Potato podimas recipe With step by step photos – Potato podimas is basically mashed potatoes which are tempered and spiced with the regular South Indian spices and herbs.
This recipe of potato podimas is inspired from a South Indian restaurant which we used to frequent often in our childhood days. Their potato podimas used to be part of their South Indian thali and would be damn good. with few and easily available spices which are always stocked in an Indian kitchen, you can make this delicious potato podimas.
I make potato podimas often as it so simple and easy. I usually make the potato podimas with a rice based dish like tomato rice or coriander rice. They also go well with curd rice.
Another similar South Indian side dish made with potatoes is Potato roast. it is spicy and hot and is also served as an side dish with sambar rice or dal rice combo.
This potato podimas recipe is not spicy neither hot and is an excellent combination with pooris, chapatis. It can also be had as a side dish with sambar or rasam and steamed rice. This is also a satvik no onion no garlic recipe.
Two tips for making potato podimas
- If adding lemon juice and coconut, then add them towards the end. Switch off the gas stove and then add the lemon juice and coconut. Mix well.
- You can also add ¾ tsp of urad dal in the tempering. I avoid adding urad dal as they get stuck in the teeth 🙂
If you are looking for more Potato recipes then do check:
- 2 large potatoes (aloo)
- ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger (adrak) - optional
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice or as required (optional)
- some grated coconut (optional)
- salt as required
preparation to make potato podimas
- Boil or steam the potatoes in a pressure cooker or steamer till completely cooked and of mashable consistency.
- Peel and mash the potatoes coarsely when they are still hot or warm.
- You can also crumble the potatoes. Keep the roughly mashed potatoes aside.
making potato podimas
- Heat oil in a pan. Crackle the mustard seeds first. Then add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the green chilies, ginger, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Fry for 8-9 seconds. Add the mashed potatoes. Stir well.
- Add salt and saute for 3-4 minutes on a low flame stirring at times.
- Add the coriander leaves and saute for 1-2 minutes more on a low flame.
- Instead of sauteing with coriander leaves, you can also garnish the potato podimas with coriander leaves.
- Serve potato podimas hot with chapati, poori or sambar-rice, rasam-rice or dal-rice combo.
Preparation to make potato podimas
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making potato podimas.
2. Boil or steam 2 large potatoes in a pressure cooker or steamer. The potatoes should be completely cooked and of mashable consistency.
3. Peel and mash the potatoes coarsely when they are still hot or warm.
4. You can also crumble the potatoes. Keep the roughly mashed potatoes aside.
Making potato podimas
5. In a pan, heat 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil. Crackle ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai).
7. Then add ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera).
8. Let the cumin seeds splutter.
9. Add 1 chopped green chili and ½ teaspoon grated ginger.
10. Next add 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta), ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi) and ¼ teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing).
11. Fry for 8-9 seconds.
12. Then add the mashed potatoes.
13. Add salt as required.
14. Saute for 3-4 minutes on a low flame stirring at times.
15. Add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves.
16. Saute for 1-2 minutes more on a low flame. Instead of sauteing with coriander leaves, you can also garnish the potato podimas with coriander leaves.
17. Serve Potato podimas hot with chapati, poori or sambar-rice, rasam-rice or dal-rice combo.