ugadi pachadi recipe with video and step by step photos – ugadi pachadi is one of the most important dish that is made during ugadi festival. ugadi is celebrated as new year in the states of karnataka, andhra pradesh and telangana. in maharashtra, this new year festival is known as gudi padwa.
ugadi pachadi comprises of 6 tastes that correspond with the 6 emotions of life. its the first dish one has during this festival. apart from the health benefits it has, this pachadi also signifies that one has to accept life with all its facets.
the 6 ingredients that are added in ugadi pachadi and which correspond to the taste and emotions are:
- tamarind – sour taste – unpleasantness
- jaggery – sweet taste – joy or happiness
- raw mango – tangy, astringent – surprise
- neem flowers – bitter – sadness
- black pepper – spicy, hot – anger
- salt – salty – fear
there are no set proportions for making the recipe and you can always add the 6 ingredients less or more as per your choice. this ugadi pachadi recipe gives you a balanced ugadi pachadi with all the 6 tastes coming through. generally new tamarind and new jaggery is used.
alternatives for ingredients:
1. this season is the season of blooming of neem flowers and also of mangoes. so in india, neem flowers will be easily available. if you live outside india, then use bitter ingredients like soaked methi seeds or methi powder instead of neem flowers.
2. instead of black pepper powder you can also use red chilli powder or green chilies. i always use black pepper in the naivedyam food that i offer to the deities, so i have added black pepper powder. moreover i think chilies were not native to india. so the ancient food that we must have made must have been spiced with black pepper and not chilies.
if you are looking for more ugadi recipes then do check:
ugadi pachadi recipe card below:
ugadi pachadi recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR ugadi pachadi recipe
- 1 teaspoon tamarind
- ¼ cup water for soaking tamarind
- ⅓ cup water to be added later
- ¼ cup jaggery
- ⅓ cup finely chopped raw mangoes
- 2 tablespoons neem flowers
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required
HOW TO MAKE ugadi pachadi recipe
- soak 1 teaspoon tamarind in ¼ cup water for about 40 minutes to 1 hours. then squeeze the tamarind pulp and keep it aside. in a bowl, add this tamarind pulp.
- then add ⅓ cup water.
- add ¼ cup chopped jaggery.
- mix very well with a spoon so that the jaggery dissolves.
- then add the finely chopped raw mangoes and neem flowers.
- season with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder. mix very well.
- offer ugadi pachadi as naivedyam to your deities. then serve it your family.
how to make ugadi pachadi recipe:
1. soak 1 teaspoon tamarind in ¼ cup water for about 40 minutes to 1 hours. then squeeze the tamarind pulp and keep it aside. in a bowl, add this tamarind pulp.
2. then add ⅓ cup water.
3. add ¼ cup chopped jaggery.
4. mix very well with a spoon so that the jaggery dissolves.
5. then add the finely chopped raw mangoes. you can also add bananas, roasted chana dal, dry fruits and coconut.
6. then add the neem flowers. if you do not have neem flowers, then you can add soaked methi seeds or methi powder.
7. add ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder. you can also add green chilies or red chili powder instead of black pepper powder.
8. season with ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required. mix very well.