collection of 30 lohri recipes – lohri is the harvest festival celebrated in north india specially in punjab. people gather together in night and have bonfire. they also offer rewri (sesame brittles), pop corn and peanuts to the fire. the fire is worshipped and one cannot eat the rewri, peanuts, popcorn without first offering it to the fire.
people sing traditional songs and the story of dulha bhatti is also sung. dulha bhatti was kind of a robinhood figure who helped poor people. specially the story of two girls sundri and mundri who were helped by dulha bhatti is often sung during the occasion of lohri.
its a joyous time. people dance, sing songs and exchange gifts. lohri also signifies the end of winter and beginning of spring. this year lohri festival is on 13th Jan, 2018.
here in this post, i am sharing collection of 30 recipes which can be made during lohri festival.
30 lohri festival recipes:
1. sarson ka saag recipe – it is one of the most popular punjabi recipe made during winters. sarson ka saag topped with homemade butter and served with makki di roti is not only comforting but also warms up the palate as well as the body. other variation of saag posted on blog are palak saag, chane ka saag and saag paneer.
2. makki di roti recipe – popular north indian maize flour bread. the bread is unleavened and cooked in ghee. the combo of makki di roti with sarson ka saag topped with white butter is too good. if you visit punjab during winters then don’t miss this combo of makki di roti with sarson ka saag. its not only delicious but also very warming during winters.
3. pindi chole recipe – this is one of the easiest chana recipe to make. as no grinding, no long frying or sauting (bhunaoing) is required and no making or powdering the chole masala. all you need is readymade chole masala. and the rest everything is easy and quick. other popular chole varieties on blog are peshawari chole, palak chole and methi chole recipe.
4. atta ladoo recipe – easy and quick to prepare delicious ladoos made with whole wheat flour or atta.
6. mooli ka paratha recipe – whole wheat flat breads stuffed with spiced grated radish. these parathas are often made as breakfast in punjabi homes. few more popular paratha variations made are aloo paratha, gobi paratha, pyaaz ka paratha and paneer paratha recipe.
7. gobi pakora recipe – crisp fried marinated cauliflower fritters made with gram flour. pakoras are relished during winters or in monsoons. other popular pakoras in north india are bread pakora, aloo pakora and onion pakora recipe.
8. peanut chikki recipe – winter special sweet of crisp peanut brittles.
10. chole recipe – this punjabi chole masala recipe gives a good balance of spiciness, taste and flavor. other popular chole variations on posted on blog are kadai chole, paneer chole and aloo chole. chole goes well with rice, rotis, pooris or naan.
11. restaurant style dal makhani recipe – dal makhani is one of the most popular punjabi lentil based recipe. dal makhani is made with whole black gram & kidney beans. you could see dal makhani being served in marriages, engagements and almost any parties in india. the more slow cooked dal makhani is, the better it tastes. you can also check this easy home style dal makhani and dhaba style dal makhani recipe.
12. palak paneer recipe – this is one of the most popular indian dishes. soft paneer cubes cooked in a smooth spinach curry. you can also check palak paneer recipe restaurant style, which has the smoking or dhungar method incorporated in it.
13. panjiri recipe – a traditional punjabi sweet made with whole wheat flour or atta. panjiri is a dry sweet in which whole wheat flour is roasted in ghee and then powdered sugar is added to this mix. generally we add khand or khandsari, which is desi raw sugar to it. you can also add organic unrefined cane sugar if you do not get desi khand.
14. gur wale chawal recipe (jaggery rice) – this orangish amber colored jaggery rice recipe is a sweet and delectable one. generally, you just have it plain. but it also tastes nice, when you take a little milk, mix it with the warm jaggery rice and eat it.
15. gajar halwa recipe – carrot halwa is one of the most popular halwa recipe that is made with grated carrots. recipe shared here is a traditional slow cooked recipe of carrot halwa with just carrots, milk, ghee, sugar and some dry fruits. i have also shared the easy recipe of making gajar halwa with condensed milk.
16. til ke ladoo recipe – simple recipe of ladoos prepared with sesame seeds, jaggery, peanuts and desiccated coconut. in this till ladoo recipe, i have cooked the jaggery syrup to a soft ball stage. so this gives the ladoos a soft and chewy texture. you can also cook the jaggery syrup to hard ball stage and you will get firm and dense ladoos. two more variations of sesame laddos you can make are:
17. rice kheer recipe – a favorite indian dessert made with basmati rice, milk, nuts and saffron. kheer are often made during festive occasions in north india. there are many variation of this kheer. e.g. you can make it cooked rice also. or you can try this phirni recipe. another popular kheer variety which is made in punjabi homes is this seviyan kheer recipe.
18. rajma masala restaurant style recipe – lightly spiced, creamy and a popular punjabi curry made with kidney beans. the combo of rajma chawal is very popular. rajma masala also goes very well with phulkas or rotis. two more delicious variations of rajma curry on blog are easy punjabi rajma curry (pressure cooker method) and jammu style rajma masala recipe.
19. paneer butter masala – this is an easy and quick to make restaurant style paneer butter masala recipe. within minutes you can prepare delicious paneer butter masala. it has a slight sweet taste and very mildly spiced.
20. khoya matar makhana recipe – rich punjabi curry made with peas, makhana (fox nuts) and khoya (mawa or evaporated milk). other recipes with makhana which can make for lohri festival are makhana kheer, makhana raita, aloo makhana and roasted makhana recipe.
21. bhindi masala recipe – easy to make and lightly spiced north indian dry curry made with okra. it goes well with soft rotis or phulkas or plain parathas. you can also check this bhindi masala gravy version. another popular crispy okra dish posted on the blog is this kurkuri bhindi recipe.
22. aloo gobi curry recipe – rich and creamy restaurant style aloo gobi recipe. there are many ways of making aloo gobi recipe. you can also check this easy and simple yet delicious dry aloo gobi recipe and the restaurant style gobi masala recipe.
23. dry fruits barfi recipe – a simple and easy recipe to make dry fruit barfi. in this recipe, apart from mixed dry fruits i have also used sesame seeds and desiccated coconut. since made of dry fruits, this barfi is warming in nature and hence good for cold seasons. you can also check this dry fruit ladoo recipe.
24. punjabi kadhi recipe – kadhi pakora is very popular in punjabi homes and often made during weekends or for main course. fried onion pakoras in a creamy and sour yogurt sauce. kadhi goes well with rotis, rice or jeera rice.
26. makhana ki kheer recipe – popular and delicious kheer made with phool makhana. this is simple kheer recipe and fuss free too.
28. dahi bhalla chaat recipe – dahi bhalla is a popular snack in north india, particularly in delhi and punjab. the method to make dahi bhalla is same as preparing dahi vada. in dahi bhalle, papdis (fried flour crispies), boiled potato cubes & cooked chickpeas are added which are not added in dahi vada.
29. bajra khichdi recipe – a warming and nutritious khichdi made during winters. in this bajra khichdi recipe only bajra and moong dal is used along with a few spices and herbs. bajra is the hindi word for pearl millet.
30. sooji halwa recipe – a quick, easy and delicious halwa made with rava or sooji. sooji halwa is often made for an auspicious occasion or a pooja or for the festive occasion.