aloo matar recipe with step by step photos and video – a simple yet delicious punjabi style aloo matar gravy which we often make at home. the recipe is an easy home style potato peas curry and not a restaurant style dish.
simple home style food is usually easier and quick to make. what i specially like about these recipes is that they are made with minimal ingredients and yet taste good. they also do not require much cooking expertise. a few more punjabi recipes in this genre:
i prefer to use fresh peas than frozen ones in any dish where matar is one of the main ingredient. if you do not have fresh green peas, then you can use frozen ones too. here i used fresh peas which were freezed. i generally buy 2 kilos of fresh peas and then pod them. after all the green peas are collected, i store them in the freezer in an air tight box. afterwards you can use these freezed peas to make variety of matar recipes.
in case you are interested, there is also a recipe of dry aloo matar already posted. i make the dry version of aloo matar when i plan to serve it with dal or a simple kadhi (yogurt based curry).
this aloo matar gravy recipe can be served with roti or parathas or pooris.
aloo matar recipe
aloo matar recipe
punjabi style aloo matar gravy recipe - a simple and home style recipe of punjabi peas and potatoes curry.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for grind to paste
- 1 medium onion OR 80 grams onions OR ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 medium to large tomatoes OR 150 grams tomatoes OR 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ inch ginger - chopped (adrak)
- 3 to 4 garlic - chopped (lahsun)
other ingredients for aloo matar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon fresh malai or low fat cream or almond or cashew powder (optional)
- 250 grams potaotes OR 3 medium or 2 large potatoes - peeled and diced
- 1 cup green peas - fresh or frozen (matar)
- a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or as required
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder or as required
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salt as required
how to make recipe
preparation for aloo matar recipe
take ½ cup chopped onion, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, ½ inch ginger (chopped) and 3 to 4 garlic (chopped) in a grinder or blender jar.
without adding any water, grind or blend to a smooth paste.
keep this ground paste aside.
making aloo matar
- heat oil in a pot or pressure cooker. first crackle the cumin seeds. then add the ground onion-tomato paste.
- stir and then add the ground almond/cashew powder or malai (cream).
- saute the ground paste till the oil releases from the sides. the masala paste will also thicken. the mixture splutters. so do cover partly with a lid. once the mixture stops spluttering, then remove the lid and saute.
- then add the asafoetida powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- stir and then add the peas and potatoes. saute for a minute. add water and salt.
stir well and cover the pot. simmer till the potatoes and peas are cooked well. if pressure cooking then add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles till the potatoes & peas are cooked completely.
- lastly sprinkle punjabi garam masala powder or garam masala powder and stir.
- then add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
stir well and serve aloo matar hot with pooris, chapatis or rice.
* to make the almond or cashew powder, just grind about 8-9 almonds or cashews in a small dry grinder or coffee grinder.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make aloo matar
1. take ½ cup chopped onion, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, ½ inch ginger (chopped) and 3 to 4 garlic (chopped) in a grinder or blender jar.
2. without adding any water, grind or blend to a smooth paste.
3. heat 2 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pot or pressure cooker. add ½ tsp cumin seeds and crackle them.
4. then add the ground onion-tomato paste.
5. stir well and and then add 1 tbsp malai (cream) or almond/cashew powder.
6. the masala mixture splutters, so cover the pot or cooker partly with a lid.
7. once the mixture stops spluttering, then remove the lid and saute.
8. do stir often so that the masala does not get browned from the base.
9. saute the ground paste till the oil releases from the sides. the masala paste will also thicken.
10. then add a generous pinch of asafoetida, ½ tsp red chilli powder and ¼ tsp turmeric powder. stir and mix the spice powders with the rest of the sauteed masala paste.
11. now add 1 cup green peas and 2 large potatoes (peeled & diced).
12. stir and saute for a minute.
13. pour 1.5 cups water if cooking in a pot. if pressure cooker then add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles till the potatoes & peas are cooked completely.
14. season with salt.
15. stir well and cover the pot.
16. simmer till the potatoes and peas are cooked well. if required, you can add some more water. in a pot, it will take about 25 to 30 minutes when being simmered on a low to medium flame.
17. lastly sprinkle ½ tsp garam masala powder. stir again.
17. then add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
18. stir well and serve punjabi aloo matar gravy hot with pooris or chapatis or rice or paratha. for more delicious potato recipes, you can check this collection of 65 potato recipes.