Collection of 26 delicious recipes you can make with jaggery. Jaggery is a sweetener widely used in Indian cuisine. jaggery is made from concentrating sugar cane juice, where the sugar cane juice is cooked slowly in large iron pans till it thickens. Then its allowed to cool and solidify. Thus jaggery is also unrefined.
Jaggery is always a better alternative than refined sugar. Its always best to use better alternatives to white sugar like jaggery, coconut sugar, palm jaggery, maple syrup, jaggery syrup, palm sugar, unrefined cane sugar, golden sugar, evaporated sugar cane juice or molasses or honey as a sweetener in the recipes.
I do not use refined sugar (white sugar) at home. I use unrefined cane sugar. Even in baking goods, I powder unrefined cane sugar and then add. Occasionally I also use demerara sugar and brown sugar in baking.
In some recipes where I can substitute jaggery easily, I add it in place of unrefined cane sugar. In drinks and Beverages, I add both unrefined cane sugar and evaporated sugar cane juice at times.
For healthy eating practices we should always try to opt for better alternatives if available or possible. E.g. Wherever possible I try to replace all purpose flour (maida) with whole wheat flour (atta). Some recipes like these are shared in this Collection of whole wheat recipes.
This collection of jaggery recipes has snacks and sweets made from regular jaggery as well as palm jaggery.
Collection of 26 delicious jaggery recipes:
1. Jaggery roti – an easy to prepare tasty sweet roti variety made with jaggery and whole wheat flour. You can make these sweet (meethi) rotis for breakfast or even as an evening snack or after school snack for kids.
2. Til ke ladoo – A healthy, delicious, and nutty laddu prepared with white sesame seeds, jaggery, peanuts, and desiccated coconut. A vegan recipe and also a Makar Sankranti festival special sweet. These sesame seeds ladoo make for a good warming sweet snack for the winters.
3. Unniyappam recipe – sweet fritters made with rice, banana, a few spices and coconut. Unniyappam is one of those special sweets snacks from Kerala and are also served in the Onam sadya. They are also offered as prasad in some temples in Kerala.
4. Peanut ladoo – This is an easy and tasty 2 ingredient recipe of ladoos made with jaggery and roasted peanuts. These peanut ladoos stay good for about a week at room temperature and for 15 to 20 days in the fridge. You can serve these ladoos plain or even serve them as a sweet snack in the tiffin box.
5. Jaggery rice – a delicious sweet rice dish made with jaggery, rice and spices. The recipe is easy to make and tastes too good. This recipe is specially loved by kids or people who have a sweet tooth.
7. Ragi ladoo – quick, easy and tasty ragi ladoo made with 3 ingredients – ragi, jaggery and ghee. Ragi is a very good source of calcium. Ragi is easily digestible and very nutritious. Few more healthy recipes you can make with ragi are:
8. Wheat appam – quick sweet appams made with whole wheat flour, bananas and jaggery. these appams make for a nice evening snack. They stay for a week in the fridge.
9. Nolen gurer payesh recipe – a delicious rice kheer made with date palm jaggery and rice. Nolen gurer payesh recipe is a winter delicacy as fresh date palm jaggery arrives in the markets in winters in west bengal.
10. Badam ladoo – quick, easy and tasty ladoos made with almonds, jaggery and raisins. Badam ladoos make for a healthy sweet snack. Another very popular South Indian sweet made with badam is this Badam halwa recipe.
11. Banana pancake – healthy and tasty pancakes made with over ripe bananas, whole wheat flour and jaggery. Its an easy as well as quick recipe for making eggless banana pancakes.
12. Pasi paruppu payasam – delicious creamy moong dal payasam made with yellow moong lentils, jaggery and coconut milk.
13. Til gud ke ladoo recipe – easy and healthy recipe of delicious ladoos made with sesame seeds, desiccated coconut, peanuts and jaggery. a very easy recipe and within half an hour the ladoos will be ready. these ladoos do help in keeping the body warm during cold seasons.
14. Kadalai paruppu payasam – this chana dal payasam is a delicious payasam variety made with coconut milk, chana dal, jaggery and cardamom powder.
15. Banana appam – sweet appams or paniyarams made with ripe bananas, rice flour and jaggery. these banana appams make for a healthy sweet snack. i used over ripe bananas to make these. Though you can even use ripe bananas. Few more delicious recipes you can make with Bananas are:
16. Pori urundai – a crunchy, crisp, light, delicious, easy ladoo recipe which gets ready in minutes made with puffed rice. For this recipe, you can also use puffed flattened rice (puffed poha) instead of puffed rice. They are also known as murmura ladoo or puri unde.
17. Strawberry jam recipe – this is an easy and delicious strawberry jam recipe made without preservatives. The jam is sweetened with jaggery instead of sugar. the jam stays good for about 2 months in the refrigerator.
18. Peanut chikki recipe – chikkis are very popular with kids and they are specially made and enjoyed during winter season. This peanut chikki is an easy recipe with just two main ingredients.
20. Patholi recipe – These are steamed rice rolls that are stuffed with fresh coconut and jaggery mixture. these rolls are steamed in fresh turmeric leaves.
The patholi tastes similar to Modak except for the turmeric leaves aroma. thin & soft steamed rice cover stuffed with the heavenly coconut and melted jaggery infused with the aroma of cardamom and not to forget the turmeric leaves.
21. Fig jam – this delicious jam is made with fresh figs and powdered jaggery. The jam is made without any artificial preservatives or additives. I have not even added pectin to the jam.
22. Pineapple payasam – South Indian payasam made with pineapple, coconut milk and jaggery. use pineapple which is sweet and not sour. I always use fresh pineapple for desserts that I make. You can also use canned, but the fresh taste and flavors go very well in a dessert.
23. Goan nevris recipe – These are deep fried pastries made with whole wheat flour and stuffed with grated coconut, jaggery and dry fruits. Nevri is the Goan version of the Maharashtrian karanji and the North Indian gujiya.
24. Sattu ladoo – quick and easy ladoos made from roasted chana flour, jaggery and ghee. these sattu ladoos are a healthy option for everyone in the family. Other delicious recipes you can make with sattu are:
25. Orange cake – Sweet, soft, moist, and tasty cake made with fresh orange juice. This recipe is easy to follow, a bit healthy and includes whole wheat flour. A lovely eggless orange cake that is suitable for both vegetarians and vegans alike!
26. Sweet Pongal – a sweet festive dish made with rice and mung lentils, flavored with cardamoms, dry fruits and ghee. sweet Pongal is also known as sakkarai Pongal in Tamil language and is a sweet dish made during festive occasions in South India. Few more Pongal varieties on the blog are:
This Jaggery Recipes Collection from the blog archives first published in January 2018 has been republished and updated on 5 Jun 2022.