methi chole curry recipe with step by step photos. a spicy and tasty punjabi fenugreek and chickpeas curry. methi and palak are two greens which goes very well with chole.
this a healthy way to include greens in your diet. i love this combination as in my family they like chickpeas but are not so fond of greens. whereas i am fond of greens and always try to find ways to include them in my diet.
there are many variations of making methi chole recipe as it is made differently in punjabi, rajasthani or gujarati cuisine. e.g. in rajasthani cuisine they don’t use onions and garlic and the recipe is shared here.
i wanted to make this methi chole recipe in punjabi style where they use onions, garlic, tomatoes, amchur, garam masala and lot of spices. so this methi chole recipe has distinct punjabi flavors and is little sour and spicy in taste. they go well with roti, rice, naan, poori or bhatura.
i served the methi chole masala with homemade naans which were made without yeast.
methi chole recipe below:
methi chole recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for pressure cooking the chickpeas:
- 1.5 cups chole (chana) or dried white chickpeas
- 4 to 5 cups water for pressure cooking the chickpeas
- black salt as required.
for onion paste:
- 1 large onion
- 4-5 garlic (lahsun)
- 1 inch ginger (adrak)
for tomato paste
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 green chili (hari mirch)
- 1 red chili (sookhi lal mirch)
wholespices or garam masala:
- 1 or 2 inch cinnamon (dal chini)
- 1 or 2 big cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 2 green cardamom (chotti elaichi)
- 2-3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 bay leaf (indian tej patta)
other ingredients for methi chole curry:
- 2 cups fenugreek leaves (methi leaves)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf)
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur) or as required
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 3 or 4 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon curd (dahi or yogurt) - dairy or vegan
- 1 or 1.5 cups water
- few coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta) - optional
- salt as required
how to make methi chole recipe
preparation for methi chole recipe:
- soak the chickpeas overnight in water.
- next day pressure cook the chickpeas with water and black salt, till they are completely cooked.
- make the onion paste with garlic and ginger.
- and also make the tomato paste with green chili and red chili.
- no need to add water when making these two pastes.
making methi chole curry:
- heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a pan.
- add all the spices mentioned under the list whole spices. fry till the spices are fragrant.
- then add the onion paste and fry till it gets browned.
- this takes quite some time and you have to stir frequently, so that there is even browning and the paste does not get burnt.
- add tomato paste and add yogurt.
- add all turmeric, red chili, coriander, fennel, garam masala powder along with the asafoetida.
- also add the methi leaves and stir and saute till the oil starts to leave the sides of the mixture.
add the cooked chickpeas/chole, water and salt.
- mash a few chole with the back of the spoon to slightly thicken the gravy.
simmer till the gravy thickens slightly.
- lastly add mango powder (amchur) and stir. simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- garnish methi chole with coriander leaves and serve methi chole hot with roti, naan, puri, bhatura or rice.
how to make punjabi chole methi curry recipe:
1. soak 1.5 cups of chole (chickpeas) overnight in water.
2. drain the water.
3. next day add the chickpeas with 4 to 5 cups of water in the pressure cooker.
4. also add black salt. instead of black salt, you can add regular salt also. however, i find the taste better with black salt.
5. pressure cook till they are completely cooked. allow the pressure cooker to cool.
6. drain the chickpeas water.
7. add 1 large sized chopped onion, 1 inch chopped ginger and 4 to 5 chopped garlic to the blender.
8. no need to add water. blend the onion paste till smooth. remove the paste and keep aside.
9. add 2 medium sized chopped tomatoes, 1 chopped green chili and 1 dry red chili to the blender.
10. blend the tomato paste till smooth. no need to add water when making these two pastes.
11. rinse 2 cups of fenugreek leaves (methi) in water, drain the water.
12. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making methi chole.
13. heat 3-4 tablespoon oil in a pan. add 1 bay leaf, 1 or 2 big cardamom (badi elaichi), 2 green cardamom (choti elaichi), 1 or 2 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini) and 2 to 3 cloves (lavang).
14. fry till the spices become fragrant.
15. then add the onion paste.
16. stir and mix well.
17. fry till it gets browned.
18. this takes quite some time and you have to stir frequently, so that there is even browning and the paste does not get burnt.
19. then add tomato paste and add 2 tablespoons yogurt (dahi or curd).
20. stir and mix well.
21. now add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), ½ to 1 teaspoon red chili powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf), ½ to 1 teaspoon garam masala powder along with 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing).
22. stir the spices well.
23. then add the methi leaves.
24. stir and saute till the oil starts to leave the sides of the mixture.
25. add the cooked chole and water.
26. stir and mix well.
27. add salt as required and mix well.
28. mash a few chole with the back of the spoon to slightly thicken the gravy.
29. simmer till the methi chole gravy thickens slightly.
30. lastly add 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder). stir and mix well.
31. simmer for 1-2 minutes.
32. garnish methi chole with few coriander leaves.