cauliflower pakoda or gobi pakora recipe with step by step photos. crisp and tasty fried marinated cauliflower fritters made with gram flour (besan). one more pakora recipe for the monsoon time.
monsoon is one of the best time to enjoy fried food like pakora, chole bhature, tikki, chaat, samosa and so on. i know many folks don’t like fried foods. if you are calorie conscious or avoiding fried food, then the option is to bake the pakoras, which i have tried but not with successful results.
since monsoons are in full swing here, i am making a lot of fried snacks these days at home. its always better to enjoy the snacks made at home than to eat outside during monsoon season.
but in this recipe i have marinated the gobi before deep frying them. the idea came to me when i had made mushroom tikka with besan (gram flour) where the mushrooms were marinated first and then grilled.
here the gobi (cauliflower) is marinated with the spices first and then dipped in the gram flour batter and fried. these cauliflower pakora are crisp in taste and should ideally be eaten hot. if you are having them as snacks then pair them with a cup of hot masala chai or coffee.
these gobi pakora can be served as a side dish or even as starters with tomato sauce or pudina chutney or coriander chutney. they can be had plain or with roti or even with bread. i served the cauliflower fritters with dry pomegranate chutney and some rotis.
cauliflower pakoda recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for cauliflower pakoda
- 1 medium sized cauliflower (phool gobi)
- 2 cups gram flour (besan)
- ½ tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (hing)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch baking soda (or baking powder) - optional
- water - add as required to make a thick flowing batter
- oil for deep frying or shallow frying the pakoras
- rock salt or regular salt as required
for garnish and flavoring
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala to sprinkle from above
- ½ teaspoon lemon jucice to be sprinkled (optional)
- 1 or 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnish (dhania patta)
how to make cauliflower pakoda recipe
preparation for cauliflower pakoda recipe
boil enough water with salt.
break or chop the cauliflower in medium sized florets.
rinse them well and add them to the boiling water.
switch off the flame and let the cauliflower florets be immersed in the water for 10-12 minutes.
drain and then marinate the cauliflower with red chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala powder. mix very well and keep aside for 8-10 minutes.
making cauliflower pakoda
in another bowl, make a smooth batter with the besan/gram flour, asafoetida, baking soda or baking powder, salt and water.
next add carom seeds to the batter and mix well.
heat oil in a kadai or deep fryer.
take each marinated cauliflower and dip in the batter.
coat each floret with the batter and add these in the medium hot oil.
fry till the cauliflower fritters are crisp and golden evenly.
drain cauliflower pakoras on paper towels to remove excess oil.
serve the cauliflower pakoda hot or warm with any green chutney or sauce, sprinkled with chaat masala, lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - cauliflower pakoda recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
preparation for cauliflower pakoda recipe
1. break or chop one cauliflower in medium sized florets.
2. in a pan, boil enough water with salt.
3. rinse them well and then add them to the boiling water. switch off the flame and let the cauliflower florets be immersed in the water for 10-12 minutes. this is done to remove any insects, if any.
4. drain the cauliflower.
5. marinate the cauliflower with ½ teaspoon red chili powder and 1 pinch of turmeric powder.
6. also add ½ tablespoon ginger-garlic paste and ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder.
7. mix very well and keep aside for 8-10 minutes.
making gobi pakoda batter
8. in another bowl, add 2 cups of besan (gram flour), 1 pinch asafoetida (hing), 1 pinch baking soda or baking powder and salt as required.
9. next add ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) to the batter and mix well.
10. pour water as required.
11. make a smooth batter.
frying gobi pakoda
12. heat oil in a kadai or deep fryer.
13. take each marinated cauliflower and dip in the batter.
14. coat each floret with the batter.
15. add them in the medium hot oil.
16. fry till the cauliflower pakoda are crisp and golden evenly.
17. drain the cauliflower pakora on paper towels to remove excess oil.
18. sprinkle 1 teaspoon chaat masala, ½ teaspoon lemon juice and 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves on the gobi pakoras.
serve the cauliflower pakoda hot or warm with any green chutney or pudina chutney or tomato sauce.