vegetable stew recipe with step by step photos – easy to make lightly spiced, delicate and aromatic stew with mixed vegetables, coconut milk and spices. a popular stew from the kerala cuisine.
on some days when i don’t make dosa, i end up making our favorite breakfast appam and kerala style vegetable stew.
usually i always have carrots, beans, potatoes and peas at home. so these veggies end up being in the veg stew. when i have to make the stew, i prepare coconut milk a day before and keep in the fridge. sometimes to make things easy, i use dabur’s coconut milk which is easily available in india. dabur’s coconut milk works well as a substitute for thick coconut milk. you can also use any other good brand of ready coconut milk as a substitute for thick coconut milk.
kerala vegetable stew is so easy to prepare. you just need to temper and cook the veggies. if you cannot have it with appams, then just serve the stew with steamed rice. i have used thin coconut milk to cook the vegetables. if you don’t have thin coconut milk, then cook the vegetables in water instead. you can also check this potato stew recipe.
the stew is flavored with warm aromatic spices tempered in coconut oil. what you get are tender cooked vegetables in a delicate, spiced, light, aromatic stew with the flavor and taste of the coconut milk.
if you are looking for more curry recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR vegetable stew
- 2 small to medium sized carrots, peeled chopped
- 2 potatoes OR 1 large potato OR about 150 grams potato, peeled and chopped
- ¾ or 1 cup peas (matar)
- 70 to 80 grams french beans
- 1 large onion OR 5-6 shallots - thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 garlic - crushed into a paste in a mortar-pestle
- 1 inch ginger, julienned (adrak)
- 2 to 3 green chilies, slit (hari mirch)
- 1.5 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 4 to 5 cloves - crushed or kept whole (lavang)
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder)
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi) - crushed or kept whole (optional)
- 2.5 cups thin coconut milk or water * check notes for pressure cooking the veggies with water
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 12 to 15 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- salt as required
- sugar as required (optional)
HOW TO MAKE vegetable stew
- heat coconut oil. add the whole & crushed spices - cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, black pepper. saute them till fragrant.
- then add the ginger, garlic, green chilies, sliced onions and curry leaves. saute till the onions become translucent. don't brown the onions.
- add the chopped veggies and stir well.
- add thin coconut milk or water. cover the pan and cook the veggies.
- the veggies should be cooked till they are tender and done.
- lastly add the thick coconut milk. stir well and simmer for just half a minute.
- if you want, you can also heat a few teaspoons of oil and fry curry leaves in it till crisp. then add this curry leaves tempering from top before serving the vegetable stew.
- serve kerala style vegetable stew with appams or steamed rice.
how to make vegetable stew recipe
1. heat coconut oil. add the whole & crushed spices – cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and black pepper. fry them till fragrant. then add the ginger, garlic, green chilies, sliced onions and curry leaves. saute till the onions become translucent. don’t brown the onions.
2. add the chopped veggies and stir well.
3. add thin coconut milk or water. cover the pan and cook the veggies.
4. the veggies should be cooked till they are tender and done.
5. add the thick coconut milk. stir well and simmer for just half a minute.
6. serve kerala vegetable stew with appams or steamed rice.