Aloo makhana recipe with step by step photos. This is an easy snack made with potatoes and foxnuts. Gluten-Free and Vegan.
Ingredients like potatoes and makhana are consumed during fasting. I always have a stock of makhana at home. Sometimes I roast them and keep them stored in a jar. Sometimes I make kheer with them.
This aloo makhana recipe is very easy. All you need are some boiled potatoes and the usual spices we use during Navratri fasting. This is a light snack that can be had during Navratri.
How to make aloo makhana
1. Rinse and then cook 4 potatoes with water just about, covering all the potatoes, in a pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. When they become warm or cool down, peel and chop them.
2. Heat a pan and add 1.5 cups phool makhana.
3. On a low flame, stir and roast the makhane till they become crunchy. About 4 to 5 minutes on a low flame.
4. Remove the roasted makhana and keep aside.
5. Heat ½ tbsp peanut oil or ghee in a pan. Add chopped green chillies and stir.
6. Add the chopped potatoes.
7. Then add 1 tsp anardana powder or crushed anardana, 1 tsp cumin powder and rock salt as required. You can also add dry mango powder, instead of anardana powder.
8. Mix the spices with the rest of the potatoes. on a low to medium flame, saute the potatoes till they start to become light golden or golden.
9. Switch off the flame. Add the roasted makhana. don’t saute the makhana as then they become chewy. Just give a quick stir.
10. Add 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves or coriander leaves.
11. Give a quick stir and Serve aloo makhana immediately.
If you are looking for more Navratri recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 300 grams potatoes or 4 medium potatoes - boiled, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 cups makhana (foxnuts or phool makhana)
- 1 teaspoon roasted anardana (dry pomegranate seeds) - crushed to a powder in a mortar-pestle or 1 teaspoon dry pomegranate powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 green chili - chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- ½ tablespoon oil or ghee
- rock salt (edible and food grade) or sendha namak as required
- First boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker or steamer. When they become warm or cool down, peel and chop them.
- Heat a pan and add 1.5 cups phool makhana.
- On a low flame, stir and roast the makhana till they become crunchy.
- Remove the roasted makhana and keep aside.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp peanut oil or ghee in a pan.
- Add the chopped potatoes. Then add 1 tsp roasted anardana powder or crushed anardana, cumin powder and rock salt. You can also add dry mango powder, instead of anardana powder.
- Mix the spices with the rest of the potatoes.
- On a low to medium flame, saute the potatoes till they start to become light golden or golden.
- Switch off the flame. Add the roasted makhana. Don't saute the makhana as then they become chewy.
- Add 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves or coriander leaves.
- Give a quick stir and serve immediately.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.