ugadi recipes – collection of 30 recipes which can be made for ugadi festival.
ugadi is one of the most important festival in the states of karnataka, andhra pradesh and telangana. ugadi is celebrated as new year by the people of the telugu and kannada communities. in maharashtra, this new year festival is known as gudi padwa. this year ugadi is falling on 18th march, 2018 (sunday).
one of the dishes that is made during ugadi is ugadi pachadi. ugadi pachadi signifies all the 6 tastes – sweet, salty, spicy, sour, astringent and bitter. the 6 ingredients used in preparing ugadi pachadi have these one taste in each one of them. these 6 tastes correspond to the 6 emotions of life which everyone goes through – joy, sadness, anger, fear, disgust and surprise.
in karantaka, a mixture of neem leaves and jaggery is consumed. this is known as bevu bella, where bevu means neem flowers and bella means jaggery in kannada language.
apart from ugadi pachadi other sweets and snacks are also made. this collection list shares recipes that can be made during ugadi festival. wishing all who celebrate happy ugadi.
collection of 30 ugadi recipes:
1. poornam boorelu recipe – deep fried snack made with a stuffing of chana dal+jaggery and coated with rice+urad dal batter.
2. sweet pongal recipe – sweet porridge like dish made with rice and mung lentils, flavored with cardamoms and dry fruits. sweet pongal is also known as sakkarai pongal in tamil language. it is a sweet dish made during festive occasions in south india. other popular variations of pongal are ven pongal, rava pongal and sweet pongal recipe with sugar.
3. badam halwa recipe – rich south indian style halwa made with blanched almonds, ghee and sugar. the recipe gives a really good badam halwa, which has the right sweetness and a lovely texture which is not soft and firm. but kind of between. one which gives a heavenly feeling when you savor the halwa.
4. poha ladoo recipe – quick and delicious poha ladoo made with thick poha, jaggery and ghee. poha is flattened rice or parched rice. poha or flattened rice, is used in making many recipes like poha idli, poha dosa, poha chivda, aloo poha, poha upma and sweet poha. these poha ladoos are not only quick to make but also make for a good sweet snack for kids.
5. rava kesari recipe – sweet south indian dessert made with semolina, ghee, dry fruits and saffron. rava kesari’s north indian counterpart is sooji ka halwa. few variations of rava kesaris are milk kesari, fruits kesari and pineapple kesari recipe.
6. tamarind rice recipe – popular south indian recipe of a tangy, sour & spiced rice. the recipe dish is also known as puliyodharai in tamil language. preparing tamarind rice takes a lot of time. so you can prepare the pulikachal and store in the fridge. whenever you want to prepare just cook rice. then mix rice with pulikachal.
7. sesame ladoo recipe – easy recipe of delicious ladoos made with sesame seeds, peanuts, desiccated coconut and jaggery. i have also posted another variation of sesame seeds ladoo where the jaggery syrup is cooked till a soft ball consistency. both the variations of sesame seeds ladoo taste different.
8. punugulu recipe – punugulu or punukulu are crisp fried snack from the andhra cuisine. these fritters are made with idli batter or dosa batter. punugulu can be made with freshly ground idli batter or fermented idli dosa batter. if you like sour tasting fritters, then you can use idli batter which has become slightly sour or a 2 to 3 days old batter. usually i make these fritters on the second day.
9. lemon rice recipe – crunchy, flavorful and sour rice recipe from south india. this is one of the most popular and often made rice recipe from south india. few more popular south indian rice varieties are ghee rice, tomato rice, nei choru, carrot rice and bisi bele bath.
10. puran poli recipe – flat bread stuffed with a sweet lentil filling made from chana dal (skinned spilt bengal gram) and jaggery.
11. butter murruku recipe – south indian style murukku made with butter & rice flour. murruku is the south indian variation of the chakli that is made in maharashtra and gujarat. while the basic method remains the same, there are many variations of murukku made with different ingredients and their proportions.
12. medu vada recipe – crisp and fried dough nuts made from black grams. it is one of the most popular south indian snacks and goes well with sambar or coconut chutney or even with mint coriander chutney. another variation of medu vada is ulundu vada which is made without onion and garlic.
13. pasi paruppu payasam recipe – creamy and a delicious payasam made with yellow mung lentils, jaggery and coconut milk.
14. onion pakoda recipe – fried crisp onion fritters made south indian style. the taste and texture of this onion pakoda is very different than the north indian onion pakora recipe. these are crisp and crunchy ones and taste too good with coconut chutney. though you can also serve with tomato chutney or mint chutney or coriander chutney too. for more pakora varieties, you can check this collection of 35 pakora recipes.
15. whole wheat appam recipe – quick sweet appams made with whole wheat flour, bananas and jaggery. these appams make for a nice evening snack. they stay for a week in the fridge. few more similar recipes you can try are sweet paniyaram, rice appam (yereyappa), banana buns (mangalore banana pooris), whole wheat banana pancake and masala paniyaram recipe.
16. masala vada recipe – south indian spiced fritters made with chana dal or bengal gram. the method of preparing masala vadai is similar to falafel. instead of ground white chickpeas, chana dal or bengal gram is used here. the spices and herbs added here are also different than what is added in falafel. usually i prepare the less spiced chana dal vada which has a fewer spices and herbs than this one. another popular variation is this chana dal veg vadai recipe.
17. carrot halwa recipe – a traditional slow cooked recipe of carrot halwa with just carrots, milk, ghee, sugar and a few dry fruits. if you plan to make halwa as a dessert for ugadi, then you can also check this collection of 28 halwa recipes.
18. paal payasam recipe – sweet, creamy south indian kheer or pudding made with milk and rice. payasam or kheer is akin to a rice pudding. this is the simplest payasam recipe. only four ingredients go in the payasam – rice, milk, sugar and ghee.
19. curd rice recipe – a popular south indian rice variety that is served with a south indian meal or south indian thali. it is also called as thayir sadam or bagala bath. curd rice can be just had plain or can be served after a south indian meal.
20. sabudana kheer recipe – sweet pudding made with tapioca pearls or sabudana and milk. this creamy sabudana kheer is very easy to make. just remember to cook the sabudana pearls very well. once cooked, they should not give you any resistance when you bite into these pearls. for more kheer recipes, you can check this collection of 24 kheer recipes.
21. raw mango rice recipe – spiced and tangy rice made from raw unripe green mangoes. tempered rice made from raw mangoes are popular in andhra, karnataka and tamil nadu cuisine. this recipe is inspired from the raw mango rice that is made in karnataka cuisine, also known as mavinakayi chitranna. few more recipes which you can make with raw unripe mangoes are aam ka panna, aam ka murabba, raw mango salad, mango dal and raw mango chaat recipe.
22. vangi bhath recipe – homely delicious recipe of brinjal rice from the karnataka cuisine. vangi means baingan or brinjal. vangi bath is popular in the maharashtrian and karnataka cuisine. its prepared differently in both the states. this is a karnataka style vangi bath recipe. you can also check maharashtrian vangi bhath recipe which uses goda masala and curd or tomatoes.
23. rava kheer recipe – a quick and easy kheer made with semolina or sooji. this rava kheer recipe gets done in about 20 minutes and is so simple that even a newbie can make it easily. i usually make this kheer like the way i make seviyan kheer. for more rava recipes, you can check this post -> 25 rava recipes.
24. sweet corn sundal recipe – sundals are south indian based dishes made with a variety of legumes and is prepared during ganesh chaturthi or navratri festival. few more sundal recipes on blog are black chickpeas sundal, rajma sundal, chana sundal and green peas sundal.
25. gutti vankaya recipe – stuffed brinjal dish from the andhra cuisine. here the stuffing is made from a mix of desiccated coconut, peanuts and spices, which is ground finely. small tender brinjals are stuffed with this ground masala and then cooked. a bit of tamarind pulp is added to the gravy for a faint sour taste. it tastes best with jowar roti or bajra roti or chapatis or steamed rice.
26. coconut barfi recipe – an easy recipe of coconut barfi made with condensed milk. the coconut barfi had a melt in the mouth soft texture. you can also make coconut ladoos with the same mixture. few more coconut based sweets which you can make for ugadi festival are coconut ladoo, coconut barfi with khoya, 7 cup barfi, sweet kozhukattai and coconut ladoo with khoya.
27. mysore bonda recipe – mysore bonda also known as ulundu bonda is a popular fried snack from the mysore cuisine. these are round fritters made from urad dal (black gram). these are also no onion no garlic snack as well. few more tasty variations are potato bonda, farali potato bonda and veg bonda recipe.
28. rava ladoo recipe – quick and easy recipe of rava ladoo made with semolina, khoya (evaporated milk solids) and desiccated coconut. this quick ladoo recipe gets done in 20 minutes. few more sweets that you can make with rava for ugadi festival are rava ladoo with khoya, rava kesari bhath, saffron sooji halwa and rava modak.
29. coconut rice recipe – mild and light south indian coconut rice also known as thengai sadam. you can serve coconut rice as it is or pair with a gravy or curry like veg kuzhambu, hotel style veg korma, veg stew, potato stew, veg korma or even plain homemade fresh curd.
30. seviyan kheer recipe – seviyan kheer also known as vermicelli kheer is a must at any festival at our place. this is an easy recipe to make seviyan kheer and gets done in 20 minutes. few more kheer recipes you can make are rice kheer, phirni, carrot payasam, pineapple payasam and rice payasam with coconut milk