carrot payasam or carrot kheer is an easy sweet dessert recipe you can make for any occasion or whenever you want to pamper yourself. generally kheer recipes are made during festive occasions. however, that should not be the case especially as far as this carrot payasam is concerned.
in the current times, we put a lot of stress on our eyes. watching television or reading books or surfing social media sites… all the time, our eyes are working and that puts a strain on them. to keep our eyes healthy we need to have vitamin A in our diet and we all know carrots are very good source of vitamin A.
since my work involves staring at the computer for long hours, i do include a lot of carrots in our diet. the other fruit that we regularly have is papaya which is again very rich in vitamin A. apart from having carrots plain or in salads, i make carrot halwa and keep in the fridge… so that we can have it anytime as a light dessert.
you don’t have to wait for any special or festive occasion to make this carrot kheer… and if you are planning to make a payasam or kheer for festive or fasting occasions, then do make payasams or halwa with fruits or veggies like this carrot payasam and apple halwa, lauki halwa (opo squash halwa). the above recipes are also good for children or folks who refuse to eat carrots or veggies.
in this carrot payasam recipe, i have cooked the carrots first and blended them to a puree. so you get a creamy and smooth payasam. i have used coconut milk to make this carrot payasam. you can easily make with dairy milk. you can also make the payasam with sugar. i have used jaggery to make the payasam.
if you are looking for more sweet recipes then i recommend you to check:
carrot payasam recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR carrot payasam recipe
- 3 medium to large carrots (gajar), peeled and chopped roughly
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi), powdered and crushed or ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 cup thin coconut milk
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- ½ to ¾ cup powdered or grated jaggery or as required (depending on the sweetness of the carrots)
- ½ cup water for dissolving the powdered jaggery
- a handful of cashews (kaju), halved or whole
- a handful of raisins (kishmish)
- 1 pinch rock salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil or ghee
HOW TO MAKE carrot payasam recipe
- boil the carrots in enough water till they become soft and completely cooked.
- stir jaggery in 1/2 cup water and mix till the jaggery is dissolved.
- if there are impurities, then strain the jaggery solution.
- when the carrots are warm or cooled, blend them adding 1/4 cup water in a blender.
- mix the carrot puree, thin coconut milk, jaggery solution, salt in a pot or kadai and keep on low flame.
- gently heat through and occasionally stir.
- don't bring the mixture to a boil.
- just let it get heated.
- when you see steam vapours floating on top above the payasam, switch off the fire.
- stir in the thick coconut milk.
- in a small pan, heat oil or ghee.
- first add the cashews and when they start to change color, add the raisins and cardamom powder.
- on a low flame, fry the cashew till they turn light golden or golden and the raisins swell and become golden.
- pour this whole mixture into the carrot kheer and stir.
- serve the carrot payasam hot or warm or cold.