Ragi halwa recipe With step by step photos. Ragi halwa is a sweet dessert made from ragi flour (finger millet flour), milk, ghee, sugar and cardamom powder.
Since many of you have asked me to add ragi recipes, I am adding them one by one. Ragi is a wonder millet grain and is also known as nachni or red millet. nachni has great benefits as its loaded with calcium and rich in minerals. In India ragi is consumed in the form of ragi mudde, Ragi ladoo, Ragi kheer, ragi dosa, ragi idli, ragi roti etc.
I am sharing here the way I learnt to make ragi halwa from my mom. Here I have used used milk and ghee to prepare this halwa. Ghee gives a lovely aroma and flavor. Milk gives a good taste. Ragi halwa is a healthy sweet for toddlers and kids. I have added some dry fruits too, but they are optional and you can skip them.
You could make ragi halwa as a dessert and even for a sweet breakfast.
If you are looking for more Halwa Recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
for ragi halwa
- ½ cup ragi (nachni flour or finger millet flour). i used organic ragi flour
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup hot milk
- ¼ cup sugar, i used organic sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
for garnishing ragi halwa
- 6 to 7 almonds - slivered or chopped finely
- 6 to 7 pistachios - slivered or chopped finely
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Then add 1/2 cup ragi flour.
- Keep stirring the flour for 3 to 4 mins on low heat. The mixture will bubble
- When the mixture starts bubbling, add 1/4 cup sugar.
- Stir very well.
- Then add 1 cup of hot milk. The milk has to be hot. So heat the milk separately in another pan.
- Continue stirring the ragi halwa, till it starts thickening.
- Soon the mixture will start leaving the edges of the pan. Now sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the ragi halwa to a serving dish.
- As the ragi halwa cools, it will thicken more. Garnish with chopped dry fruits.
- Serve ragi halwa warm or at room temperature.
2. You can also add jaggery instead of sugar. Add jaggery as required.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
How to make ragi halwa recipe
1. Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons ghee in a pan.
2. Then add ½ cup ragi flour (nachni flour or finger millet flour).
3. Keep stirring the flour for 3 to 4 mins on low flame.
4. The mixture will begin to bubble.
5. When the mixture starts bubbling, add ¼ cup sugar.
6. Stir and mix the sugar very well with the ragi mixture.
7. Now add 1 cup of hot milk. The milk has to be hot before you add. So heat the milk separately in a small pan till it becomes hot.
8. When you add the milk, stir also at the same time. Keep on stirring while adding milk. Continue to stir even after all the milk has been added. Continue stirring the ragi halwa, till it starts thickening.
9. Soon the mixture will start leaving the edges of the pan. Now add ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder. Mix well.
10. Switch off the flame and transfer the ragi halwa to a serving dish. As the halwa cools it will thicken more.
11. Garnish with chopped dry fruits. Serve ragi halwa warm or chilled.