khoya matar makhana recipe with step by step photos – i have been planning to add this recipe of khoya matar makhana from a long time. but just not able to prepare and post.
whenever, i would get khoya/mawa from the shops, i would end up adding it in the kulfi, barfi or gulab jamun. twice, i added the khoya to make mawa cake. in maharashtra and gujarat, evaporated dried milk is known as mawa. in north india evaporated milk is known as khoya and used in making many sweets and delicacies like gujiya.
this khoya matar makhana recipe is a pretty simple and straightforward punjabi recipe. the way i make my everyday punjabi gravy recipes and sabzis, minus the khoya and cream. another curry recipe where khoya is added is kaju khoya recipe.
makhana or fox nuts are always there in the kitchen. usually i roast them and keep in an air tight box. these puffed makhana make for a healthy snacking any time of the day. you can also make makhana raita. if you do not have makhana, then simply make the curry with peas and khoya. instead of makhana you can also add paneer/cottage cheese (check recipe notes for details). i also prepare another light & simple version of matar makhana, without the addition of khoya.
for the khoya or evaporated milk, you can either make at home or get from outside. the main flavor and taste factor in this dish, comes from the khoya. the subtle sweetness and creaminess in the gravy, is due to the khoya. the curry is mildly spiced with light sweet and tangy notes.
best to serve khoya matar makhana with tandoori rotis, naan, kulcha or paratha. the curry also goes well with plain basmati rice or jeera rice. this is a rich and heavy curry. so good to make for small parties or during festive occasions.
khoya matar makhana recipe below:
khoya matar makhana recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR khoya matar makhana recipe
- 1 cup makhana (lotus seeds or fox nuts)
- 1 cup green peas - fresh or frozen (matar)
- 125 to 150 grams khoya Or about ¾ to 1 cup grated or crumbled khoya (mawa)
- 1 medium onion - grated or finely chopped, Or 60 grams onions
- 3 medium sized tomatoes Or 180 grams tomatoes, Or ¾ cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste Or ½ inch ginger (adrak) + 3-4 garlic cloves (lahsun) crushed to a paste in a mortar pestle
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder or deghi mirch or ½ teaspoon of any other variety of red chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder or punjabi garam masala
- 2 tablespoon cream - 25% to 30% low fat
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ghee for sauting the makhana
- 2 tablespoon ghee for the gravy or curry
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ½ teaspoon sugar or as required (optional)
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE khoya matar makhana recipe
preparation for khoya matar makhana recipe:
- firstly steam the peas in a steamer or pressure cooker or a pan till they there completely cooked.
- finely chop the onions or grate/mince them.
- add chopped tomatoes in a blender and make a puree.
- alternatively, you can also blitz tomatoes, garlic and ginger in a blender till smooth.
making khoya matar makhana recipe:
- heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan or kadai.
- add makhana/lotus seeds and saute till crisp and the color changes to light golden. remove and keep aside.
- heat 2 tbsp ghee again in the same pan. then add finely chopped onions and saute till light golden or golden.
- add ginger garlic paste. saute till their raw aroma goes away. if adding ginger garlic paste, then add the tomato puree.
- OR alternatively, if you have ground the tomato-ginger-garlic together, then add it now.
- stir and sprinkle the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and garam masala powder.
- stir and saute till the fat leaves the sides of the mixture. check step no 7 pic to see the consistency of the sauted masala paste.
- add crumbled or grated khoya/mawa/evaporated milk and continue to saute for 2 mins or till the khoya melts, on a low flame.
- then add water. stir and allow the curry, till it reaches the desired consistency which is neither thick nor thin.
- add the steamed or cooked peas/matar and the roasted makhana.
- stir and simmer for 3 to 4 mins on a low flame.
- when you see some fat floating on top, then add cream. stir again and switch off the flame.
- garnish with coriander leaves.
- server khoya matar makhana hot with roti or naan or kulcha or paratha or steamed basmati rice or jeera rice.
- add the paneer cubes before you add the cream. once you add paneer cubes then simmer the gravy for 1-2 minutes and then add the cream.
- add upto 200 to 250 grams paneer.
step by step khoya matar makhana recipe:
1. heat 1 tbsp ghee in a kadai or pan. add makhana/lotus seeds.
2. saute makhana till they turn crisp and the color changes to light golden. remove roasted makhana and keep aside. please note that the makhana will absorb all the ghee. you can also roast the makhana with less amount of ghee or no fat.
3. blitz chopped tomatoes, garlic, ginger in a blender and prepare a smooth paste.
4. heat 2 tbsp ghee again in the same pan. then add finely chopped onions and saute till light golden or golden.
5. add the ground tomato-ginger-garlic paste.
6. stir and add turmeric powder/haldi, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder.
7. stir often and saute till the fat leaves the sides of the mixture. the whole masala paste should reduce. the consistency should be like the pic below.
8. add crumbled khoya/mawa/evaporated milk.
10. continuously stir and saute till the khoya melts.
11. then add water. simmer till the gravy reaches the desired consistency which is neither thick nor thin.
12. also steam the peas before you start with the gravy. this should be the first step ideally. the peas have to be cooked till tender as we are not going to cook the peas later.
13. add the steamed or cooked peas/matar and the roasted makhana to the gravy.
14. add both salt & sugar. simmer for 3 to 4 mins on a low flame.
15. when you see some fat floating on top, add cream.
16. stir well and switch off the flame.