eggless banana cake recipe with video and step by step photos – a one bowl cake recipe of delicious banana cake which is eggless as well as vegan. a quick and easy recipe which gives light, soft and moist cake.
this banana cake recipe has been adapted from my very popular tried and tested banana bread recipe. i have just increased the proportion of oil and a bit of bananas in this recipe to make it more lighter and soft. also reduced the amount of baking powder and added some chopped walnuts.
not to forget the cake is made with whole wheat flour. i always try to include whole wheat flour wherever possible. few baked recipes made with whole wheat flour are:
this eggless banana cake was liked by everyone in the family and more so by my brother in law. banana cake has been his favorite cake since childhood. he said its one of the best banana cakes that he has had and it reminded him of the banana cakes that were made in vienna bakery in santacruz, mumbai.
so if you have some ripe bananas at home then you can easily make this delicious cake. some more banana recipes you can make are:
the banana cake can be served plain as it is. you can also serve the cake slices with some whipped cream or if you want, frost the cake with butter or cream icing. a chocolate icing would also go very well. at home we prefer it plain to go with the evening cup of tea or filter coffee or as a sweet dessert snack.
eggless banana cake recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 4 medium to large ripe or over ripe bananas - 300 grams OR 10.50 ounce bananas
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour (atta) OR 180 grams whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup regular sugar OR organic unrefined cane sugar Or 100 grams sugar
- ⅔ cup any neutral flavored oil (i used sunflower oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 halved walnuts, chopped or any dry fruits of your choice (optional)
how to make eggless banana cake recipe
preparation for eggless banana cake
- preheat your oven at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F. if using a regular oven, heat both the top and bottom elements. for a microwave convection oven, just preheat the oven.
making banana cake batter
- peel and chop the bananas. add them to a bowl and mash them with a fork. you can also use a blender to mash the bananas.
- add sugar, oil and vanilla extract.
- stir very well so that the oil mixes with the banana puree and the sugar dissolves.
- sieve whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt directly in the bowl. you can also sieve these separately and then add them to the wet ingredients.
- fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients very well.
- add the chopped walnuts and fold again. apart from walnuts, you can also add raisins, pistachios or any dry fruits of your choice. chocolate chips or cacao nibs can also be added.
- pour the batter in a greased or lined loaf pan ( 7.5 x 4 x 2.5 inches) or round cake pan (7.5 x 2 inches).
baking banana cake
- gently tap and shake the pan. place the pan in the center rack if using a regular oven or OTG.
bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F for 45 to 50 mins or till tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
if the top of the cake starts browning then cover the top with an aluminium foil or butter paper. * check notes
- when warm or cooled, slice and serve banana cake plain with tea or coffee.
- depending on the temperature in your oven and the size of your pan, the cake might take less or more time than mentioned here. the temperature varies from oven to oven. so take your call and keep an eye. the benchmark is that a tooth pick inserted in the banana cake should come out clean.
- use a neutral flavored oil like sunflower oil. i have also made this cake with olive oil and coconut oil.
- instead of oil you can use butter. melt the butter and use as the same proportion of oil.
- chocolate chips or cocoa powder or cacao nibs can also be added.
- if you like spiced cakes, you can also add about ⅛ tsp of cinnamon or nutmeg powder in the cake.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - eggless banana cake recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make banana cake
1. take ripe or over ripe bananas. i have used here over ripe bananas. mash the bananas with a fork to a smooth consistency. there should be no chunks. you can also use a blender to mash the bananas.
2. add sugar, oil and vanilla extract.
3. stir very well so that the oil mixes with the banana puree and the sugar dissolves.
4. sieve whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt directly in the bowl.
5. fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients very well. fold using the cut and fold method. do not mix. in case the batter looks very thick, then you can add some water. the amount of water to be added depends on the quality and texture of the whole wheat flour and also on the consistency of the batter. so add only if the batter looks very thick.
6. add the chopped walnuts and fold again. apart from walnuts, you can also add raisins, pistachios or any dry fruits of your choice. chocolate chips or cocoa powder or cacao nibs can also be added. if you like spiced cakes, you can also add about ⅛ tsp of cinnamon or nutmeg powder in the cake.
7. pour the batter in a greased or lined loaf pan ( 7.5 x 4 x 2.5 inches) or round cake pan (7.5 x 2 inches).
8. bake banana cake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or till tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean. the timing varies from oven to oven. please check notes above in the recipe card for more details. the orange yellowish color is due to incandescent lighting in my kitchen.
9. when warm or cooled, slice and serve eggless banana cake plain with tea or coffee.