collection of 65 indian potato recipes. there are many dishes made in the indian cuisine with potatoes. we add them to curries, rice, flat breads and even sweets are made with them. the best part about potatoes is that they pair well with any veggie.
in this collection, i am sharing curries, dry sabzis and snacks recipes made with potatoes. most of them are easy to make and all you need are some indian spices and herbs.
these indian potato recipes pair very well with rotis or parathas or pooris. they also go equally well with bread. the thin gravies or curries can also be served with basmati rice.
you can also check these popular veggie recipes collections as most of the time potatoes pair well with other veggies like gobi, matar, gajar, palak, baingan, methi etc.
- cauliflower recipes (18 gobi recipes)
- matar recipes (25 green peas recipes)
- gajar recipes (23 carrot recipes)
- palak recipes (29 spinach recipes)
- methi recipes (19 dry fenugreek leaves recipes)
- brinjal recipes (20 baingan or eggplant recipes)
- top 10 veggie recipes
top 25 potato recipes
1. dum aloo recipe – a simply delicious recipe of dum aloo made restaurant style. the recipe method to prepare this dum aloo is easy. there are north indian flavors in this dum aloo and tastes damn good with phulka, rotis or butter naan.
3. potato curry recipe – a simple homely curry with potatoes. this potato curry recipe is also one of those recipes that you can make in a hurry after a tired day’s work or when have no veggies or lentils in your kitchen.
5. aloo gobi recipe – easy, simple and delicious homely aloo gobi recipe. serve with rotis, paratha or bread.
6. aloo tikki – popular north indian snack of spiced crisp potato patties. serve with green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
7. kashmiri dum aloo – baby potatoes in a spicy vibrant curd based gravy. a recipe from the kashmiri cuisine. served with steamed rice.
8. aloo methi – potatoes with fenugreek leaves made in punjabi style.
9. french fries recipe – these french fries are crisp from outside and soft & tender from inside. the way the french fries should be.
10. aloo chaat – one of the most easy chaat recipe. aloo chaat is basically fried crisp potato cubes tossed in spicy & sweet chutneys, a few spice powders and then topped with curd or pomegranate arils or sev.
11. jeera aloo – one of the easiest and simplest recipe made with potatoes and cumin.
13. potato kurma – south indian style recipe of a delicious potato korma. good as a side dish with chapatis, pooris, pulao, or biryani. few more korma recipes on blog are:
14. potato chips – healthy, tasty and crisp oven baked potato chips or potato wafers. this recipe is a healthy alternative for the fried potato chips.
15. chilli potato – a spicy starter snack from the indo-chinese cuisine where fried potatoes are tossed in a spicy, sour and slightly sweet chilli sauce. this chilli potato is a semi-dry version and is simply addictive and tasty.
17. aloo posto – traditional bengali recipe of potatoes in a lightly spiced poppy seeds paste.
18. aloo 65 – crisp and spicy potatoes. makes for a good starter snack. other similar variations are:
19. potato fry – simple, easy and tasty recipe of potato fry. aloo fry is one of those dishes that you can easily prepare for a quick lunch or dinner option.
20. potato sandwich – to make these grilled sandwiches with a spiced potato stuffing is very easy. all you need are some boiled potatoes, spices, butter and bread.
21. batata vada – a popular mumbai street food snack. in marathi language ‘potatoes’ are called as ‘batata’ and ‘vada’ means a ‘fried snack’. hence the name. in south india, batata vada is known as potato bonda. in mumbai and the rest of maharashtra this snack is called batata vada.
22. potato rice – this is one of those rice recipes that you fall back on when you do not have veggies. but you do have rice, potatoes and the regular indian spices-herbs in your kitchen
23. potato bhaji – warm and lightly spiced aloo bhaji or sabzi with hints of coriander, ginger and other indian spices. excellent with pooris or chapatis. this is the maharashtrian version of potato curry with pooris.
25. potato wedges – easy recipe of crispy baked potato wedges. potato wedges makes for a good finger food snack or a party snack. you can easily increase the proportions of all the ingredients and make a large batch for a party. serve baked potato wedges with tomato sauce or coriander chutney or pudina chutney.
aloo sabzi recipes – dry potato recipes
2. dry aloo matar – tangy, mildly spiced dry sabzi of baby potatoes with green peas. serve with rotis or bread.
5. aloo french beans recipe – spiced french beans and potatoes stir fry made in punjabi style. serve with rotis , parathas or bread.
6. chutney wale aloo – chatpata and tasty aloo or potatoes with coriander-mint green chutney.
7. aloo biryani recipe – hyderabadi style layered and dum cooked biryani made from baby potatoes. hence the name dum aloo biryani or aloo dum biryani. if you like biryani, then you can check this collection of 26 biryani recipes.
8. aloo chokha recipe – spiced mashed potatoes from the bihari cusine. aloo chokha is one of the side dishes that is served with litti chokha. i have also shared the accompaniments or sides served with litti – tomato chokha and baingan chokha recipe.
9. aloo gajar recipe – simple homely dry sabzi or veggie preparation with potatoes and carrots. being a dry sabzi and one which is not spicy, this aloo gajar recipe goes very well as tiffin box lunch with some soft chapatis or parathas.
10. potato capsicum – a semi gravy recipe of capsicum (green bell peppers) and potatoes in an onion-tomato base.
11. aloo patta gobhi sabzi recipe – potatoes and cabbage make a good combination in dry veggie dishes. this easy punjabi aloo patta gobhi sabzi is how i make at home. at times i also add some green peas to this sabzi. for more cabbage recipes, kindly check this link -> 14 cabbage recipes.
indian potato curry recipes
4. aloo gobi gravy – the classic aloo gobi in an onion and tomato based sauce simmered with spices. served with rotis or steamed rice.
5. aloo gobi matar – lightly spiced north indian curry made with cauliflower, peas and potatoes. served with rotis, pooris or bread.
8. bengali dum aloor – lightly spiced and slightly sweet potato curry made with onions, tomatoes and spices. served with luchi or pooris.
9. banarasi dum aloo – no onion no garlic recipe from the uttar pradesh cuisine of baby potatoes in a tomato based curry. served with luchis or pooris.
10. dahi aloo – an easy recipe of potatoes simmered in curd sauce. served with rotis or steamed rice.
11. potato peas korma – a south indian style potato peas korma made with coconut, poppy seeds, cashews and red chilies. served with rotis, parathas, pooris or steamed rice.
12. aloo kofta recipe – potato cheese koftas served on a bed of rich creamy spiced gravy. koftas are deep fried balls which can be made from veggies or paneer or cheese. few more kofta recipes on blog are:
13. aloo mushroom – this aloo mushroom recipe is spiced with a tang coming from the tomatoes and a mild sweetness, creaminess coming from the cashews and onions. this is an onion-tomato based gravy and tastes delicious with chapatis or even parathas. more mushroom recipes at this link -> 49 mushroom recipes.
14. aloo tamatar jhol recipe – one more easy recipe of a thin spiced potato and tomato curry. aloo jhol is a dish from the uttar pradesh cuisine and served with pooris. you can also serve this spiced potato curry with luchi or crisp pooris.
15. potato stew recipe – kerala style potato stew made with coconut milk and spices. the recipe of this potato stew is so easy to prepare and yet tastes so good. i prepare potato stew to go with appam or ghee rice. the recipe is similar to the veg stew recipe.
16. potato sagu – potato sagu is lightly spiced potato curry from the karnataka cuisine usually served with pooris, chapati, poha dosa or rava idli. like potato sagu, there is also a variation of sagu made with mixed veggies, which is known as veg sagu.
potato snacks recipes
1. tandoori aloo – marinated oven roasted baby potatoes. great starter or snack for any occasion.
3. dahi aloo tikki – a popular street food snack of potato patties topped with yogurt, sweet tamarind chutney, green chutney and spice blends.
5. dahi papdi chaat – a popular chaat snack which is sweet, spicy and tangy.
6. schezwan chilli potato – indo chinese recipe of fried crisp potatoes in spicy and hot schezwan chilli sauce.
7. ragda patties – Ragda Patties or Ragda Pattice is a popular bombay chaat recipe. In Ragda Patties, pan fried or shallow fried potato patties are topped with ragda (dried peas curry) and the various chaat chutneys, sev and spice powders. So the final dish has various textures, tastes and flavors – spicy, sweet, savory, tangy, crunchy, crispy, soft.
8. aloo tikka recipe – spiced & marinated potatoes which are either grilled or pan fried. this aloo tikka recipe uses curd for marination.
9. aloo chana chaat – spicy, tangy, sweet chaat recipe with boiled potatoes and white chickpeas. if you have some boiled chana left, then its pretty simple to assemble this chaat.
10. potato sev recipe – – crisp sev made with potatoes and gram flour (besan). the texture and taste of this potato sev recipe is not like aloo bhujia. the taste is like that of a spiced sev. they are crisp and chatpata. serve potato sev as tea-time snack or anytime snack.
11. aloo kulcha recipe – popular flat bread recipe from north indian cuisine. aloo kulcha are crisp as well as soft leavened breads stuffed with a spiced potato filling. kulcha is very popular in delhi and the state of punjab. i have already shared the recipes of plain kulcha, paneer kulcha and matar kulcha recipe. serve the kulcha with curd or mango pickle or with recipes like chana masala or dal makhani or dal bukhara.
12. frankie recipe – thin rotis stuffed with crisp aloo tikki, veggies and yogurt raita. the recipe is good for kids who love frankies or wraps. few more similar frankie recipes on blog are: