Ugadi pachadi is one of the most important dish that is made during Ugadi Festival. Ugadi is celebrated as new year in the states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. In Maharashtra, this new year festival is known as Gudi Padwa. This year Gudi Padwa and Ugadi is falling on 13 April 2021.
Table of Contents
Ugadi Pachadi – A Festival Elixir
Ugadi pachadi is a festive food drink containing 6 ingredients having the 6 tastes. so Ugadi pachadi comprises of 6 tastes that correspond with the 6 emotions of life.
It is the first dish one has during the Ugadi festival after offering it to the deities. Apart from the health benefits of this festive drink, Ugadi pachadi also signifies that one has to accept life with all its facets.
The 6 ingredients that are added in Ugadi pachadi and which correspond to the taste and emotions are:
- Tamarind – sour taste – unpleasantness
- Jaggery – sweet taste – joy or happiness
- Unripe mango – tangy, astringent – surprise
- Neem flowers – bitter – sadness
- Black pepper – spicy, hot – anger
- Salt – salty – fear
- The summer season is the season of blooming of neem flowers and also of mangoes. So in India, neem flowers will be easily available. If you live outside India, then use bitter ingredients like soaked methi seeds or methi powder instead of neem flowers.
- Instead of black pepper powder you can also use red chilli powder or green chillies. I always use black pepper in the naivedyam food that I offer to the deities, so I have added black pepper powder. Moreover, I think chillies were not native to India. So the ancient food that we must have made must have been spiced with black pepper and not chillies.
How is it made ?
- Firstly tamarind pulp is made by soaking tamarind in water for some minutes. to the tamarind pulp, the rest of the ingredients are added and mixed.
- There are no set proportions for making the recipe and you can always add the 6 ingredients less or more as per your choice. This Ugadi pachadi recipe gives you a balanced Ugadi pachadi with all the 6 tastes coming through. Generally new tamarind and new jaggery is used.
How to make Ugadi Pachadi
1. Soak 1 teaspoon tamarind in ¼ cup water for about 40 minutes to 1 hour. Then squeeze the tamarind pulp and keep it aside. In a bowl, add this tamarind pulp.
2. Then add ⅓ cup of water.
3. Add ¼ cup chopped jaggery.
4. Mix very well with a spoon so that the jaggery dissolves.
5. Then add the finely chopped raw mangoes. You can also add bananas, roasted chana dal, dry fruits and coconut.
6. Then add the neem flowers. If you do not have neem flowers, then you can add soaked methi seeds or methi powder.
7. Add ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder. You can also add green chilies or red chili powder instead of black pepper powder.
8. season with ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required. mix very well.
9. Offer Ugadi pachadi as naivedyam to your deities. Then serve it your family.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Ugadi Pachadi Recipe
- 1 teaspoon tamarind
- ¼ cup water – for soaking tamarind
- ⅓ cup water – to be added later
- ¼ cup chopped jaggery
- ⅓ cup finely chopped unripe mangoes
- 2 tablespoons neem flowers
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required
- Soak tamarind in water for about 40 minutes to 1 hour. Then squeeze the tamarind pulp and keep it aside. In a bowl, add this tamarind pulp.
- Later add ⅓ cup water to this bowl containing the tamarind extract or pulp.
- Add the chopped jaggery.
- Mix very well with a spoon so that the jaggery dissolves.
- Then add the finely chopped raw mangoes and neem flowers.
- Season with salt and black pepper powder. Mix very well.
- Offer ugadi pachadi as naivedyam to your deities. Then serve it to your family.
- Ugadi pachadi recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- You can add less or more of any of the 6 ingredients.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.