Ragi kheer recipe with step by step photos. A simple, quick dessert made from ragi flour (finger millet flour or nachni), milk, sugar, cardamom powder and ghee.
Sharing one more recipe of ragi. This recipe of ragi kheer is easy and can be made in less than 30 minutes. You can even skip adding dry fruits if you want. Also adding saffron is optional.
Ragi kheer makes for a nutritious dessert for kids. You can serve it for breakfast or as an after meal dessert.
While making the ragi kheer, one has to be careful as lumps should not form. So to avoid the lumps in the kheer, hot milk needs to be added initially in batches, stirring very well to get a lump free kheer. If you add milk at room temperature, then lumps can form.
Ragi is a healthy millet and very good for kids and women as its rich in calcium and iron. So do try to include ragi in your meals.
If you are looking for more Kheer recipes then do check:
How to make ragi kheer recipe
1. Firstly heat 1.5 cups of milk in a thick bottomed pan till it comes to a boil.
2. Then in another thick bottomed pan or kadai, heat one tablespoon of ghee.
3. Reduce the flame to a low. Add 1.5 tablespoons ragi flour.
4. Saute and stir continuously. Soon the ragi flour will become aromatic. It takes about 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame. Stir continuously so that the ragi flour gets roasted well.
5. Now pour 2 tablespoons of hot milk. We have overall used 1.5 cups of hot milk for the kheer, but the hot milk needs to be added first in small batches.
After adding 2 tablespoons of hot milk, keep continuously stirring so the ragi flour combines well in the milk, the mixture should be smooth and lump free.
6. Then add more 2 tablespoons of hot milk. Continuously keep stirring while adding the milk. Ensure that there are no lumps formed. We need a smooth mixture for the kheer.
7. Now pour the rest of the hot milk and mix very well.
8. Next add ¼ cup of sugar and stir well.
9. Add 5 to 6 finely chopped cashews, 2 to 3 finely chopped pistachios and 2 to 3 finely chopped almonds. You can add more or less dry fruits as per your preference.
10. Sprinkle ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder.
11. Add 6 to 7 saffron strands.
12. Mix well and simmer for 2 to 3 mins on low flame.
13. You will see the kheer thickening.
14. The kheer will also start bubbling and rising. Keep stirring the kheer.
15. The kheer has to be of medium consistency. After 1 to 2 mins switch off the flame.
Serve ragi kheer hot or warm or chilled as a dessert or for breakfast. Do note that on cooling, the kheer will become thick. Once the kheer has come to a room temperature, then refrigerate.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1.5 tablespoons ragi flour (nachni or finger millet or red millet flour)
- 1.5 cups hot milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 5 to 6 cashews – whole or chopped
- 2 to 3 pistachios – sliced or chopped finely
- 2 to 3 almonds – sliced or chopped finely
- 5 to 6 strands of saffron – optional
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Firstly heat 1.5 cups of milk in a thick bottomed pan until it comes to a boil.
- Keep the hot milk aside.
Roasting ragi flour
- Then in another thick bottomed pan or kadai, heat one tablespoon of ghee.
- Reduce the flame. Add 1.5 tablespoons ragi flour.
- Roast and stir continuously. Soon the ragi flour will release its aroma. It takes about 2 to 3 minutes on low heat. Stir continuously so that the ragi flour gets roasted well.
- Now add 2 tablespoons of hot milk. Overall we will be adding 1.5 cups of hot milk but the milk needs to be added in small batches so that you do not get lumps in the kheer.
- After adding 2 tablespoons of hot milk, keep continuously stirring so the ragi flour combines well in the milk, the mixture should be smooth and lump free.
- Now add more 2 tablespoons of hot milk, continuously keep stirring. Ensure that there are no lumps formed. We need a smooth mixture for the kheer. Now pour the rest of hot milk and stir well.
- Add ¼ cup of sugar and mix well.
- Add chopped cashews, pistachios and almonds.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder. Add 6 to 7 saffron strands.
Making ragi kheer
- Mix well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on low flame. You will see the ragi kheer thickening.
- The kheer will start bubbling & rising. Keep stirring the kheer.
- The kheer has to be of medium consistency. After 1 to 2 minutes switch off the heat.
- You can serve ragi kheer hot or warm or chilled as a dessert or for breakfast.
- Garnish with sliced or chopped almonds, cashews or pistachios or a few saffron strands while serving.
- Do note that on cooling, ragi kheer will become thick. When the kheer has come to a room temperature, then refrigerate it.
- You can also refrigerate any leftovers. On cooling ragi kheer will thicken.
- Before serving, mix a bit of milk to dilute the thick consistency and warm or heat the milk in a small pan.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later