 1 green chili (chopped) and a pinch of asafoetida. Stir and mix well.
4. Now add the shredded or chopped cabbage.
5. Season with salt as per taste.
6. Mix the salt very well with the cabbage.
7. Keep a rimmed lid on top of the pan. Pour water on the lid. The water in the lid, creates steam in the pan and helps in cooking the cabbage. Cook the cabbage on a sim or a low flame. Alternatively, you can add some water (about ¼ to ⅓ cup) in the pan. Cover with a lid and cook the cabbage. If the water dries up whilst cooking and the cabbage is not cooked, then you can add some more water. In case the water dries.
8. Do check the cabbage after every 5 to 6 minutes, by carefully removing the lid. In case the water dries on the lid, then add some more water and continue cooking the cabbage. If you see the cabbage getting browned, then sprinkle some water in the pan. Usually, the cabbage does not get browned. But depending on the type and quality of pan, the cabbage can get browned.
9. On a low flame, steam till the cabbage is softened and cooked well.
10. When done, then add ¼ cup grated coconut. The cabbage bhaji should be dry when you add coconut. Instead of grated coconut, you can also add ¼ cup desiccated coconut powder.
11. Mix well and saute for a minute.
12. Switch off the flame. Lastly, add 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves. Again mix.
12. Serve cabbage bhaji with chapatis or a side dish with any dal-rice or sambar-rice.
Few more tasty recipes
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 2.5 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 12 to 15 curry leaves
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 4 cups chopped cabbage (patta gobi) or 300 grams cabbage - shredded or chopped
- salt as required
- ¼ cup tightly packed grated coconut or desiccated coconut powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Rinse and then slice or shred or chop 300 grams cabbage. Also chop 1 green chili. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a shallow kadai or a shallow frying pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Then add curry leaves, chopped green chilies and a pinch of asafoetida. Stir and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a rimmed lid. Pour water on the lid. The water in the lid, creates steam in the pan and helps in cooking the cabbage. Steam cook on sim or a low flame.
- Do check the cabbage after every 5 to 6 minutes, by carefully removing the lid. In case the water dries on the lid, then add some more water and continue cooking the cabbage.
- If you see the cabbage getting browned, then sprinkle some water in the pan. Usually the cabbage does not get browned. But depending on the type and quality of pan, the cabbage can get browned.
- When the cabbage is cooked well, then add 1/4 cup grated coconut. Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Switch off the flame. Lastly add 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Serve cabbage bhaji with chapatis or a side dish with any dal-rice or sambar-rice.