banana bread recipe – eggless and vegan recipe with step by step photos – so far this is the best banana bread that i have made. after i posted this recipe, it was tried and tested successfully by many readers.
banana bread is an all time favorite and i often make this bread with over ripe bananas. since this is one of the most popular bread recipe on the blog, i have updated this post with step by step pics. based on this recipe, i have also made eggless banana cake and eggless banana muffins recipe.
ever since i starting getting requests to make an eggless version of banana bread, i tried many times to make the best eggless banana bread. at least 6 times 🙂
i made eggless versions as well vegan versions and somehow i was never satisfied with the texture of the breads. more so since i was using whole wheat flour.
since i have had the banana bread made with eggs before, i know the texture and taste of breads & cakes made with eggs. i have been having regular cakes and pastries made with eggs till last year until i stopped adding them to my bakes.
making an eggless or vegan cake or a bread is a challenge always, as one wants the best texture and taste in the bread.
i added vinegar, buttermilk, cornflour and what not and never came to that perfect bread. most of the times the bread would be dry and not even moist. it would not be soft but a bit dense. and also crumbly at times.
so one day finally, i decided that i will make the banana bread without using any of these ingredients and with what is easily available in my kitchen. i thought that if pureed banana is used as an egg substitute in cakes, than why do i need to add some other egg substitute to a banana bread? so i decided only to add bananas – a little extra and see the results.
the result was moist, light and soft banana bread. so in this vegan banana bread recipe, the two ingredients which contributes majorly to the texture of the banana bread is of course bananas and oil.
i have not added any other ingredient besides the usual bread ingredients in this banana bread. i had flax seed but still i wanted to make a bread without flax seed powder as many of us do not have these readily available in their kitchens.
so this is by far the best banana bread that i have made without eggs and this recipe is for keeps. one of my baking success recipe. the bread was light, soft, moist and perfect for a vegan and egg free banana bread. few more eggless recipes on blog which are popular with readers are:
- chocolate cake in pressure cooker
- vanilla cake
- black forest cake
- whole wheat cake
- eggless choco lava cake
- pressure cooker cake recipe.
i have added sunflower seeds in the bread to make it more nutritious but you can easily skip adding them. i have made the bread with organic whole wheat flour, but if you want you can make the bread with all purpose flour or half-half of both the flours.
i have also made a quick video on the eggless banana bread recipe. since many readers have asked me the method of folding, i have slightly slowed down in the clip, while editing the folding step.
eggless banana video (2.29 minutes video)
vegan banana bread recipe below:
banana bread recipe without eggs - delicious, light and soft vegan banana bread recipe.
- 4 medium sized ripe bananas OR over ripe bananas OR 300 grams ripe bananas OR 10.5 ounce ripe bananas
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour (atta) OR 180 grams whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut oil OR sunflower oil OR any vegetable oil OR 125 ml coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar OR unrefined cane sugar OR regular granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder OR 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (dalchini powder) - optional
- 2 to 3 pinches nutmeg powder OR ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder) - optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoon sunflower seeds - optional
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt - optional
- preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius.
- grease a bread tin or a rectangular cake pan with some coconut oil. you can use the rectangular cake pan of size ( 7.5 x 4 x 2.5 inches) or round cake pan (7.5 x 2 inches).
- take sliced bananas and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- mash the bananas well or puree them with a hand blender.
- now add the oil, vanilla, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder to the banana and mix well.
- sieve the flour with the baking soda, baking powder, salt directly in the bowl containing the mashed bananas.
- fold the sieved flour really well.
- this folding step is important as you want the whole bread mixture to be one and mixed evenly.
- lastly add the sunflower seeds and fold these.
- pour the bread mixture into the loaf pan.
- bake at 180 degree C for 30-40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean.
the timing varies from oven to oven. depending on the temperature in your oven and the size of your pan, the cake might take less or more time than mentioned here.
so take your call and keep an eye on the bread. however don't open the oven untill the bread is ¾th done.
the benchmark is that a tooth pick inserted in the bread should come out clean.
when the bread cools down, remove the banana bread from the pan.
- slice and serve banana bread warm.
the remaining banana loaf, you can wrap in a cling film or keep in a box in the fridge. warm the banana bread before serving.
tips for making eggless banana bread recipe:
- if coconut oil is added to the bread, it solidifies when refrigerated, hence the bread also becomes dense when you refrigerate it. so before serving just warm up the bread and the bread will have its natural texture back.
- sweetness of the bread can be adjusted as per your preferences.
this approximate nutrition info is for 1 slice of banana bread:
step by step eggless banana bread recipe:
1. first preheat oven at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F. then take ripe or over ripe 3 to 4 medium to large sized or 2 large bananas. in weight the measure is 300 grams or 10.5 ounce. slice the bananas and add them to a mixing bowl.
2. add ½ cup sugar. you can use brown sugar, organic unrefined cane sugar or granulated white sugar. all work well in this recipe. depending on the sweetness of bananas, you can reduce the sugar to ⅓ cup.
3. then mash the bananas with a masher or fork to a smooth consistency.
4. there should be no chunks. you can also use a blender to mash the bananas. fine threads of the bananas are fine.
5. add ½ cup oil (125 ml). you can use any oil. i have made this bread on various occasions with coconut oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, rice bran oil and even olive oil.
6. stir very well so that the oil mixes evenly with the banana puree.
7. add ¼ tsp cinnamon powder, 2 to 3 pinches or ⅛ tsp of nutmeg powder and ½ tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract. both cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder are optional.
8. mix the flavoring spices and vanilla with the banana oil mixture.
9. sieve 1½ cups whole wheat flour (180 grams), ½ tsp baking soda, 1½ tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt (optional) directly in the bowl.
10. here’s the seived dry mixture on top of the wet mixture.
11. gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients very well. don’t mix. this folding step is very important as you want the whole bread mixture to be one and mixed evenly without the batter getting deflated.
12. here’s the folded batter.
13. add 1 to 2 tbsp sunflower seeds. you can also add chopped walnuts or choco chips or any dry fruit of your choice instead of sunflower seeds.
14. fold gently again once or twice, so as the sunflower seeds are incorporated in the cake batter.
15. pour the batter in a greased or lined loaf pan ( 7.5 x 4 x 2.5 inches) or round cake pan (7.5 x 2 inches). i forgot to take a pic of this one. bake in the preheated oven at 180 degree C for 30-40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean.
the timing varies from oven to oven. depending on the temperature in your oven and the size of your pan, the bread might take less or more time than mentioned here.
the temperature varies from oven to oven. so take your call and keep an eye. however don’t open the oven until the bread is ¾th done. the benchmark is that a tooth pick inserted in the cake should come out clean.
16. when the bread cools down, then remove the banana bread from the pan.
17. when warm or cooled, slice and serve eggless banana bread plain with tea or coffee. the remaining loaf, you can wrap in a cling film or keep in a box in the fridge. warm the banana bread before serving. for more delicious banana recipes, you can check this collection of 24 banana recipes.