gudi padwa recipes – collection of 21 gudi padwa recipes.
gudi padwa is one of the most important festival celebrated in maharashtra and marks the beginning of new year as per the lunisolar calendar. in andhra pradesh this festival is called as ugadi and in karnataka, known as yugadi.
the list below shares 21 recipes that are made during gudi padwa. this year gudi padwa is falling on 18th march, 2018 (sunday). wishing all readers a happy and prosperous gudi padwa festival.
collection of 21 gudi padwa recipes:
1. puran poli recipe – its one of the most popular maharashtrian recipe which is made during ganesh chaturthi or diwali or any other festive occasion in maharashtra. puran poli is a flat bread stuffed with a sweet lentil filling made from chana dal (skinned spilt bengal gram) and jaggery. you can also check this bobbatlu or holige recipe.
2. kothimbir vadi recipe – kothimbir is the marathi word for coriander leaves. kothimbir vadi are basically coriander fritters. the chickpea flour batter having coriander leaves and spices is steamed first and then cut into wedges and then fried till crisp.
3. ukadiche modak recipe – this is one of the most popular modak variety made during ganesh chaturthi festival in maharashtra. it is also called as ukadiche modak as the modaks are made from ukad or rice flour dough. after shaping them, the modaks are then steamed.
4. fried modak recipe – the outer covering of the fried modaks is made from whole wheat flour and hence it is a bit dense as compared to the ones made from all purpose flour (maida). please remember to roll the dough thin and not thick. other modak recipes posted on the blog are easy rava modak (does not require steaming), dry fruits modak, chocolate modak, quick mawa modak and sweet kozhukattai recipe (south indian recipe variation of modaks).
5. shrikhand recipe – a traditional indian sweet made with hung curd and flavored with saffron and cardamom. in both maharashtrian and gujarati weddings, shrikhand is served in the thali meal. you will also see shrikhand being served in the thali meals in restaurants. two more variations of shrikhand which you can make are mango shrikhand and shrikhand with greek yogurt.
6. sweet shankarpali recipe – a sweet snack which is usually made during festive occasions like diwali in maharashtra. these slightly flaky, melt in the mouth crisp fried flour cookies are a good tea time snack and popular in western india. few more similar recipes are savory shankarpali, shakkar pare, namak pare, karanji, nankhatai and punjbai mathri recipe.
7. rice chakli recipe – a deep fried snack made from rice flour, gram flour, wheat flour or a mixture of lentil flours. they are also known as murukku in south. chakli or chakri are made as a part of the diwali faraal (diwali snacks & sweets) in maharashtra and gujarat.
8. batata vada recipe – its a popular mumbai street food. potato is called as batata in marathi language. in mumbai and the rest of maharashtra this recipe is called batata vada. in the south, it is called potato bonda.
9. katachi amti recipe – thin spicy dal made from the strained stock of cooked chana dal (bengal gram). katachi amti is usually served with puran poli but also can be served with steamed rice.
10. poori bhaji recipe – maharashtrian version of potato curry with pooris. this is a dry potato sabzi served with pooris and sometimes accompanied with onion slices, lemon wedges and coconut chutney. the puri bhaji is also served with dal, rice, raita or salad (koshimbir) in a thali.
11. batata bhaji – boiled and chopped or crumbled potatoes tempered with spices and sauted. this is a no onion no garlic recipe. generally we offer this simple but delicious batata bhaji as naivedyam or bhog to lord ganesha.
12. aam panna recipe – cooling mango drink slightly sour and sweet to taste with a hint of cardamom and black salt. three indian drinks i often make in the summers are shikanji, aam ka panna and kokum sherbet. they all are summer coolers and help greatly in beating the heat in the summers. few more popular recipes which are made with raw mangoes are raw mango rice, mango dal, raw mango chaat, aam ka murabba and mango pickle recipe.
13. masale bhaat recipe – spicy and aromatic one pot traditional rice recipe with veggies from the maharashtrian cuisine.
14. basundi recipe – basundi is a sweet thickened milk, flavored with cardamom and nutmeg, with the addition of dry fruits. this milk based dessert is popular in the western part of india, specially in the states maharashtra and gujarat.
15. sabudana vada recipe – its crispy and delicious and can be made as a morning or evening snack. sabudana vada is served with sweet curd (yogurt) in maharashtra and this combination tastes great. sabudana is a common ingredient used during the religious fasting or vrat. few sabudana recipes which you can make for navratri fasting are sabudana khichdi, sabudana thalipeeth, sabudana kheer, sabudana bhel, sabudana tikki, sabudana pakoras and sabudana ladoos.
16. coconut barfi recipe – an easy recipe of coconut barfi made with condensed milk. the coconut barfi had a melt in the mouth soft texture. you can also make coconut ladoos with the same mixture. few more barfi recipes you can make for gudi padwa festival are coconut barfi with khoya, kaju katli, badam pista barfi and quick khoya barfi recipe.
17. banana sheera recipe – banana sheera also known as banana halwa is one sweet dish that i have grown up having at most of the puja functions in mumbai. sheera is the marathi term for halwa. if you plan to make halwa for gudi padwa festival then you can also check this collection of 28 halwa recipes.
18. alu vadi recipe – alu vadi also known as patra is stuffed rolled colocasia leaves snack that is popular in both maharashtrian and gujarati cuisine. another recipe you can make with colocasia leaves is this colocasia leaves gravy (alu chi patal bhaji).
19. varan bhaat recipe – delicious lentil stew or dal made with pigeon pea lentils and served with rice. there are many variations of making varan bhaat recipe. this recipe is a maharashtrian recipe of making varan bhaat. i have also posted goan style varan bhaat recipe on the blog where coconut is added. so you can take your pick.
20. coconut ladoo recipe – melt in the mouth coconut ladoos made with just three ingredient. these coconut ladoos are easy to make, provided you get 1 thread or ek taar consistency in the sugar syrup. i have also shared the recipes of coconut ladoo with khoya and coconut ladoo recipe with condensed milk. for more ladoo varieties, you can check this collection of 22 ladoo recipes.
21. sabudana kheer recipe – sweet pudding made with tapioca pearls or sabudana and milk. this creamy sabudana kheer is very easy to make. just remember to cook the sabudana pearls very well. once cooked, they should not give you any resistance when you bite into these pearls. for more kheer recipes, you can check this collection of 24 kheer recipes.