this bhindi nariyal sabzi is a very simple recipe made with minimal ingredients. fresh coconut brings a lot of flavor and taste to this dish. basically the curry is a another variation of the goan style bhindi sabzi. this is how my mother makes the recipe at home. few more easy bhindi recipes which you can make at home are:
this is a dry bhindi curry and you can have it with chapati, parathas or bhakri and even bread. it can also be served as a side vegetable dish with dal-rice or sambar-rice. i served this bhindi sabzi with jowar bhakri (sorghum flour flat breads).
in this bhindi bhaji recipe, i have used kokum as a souring agent. if you don’t have kokum then you can use lemon juice or dry mango powder instead. measurements given below in the recipe details.
if you are looking for more bhindi recipes then do check:
bhindi bhaji recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR bhindi bhaji recipe
- 250 to 300 grams bhindi - rinsed and chopped into ¼ or ½ inch round slices (okra or lady finger)
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 to 3 kokum OR ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) OR ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
HOW TO MAKE bhindi bhaji recipe
- heat oil. saute the onions first till transparent.
- add the green chilies and saute for a minute.
- add the turmeric powder and stir.
- add the bhindi (okra) along with the kokum & salt. stir well.
- place a lid with a rim on top of the pan. pour water on the lid.
- on a low flame, steam the bhindi till they are cooked.
- in between keep on checking and stirring the bhindi.
- when the bhindi is cooked, add grated coconut.
- stir and cook for a minute.
- garnish bhindi bhaji with coriander leaves.
- serve bhindi bhaji with chapatis or with dal-rice or sambar-rice.
- if you don't have kokum, then you can either add ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) OR ½ teaspoon lemon juice.
preparation for bhindi bhaji recipe
1. rinse the bhindi (okra) 2 to 3 times under running water.
2. spread the bhindi on a kitchen towel. wipe them well with the kitchen towel.
3. slice the bhindi into ¼ to ½ inch round slices.
4. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making bhindi bhaji.
how to make bhindi bhaji
5. in a kadai or pan, heat 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of oil. add 1 medium size finely chopped onion.
6. stir and mix well.
7. saute the onions till transparent.
8. add 1 chopped green chili.
9. saute for a minute.
10. next add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi).
11. stir and mix well.
12. add 250 to 300 grams of chopped bhindi (okra).
13. also add 2 to 3 kokums. if you don’t have kokum, then you can either add ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) OR ½ teaspoon lemon juice.
14. mix well.
15. lastly add salt as required.
16. stir well.
17. place a lid with a rim on top of the pan. pour water on the lid.
18. on a low flame, steam the bhindi till they are cooked.
19. in between keep on checking and stirring the bhindi.
20. when the bhindi is cooked, add ¼ cup of fresh grated coconut.
21. stir and cook for a minute.
22. garnish bhindi bhaji with few chopped coriander leaves.
serve bhindi bhaji with chapatis or with dal-rice or sambar-rice.