Makhana raita recipe with step by step pics – spiced cooling raita made with phool makhana or fox nut.
Our summer meals are comforting meals like a simple sabzi or dal, sambar with rotis and steamed rice. I also make Punjabi gravies, but mostly during the weekends. Whenever I make a sabzi or dal, I often pair it with a raita in the summers. So I make different types of raita just to have some newness and variety in the food.
This makhana raita is interesting raita. I did not know raita can be made with makhana too. It was only when I was browsing web, that I came to know about this healthy raita. I have made this makhana raita, the way I make regular raita. I have not tempered this one. If you want, you can temper it with a pinch of asafoetida or some cumin seeds. The raita really tasted good. I first felt it would have a similar taste like Boondi raita. but it did not taste like boondi raita. It tasted even better than boondi raita. Do give it a try.
Makhana is also known as fox nut or eurayle ferox. they are rich in nutrients like calcium, protein, carbohydrates, phosphorous, iron, thiamine and zinc. Thus making them a healthy food. no fertilizers or pesticides are used in the entire cultivation of makhana. Thus making them naturally organic. They are so good that I make it a point to include makhana in our food. You can know more about them in this Roasted makhana post.
How to make makhana raita
1. Heat a small frying pan or kadai/wok and add ⅔ cup phool makhana in it.
2. On a low flame dry roast the phool makhana till they become crunchy and crisp. Stir at intervals while roasting. Take them in a plate and allow to cool.
3. Then coarsely crush them with a rolling pin in a zip lock bag. You can also crush them in a mixer or dry grinder.
Making makhana raita
4. Whisk 1 cup fresh chilled curd/yogurt in a bowl.
5. Spice the curd with ¼ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp roasted cumin powder & a pinch of garam masala powder. Also season with black salt.
6. Stir very well.
7. Then add the coarsely crushed phool makhana in the spiced curd and mix well.
8. Add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
9. Stir and Serve makhana raita immediately. if you chill the raita further, it thickens slightly. So you can add some water to thin the raita.
If you are looking for more Raita recipes then do check:
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 1 cup fresh chilled yogurt (curd)
- ⅔ cup makhana (phool makhana or fox nut or eurayle ferox)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 pinch Garam Masala
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- black salt or rock salt or regular salt as required
- Heat a small frying pan or kadai/wok and add 2/3 cup phool makhana in it.
- On a low flame dry roast the phool makhana till they become crunchy and crisp. Stir at intervals while roasting. Take them in a plate and allow to cool.
- Then coarsely crush them with a rolling pin in a zip lock bag or in a mixer or dry grinder.
making makhana raita
- Whisk 1 cup fresh chilled curd/yogurt in a bowl.
- Spice the curd with 1/4 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder & a pinch of garam masala powder. Season also with black salt. Stir very well.
- Then add the coarsely crushed phool makhana in the spiced curd.
- Add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- Stir and serve phool makhana raita immediately. If you chill the raita further, it thickens slightly. So you can add some water to thin the raita.